GDT: Colorado Rockies vs Minnesota North Stars - 6PM MST

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
most people's projected 2012-2013 D lines
Wilson-EJ
Hejda-ROB
Zanon/SOB/Hunwick (in some order)

I did not say Zanon was top 4 and if you reread the thread where Zanon was signed, most did not think he would be this bad of a player including some that now rail against Sherman about him.

I think Sherman was right to send Barrie down to let him play (I said PRESSBOX not minors)

Can't trade what no one wants so Barrie had to go down until there is room for him.

Ok, but Ryan O'Byrne is not a top 4 player either and neither is Jan Hejda, they are solid third pairing players just like O'Brien is, just like Zanon is and Hunwick isn't even an NHL calibre defenseman. Sherman was not right to send him down, he should have forced Sacco to play Barrie by realizing that Barrie was in fact our best defenceman in the absence of Johnson

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I'm a big Sherman-fan. But it is kinda his fault that some of our defenseman is playing so bad. We have barely a single d-man who can play big minutes. Which means that at least two or three has to play more minutes than they can handle. Zanon would probably be fine on a bottom pairing and playing 15 minutes a game.

No matter how many solid bottom pairing guys you have, they are gonna look horrible when they have to play in roles they can't handle.

Well, you have EJ?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I find it hard to believe that a coach can run a team into the ground like that then. If Sherman isn't on board with Sacco he will tell him "No, Barrie stays" and just send a guy like Mark Olver to the minors.

Its like Ralph Kruger in Edmonton not playing Justin Schultz, Steve Tambellini won't just send him to OKC because of that, even though Schultz has REALLY been struggling as of late

If Sherman had any clue on what to do with this team's back end, he'd have kept Tyson Barrie up and either sent Olver down, or found a trade for O'Byrne/Zanon/Hunwick, or placed one of them on waivers. Who honestly cares if we don't get a thing for those players, its not like they've warranted a return anyways

You're wrong. If the GM isn't happy he can fire the coach but there is no way Sherman would ever dictate who plays.

I guess Sherman could keep Barrie up here but what's the point if he's 7th/8th on Sacco's depth chart.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
You're wrong. If the GM isn't happy he can fire the coach but there is no way Sherman would ever dictate who plays.

I guess Sherman could keep Barrie up here but what's the point if he's 7th/8th on Sacco's depth chart.

That's where a GM MUST step in then! Obviously you don't dictate who plays on every given night but when its something so blatantly obvious as your best defenceman being scratched in favour of worse players, something is wrong there.

A good GM knows his team inside and out, but Sherman doesn't seem to know what is good for this team. Well, he seems to know for the forwards but on defense :help:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Oh Sacco :laugh:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
If Sherman had any clue on what to do with this team's back end, he'd have kept Tyson Barrie up and either sent Olver down, or found a trade for O'Byrne/Zanon/Hunwick, or placed one of them on waivers. Who honestly cares if we don't get a thing for those players, its not like they've warranted a return anyways

All the people that rave on and on about asset management

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
All the people that rave on and on about asset management

Lol I know exactly who you're talking about, but I just don't see the point. They have all been horrible for us this season, and some (I'm looking at you, Matt Hunwick) have been horrible for over a season, if three separate trades went down tomorrow shipping out O'Byrne, Hunwick, and Zanon for 7th round picks, I'd be ecstatic

Billy Mays Here*

Just popping in to say that I'm really glad to see Parenteau succeeding so much with you guys. Loving that he's shutting the mouths of all the naysayers that claimed he was just a product of Tavares. Had we not gotten Parise, I was really hoping we were going to get him. Won't comment on the game since I didn't see any of it (was at work) and because I don't wanna stir the pot or anything like that.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Just popping in to say that I'm really glad to see Parenteau succeeding so much with you guys. Loving that he's shutting the mouths of all the naysayers that claimed he was just a product of Tavares. Had we not gotten Parise, I was really hoping we were going to get him. Won't comment on the game since I didn't see any of it (was at work) and because I don't wanna stir the pot or anything like that.

Was never sure why the Rangers ever let him go, he's always had skill just really not the opportunity ala Martin St. Louis, I'm so glad we signed him

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
That's where a GM MUST step in then! Obviously you don't dictate who plays on every given night but when its something so blatantly obvious as your best defenceman being scratched in favour of worse players, something is wrong there.

A good GM knows his team inside and out, but Sherman doesn't seem to know what is good for this team. Well, he seems to know for the forwards but on defense :help:

A GM (or owner) who does not let his coach make his own decisions and do the coaching just further undermines any authority the coach may have. Soon players will go run to Sherman for more ice time, different linemates, easier practices, etc.
We all complain about PL "seemingly" making many of Sherman's decisions, so the same should correlate to Sherman and Sacco.

THE PRIMARY PROBLEM IS SACCO

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Lol I know exactly who you're talking about, but I just don't see the point. They have all been horrible for us this season, and some (I'm looking at you, Matt Hunwick) have been horrible for over a season, if three separate trades went down tomorrow shipping out O'Byrne, Hunwick, and Zanon for 7th round picks, I'd be ecstatic

On that we can agree!

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
A GM (or owner) who does not let his coach make his own decisions and do the coaching just further undermines any authority the coach may have. Soon players will go run to Sherman for more ice time, different linemates, easier practices, etc.
We all complain about PL "seemingly" making many of Sherman's decisions, so the same should correlate to Sherman and Sacco.

THE PRIMARY PROBLEM IS SACCO

I agree the problem is Sacco, but the primary problem is Stan Kroenke, and then Josh Kroenke, and then Pierre Lacroix, and then Greg Sherman, and then Joe Sacco. Its just a horribly run organization, we're slowly but surely becoming the New York Islanders and I can't stand it.

I agree that you can't undermine your coach's decisions but when its so blatantly obvious that he's making a mistake, you have to step in. If he wanted to sit him for a game because of a match-up scenario against a big team, then I'd understand. But to say he's fallen to 7/8 on the depth chart? What, fallen because he's on a two-way contract? Just so frustrating

Billy Mays Here*

He was originally a Ranger before going to the Islanders*

Sorry, couldn't resist

Really? Huh, didn't realize that. Good to know. Kinda like how the Islanders released Spurgeon and now he's with us playing regularly.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I don't even think ROR looked all that great, he had a handful of solid shifts but he did nothing to warrant getting paired with our top 2 wingers. I think he should be playing with Landeskog consistently, but if Sacco is seriously considering moving PAP away from Duchene he should be committed to the psych ward. The combo is one of the top scoring pairings in the Western conference and they have worked real hard to create some chemistry, and now that they have it, Saccos brilliant idea is to split them up. This is BS and Duchene deserves better.

It better have been a emergency thing that only happened because of what you mentioned. If not I'm going to go down to the Pepsi center personally and kicking Sacco in the nuts and then saying to him "you know why".

Are you crazy?!?!?! He drew the penalty that led to the powerplay that resulted in the first goal and made the play that resulted in the Landeskog goal. He did more than most of our forwards.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
He made the NHL as a Rag.

And to those saying Hejda isn't a top 4 d-man, give your head a shake.

Hejda is certainly a top 4.

In a perfect world...

XXXX - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Wilson - O'Brien/O'Byrne/Hunwick/Zanon/Elliott

We just have to make that trade for EJ's partner soon.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He made the NHL as a Rag.

And to those saying Hejda isn't a top 4 d-man, give your head a shake.

Is he a top 4 d-man on this team? Absolutely

Is he a top 4 d-man on a good team? I don't think so, maybe a few years ago but to me he isn't anymore. He'd be a great 3rd pairing guy but not top 4. I'll use Chicago as just one example, not trying to prove a point heavily here but I wouldn't play a guy like Hejda over Keith, Seabrook, Leddy, or Hjalmarsson. However, I think that if any of those players were on this team, they'd immediately become 1st pairing d-men with Johnson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad