GDT: Colorado Aveslanche @ San Jose | 8 PM MT

What if the Avs lose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
One more thing, Georgiev looks dialled in to start the season so that's great. I wasn't expecting him to fall off a cliff or something, but there's always a little doubt about a non established goalie year in year out. Looks like Sasha picked off from where he left last season.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
While Johansen and Drouin are flawed, I appreciate them being able to make tape to tape passes. Reduces the risk of MacKinnon injuring them in practice as well.

Yeah, maybe.

Also, MacKinnon this week in practice…

IMG_3085.gif

Lol at Sakic behind the glass and nobody on the ice caring one iota, just usual MacK stuff.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Lol at Sakic behind the glass and nobody on the ice caring one iota, just usual MacK stuff.
f***ing kek, so this was the stick breaking incident because of poor ice?

'Gotta love MacKinnon. His intensity is just on another level. Imagine if he was a robot like McDavid or Crosby? f*** that. The crazy ones always give you the best ride and entertainment.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Thinks, reads the game at a super high level.

Skills like hand eye coordination is second nature for him. Insanely talented.

He just willingly chooses not to work hard, that’s what drives coaches nuts. He could consistently be one of the three stars of the night but hates sacrifice.
At least he seems to turn it up for the playoffs and that’s all that matters.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I haven't read this thread so not sure if anybody has written something similar, but that was the easiest 45+ shot save shutout I've seen a goaler have until Makar scored. Give credit to Blackwood for being in the zone, but every single one of those shots was with zero screens and very few tips. Guess what? Makar's goal happens strictly because of a double screen. Avs kept constantly trying to beat him 1v1 and he (MacKenzie) was having none of it.

It was still a great performance by the Avs, but like issues from 4-5 years back, if the first line ain't scoring in a game, then there is a good chance we will lose the game. That's why I think we ain't the best team in the league at the moment. Not enough finishers and I still dislike that third line immensely. I get that Wood and Tatar played on the same team, but I don't think they ever played on the same line. Thinking of putting three different blokes together and somehow hoping for chemistry is funny by the coaching staff. Bednar has also failed on the powerplay, taking Drouin off of it and putting Johansen who moves the puck so slowly is asking for it to be neutered (Lehkonen hasn't been good on the PP as well). I saw yesterday as an almost big-time Bednar mistake than the players not showing up.

Last edited:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Blackwood had great anticipation, side to side, we kept shooting low on him. I noticed mikko went to shelf on him after he had dropped.
The goaltending I don’t usually watch that closely but it was pretty Stella on both sides last night.
This happens when the Avs play the sharks. Remember when Kahkonnen had a game like blackwood had last night? Remember when Josef Korenar did the same against the Avs? I dont know what it is with the Sharks but the Avs love making their goalies look like prime Hasek. Ditto Arizona.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Makar needs 22 assists in 18 games to beat Hughes fastest to 200 points. Hopefully he pulls it off. He scores too many goals, not that it’s a bad thing.

Reactions: The Moops

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
One more thing, Georgiev looks dialled in to start the season so that's great. I wasn't expecting him to fall off a cliff or something, but there's always a little doubt about a non established goalie year in year out. Looks like Sasha picked off from where he left last season.
He looks amazing to start. If he can sustain this level of play into the playoffs the Avs might get past round 1.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014

He’s top-10 in my eyes and when you look out West, how many goalies are better? Oettinger, certainly. Probably Hellebuyck and Saros too.

He’s up there though. He definitely gives me more confidence than Grubauer did. Even when Grubauer was putting up good numbers, I didn’t feel he was as good as the numbers indicated.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
He’s top-10 in my eyes and when you look out West, how many goalies are better? Oettinger, certainly. Probably Hellebuyck and Saros too.
I mean Saros and Hellebuyck are better than Oettinger. Saros for me is the #4 behind the Russian trio of Vasy, Sorokin and Shesterkin. Hellebuyck #5. But Oettinger is right after that, and that is about the list of "elite" goalies you know are going to be good. After that, it's a whole bunch of guess work. We won the cup with Kuemper. Vegas won with Hill. St. Louis won with Binnington. None of these are elite goalies, they just happened to play good. Apart from Kuemper, who had the worst stretch of goaltending for a SC winning goalie in like over 30 years. Makes our run even more impressive, probably the most dominant run in the salary cap era.

But back to Georgiev. He gives up the odd easy one, but that happens. I really like his reactions, because while we as a team defend well, it calls for quick reactions sometimes because when we break down we break down big time. I think as an Avs goalie you really need to make a few game savers every night, but you don't have to face a constant onslaught.

Parkkila has done wonders to this teams goaltending as well, good thing we just extended him.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I haven't read this thread so not sure if anybody has written something similar, but that was the easiest 45+ shot save shutout I've seen a goaler have until Makar scored. Give credit to Blackwood for being in the zone, but every single one of those shots was with zero screens and very few tips. Guess what? Makar's goal happens strictly because of a double screen. Avs kept constantly trying to beat him 1v1 and he (MacKenzie) was having none of it.

It was still a great performance by the Avs, but like issues from 4-5 years back, if the first line ain't scoring in a game, then there is a good chance we will lose the game. That's why I think we ain't the best team in the league at the moment. Not enough finishers and I still dislike that third line immensely. I get that Wood and Tatar played on the same team, but I don't think they ever played on the same line. Thinking of putting three different blokes together and somehow hoping for chemistry is funny by the coaching staff. Bednar has also failed on the powerplay, taking Drouin off of it and putting Johansen who moves the puck so slowly is asking for it to be neutered (Lehkonen hasn't been good on the PP as well). I saw yesterday as an almost big-time Bednar mistake than the players not showing up.
2 - 0 after 2 and everyone's a critic. How'd ya like to be 0 - 2 with TB being your next opponent.

You guys never had it so good....... LOL

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

I didn't watch the game, but just watching thr highlights showed the Avs had a TON of glorious, grade-A chances either get stopped, hit ths post, or get pushed off the goal line.

They should have had 5 last night.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I didn't watch the game, but just watching thr highlights showed the Avs had a TON of glorious, grade-A chances either get stopped, hit ths post, or get pushed off the goal line.

They should have had 5 last night.
Agreed, my post had to do with when a goaler is on his game, you gotta make it tougher on him. Avs had some brilliant chances no doubt that we gotta give credit to Blackwood, but very few of those 50-ish shots had traffic or tips. A ton of them were straight at him where he kept gobbling them up. Again, Makar's GTG was due to traffic and I suggest that Avs would've been up 3-0 by the third period if they changed their game plan for those elements of traffic, tips, and rebounds. They kept trying to go for bar and downs and one-timers every single time besides the floaters from the point.

Also, Byram was by far the worst player for us yesterday IMHO.
2 - 0 after 2 and everyone's a critic. How'd ya like to be 0 - 2 with TB being your next opponent.

You guys never had it so good....... LOL
I don't care about your "what ifs," Avs should've been 5-1 yet made it tougher on themselves than what actually happened.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
As Bednar said, effort was there, execution was not.

Only two games in but scoring depth already a concern. Apart from Colton and Olofsson I am not loving the new additions but again, 80 more games to go.

As for the Sharks, holy f***ing shit if they’re not the worst team in the league they’d better demote the team that is because hockey that bad should be illegal.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site

Only two games in but scoring depth already a concern. Apart from Colton and Olofsson I am not loving the new additions but again, 80 more games to go.

As for the Sharks, holy f***ing shit if they’re not the worst team in the league they’d better demote the team that is because hockey that bad should be illegal.

It’s actually a joy to watch how invisible players like Ryjo and Drouin are even when surrounded by world class talent. It takes a special kind of skill to do that.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Wood is skating hard but that line has a full time passenger on it in Tatar.

Drouin also showed last night why he only makes what he makes.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Indeed. I dont think these line combos are working honestly. I really don't think Drouin/Mack/Mikko can work long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad