GDT: Colorado Aveslanche @ San Jose | 8 PM MT

What if the Avs lose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bowe Byrum

Nov 22, 2021
People put too much stock into centres for faceoffs. You have to teach faceoffs to the entire 5 man unit.

Your centre can win a draw clean but if his winger lets the other winger by without setting a pick/bumping him, there's no scoring opportunity.

If you win a defensive zone draw clean but their winger jumps our defensemen and gets to the puck in the corner first, what was the point of that faceoff win?

It's a 5-man endeavor.
You'e taught not to win the faceoff in the defensive end but just try not to lose it.

Last edited:

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
People put too much stock into centres for faceoffs. You have to teach faceoffs to the entire 5 man unit.

Your centre can win a draw clean but if his winger lets the other winger by without setting a pick/bumping him, there's no scoring opportunity.

If you win a defensive zone draw clean but their winger jumps our defensemen and gets to the puck in the corner first, what was the point of that faceoff win?

It's a 5-man endeavor.
Centers are overrated, period

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
One of the other things that get a little overlooked is that Bednar gives some value to winning faceoffs but he also doesn't give his centers much puck support immediately following the draw. Some coaches have a guy, either a winger or even a d-man, rush in to either scoop up the puck or get after the opposition if the draw is lost, I don't typically see that with Bednar's system. They also don't always position themselves well to receive the puck in the event they win the puck. It was actually kinda revelatory when Johansen was telling MacKinnon where to line up in OT, I don't that happening with Kadri very much, I certainly don't remember it with guys like MacKinnon/Landeskog either.

I've mentioned it before but McGahey was dead-on when he said "even when the Avs win faceoffs, they lose them". It's true.

The thing that annoyed me most about the lost NZ draw that resulted in that Kings goal wasn't that they lost, or even the misplay by Georgiev, but that all five guys moved up the ice WAY too soon, leaving their half of the ice wide open.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
One of the other things that get a little overlooked is that Bednar gives some value to winning faceoffs but he also doesn't give his centers much puck support immediately following the draw. Some coaches have a guy, either a winger or even a d-man, rush in to either scoop up the puck or get after the opposition if the draw is lost, I don't typically see that with Bednar's system. They also don't always position themselves well to receive the puck in the event they win the puck. It was actually kinda revelatory when Johansen was telling MacKinnon where to line up in OT, I don't that happening with Kadri very much, I certainly don't remember it with guys like MacKinnon/Landeskog either.

I've mentioned it before but McGahey was dead-on when he said "even when the Avs win faceoffs, they lose them". It's true.

The thing that annoyed me most about the lost NZ draw that resulted in that Kings goal wasn't that they lost, or even the misplay by Georgiev, but that all five guys moved up the ice WAY too soon, leaving their half of the ice wide open.
You could tell that was a set play to try and get a jump on the sleeping KIngs players... Turns out the Avs were the ones sleeping.

Reactions: Pokecheque

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
One of the other things that get a little overlooked is that Bednar gives some value to winning faceoffs

Saying he only gives it "some value" is massively underselling how much importance Bednar put on faceoffs. He always wants a right handedness center to take important and PP draws. Last year when Compher wasn't winning enough draws in the playoffs, he even put Eller on the top line in an act of desperation.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I've seen more in two games of Colton than I ever did from Jimothy Timothy

Detroit seems happy with him, what they are forgetting, is that it's a long season lol.

Although I guess he does have a really strong friendship with Larkin. So maybe he actually tries more often than not, and feels accountable.

Still think that contract will age like spilt milk, but we'll see lol.

Colton is awesome so far, let's hope he can finish a little better and puts up points like Lehky instead of LOC/Calvert.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Detroit seems happy with him, what they are forgetting, is that it's a long season lol.

Although I guess he does have a really strong friendship with Larkin. So maybe he actually tries more often than not, and feels accountable.

Still think that contract will age like spilt milk, but we'll see lol.

Colton is awesome so far, let's hope he can finish a little better and puts up points like Lehky instead of LOC/Calvert.
This begs the question does spilled milk spoil faster than if you just left a glass on the counter and what about the whole carton? Thank you for the insane rabbit hole I’m about to go down only to realize it’s been 4 hours when I’m done

• Haha
Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
This begs the question does spilled milk spoil faster than if you just left a glass on the counter and what about the whole carton? Thank you for the insane rabbit hole I’m about to go down only to realize it’s been 4 hours when I’m done

Or you can just wait and see what happens with JT lol.

thedoctor

                    
Aug 28, 2007
I love how @Ceremony and I are completely kidding, bringing up completely dead horse topics from the last year... and somehow several people instantly take the bait and start rehashing them for the 5892437th time.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I love how @Ceremony and I are completely kidding, bringing up completely dead horse topics from the last year... and somehow several people instantly take the bait and start rehashing them for the 5892437th time.
I was curious to see how Jimothy was doing in Detroit so I went for a look on their board. He does all the little things! He does it consistently every night! What a contract!

snow-white-witch.gif

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I was curious to see how Jimothy was doing in Detroit so I went for a look on their board. He does all the little things! He does it consistently every night! What a contract!

snow-white-witch.gif

Yeah I literally asked, they love him, but he has been good to start.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Agreed, my post had to do with when a goaler is on his game, you gotta make it tougher on him. Avs had some brilliant chances no doubt that we gotta give credit to Blackwood, but very few of those 50-ish shots had traffic or tips. A ton of them were straight at him where he kept gobbling them up. Again, Makar's GTG was due to traffic and I suggest that Avs would've been up 3-0 by the third period if they changed their game plan for those elements of traffic, tips, and rebounds. They kept trying to go for bar and downs and one-timers every single time besides the floaters from the point.

Also, Byram was by far the worst player for us yesterday IMHO.

I don't care about your "what ifs," Avs should've been 5-1 yet made it tougher on themselves than what actually happened.
That surprises you? They always put themselves in that position when they run into a hot goalie.

I enjoyed the game waiting and watching for when they finally broke the goalie. Damn entertaining. Goalies get hot sometimes. That's hockey and it keeps it interesting. There's really nothing to bitch about.......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad