GDT: Colorado Avalanche@ Winnipeg Jets 10/26/14 1 PM MDT

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I've seen him twice and was nothing special either time.

for the avs we need to get a big body for the 3rd line or someone who plays big.

But one week ago you said you never seen him play? How can you judge a kid after two games? And actually, how you could you have an already draft-ready scouting report on two games? And if you must know he has three points in his last two games (G and 2 primary assists)(in the games you have had to watched since you told me you haven't seen him play a week ago) playing MUCH tougher and physically mature opponents.

Remember he is one of the youngest players to ever play college hockey and already is posting PPG. In a league where 23, 24, and 25 year olds are playing in.

It's like you actual haven't watched him, say he's crap because he's non-Canadian, and then lie about watching him play...

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Buff just dominated us this game.

and damn landys wasting a lot of scoring chances. Not just todays game but I've seen it numerous times this season where Mackinnon makes a quick pass to Landy in front of the net just for him to whiff on it or shoot wide. I know it's sometimes around his feet and stuff but damn I wish he scores on one of those. Mackinnon isn't playing good but Landy's playing worse. Hope he turns it around soon.

I agree. Neither of them are on their game right now. O'Reilly looks pretty good though, but having those two guys not executing is making him look bad.

Also, the third line looked really bad today too. When McGinn, Mitchell, and Talbot aren't playing like maniacs and hitting everything they see, they're not very effective.

And despite some solid defensive plays here and there (especially in OT) Stuart was still hot garbage. Completely left his man down low to pursue the puck in one sequence leading to an easy pass and scoring chance against down low.

The only line clicking right now is Tangs/Dutch/Iggy, but Tanguay is so freakin' slow he's become a defensive liability. Iggy ain't much in the speed department either but he's at least generating chances.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
You're right , the problem is not the 4th line guys , the problem is our Dcore AND the System . WE look lost in our zone , the other team can do pretty much whatever they want .

Seriously, the "system" looks exactly like Sacco's right now. They just crowd down low, lose puck battles/races, leave the points wide open, and halfheartedly block shots.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Seriously, the "system" looks exactly like Sacco's right now. They just crowd down low, lose puck battles/races, leave the points wide open, and halfheartedly block shots.

You're right , We are passive as hell in our zone and when we're not passive we chasse the puck arround like headless chickens.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
You're right , We are passive as hell in our zone and when we're not passive we chasse the puck arround like headless chickens.

Yes. Maybe our system in general just does not work as well as last year now that teams have tape on us (especially against Minnesota in Minnesota) and had time to go over it. Our execution is terrible as well.

But I think the main problem is talent. For how many years have we fielded 3 or more defenders that nobody besides us wanted or that we picked up off the street?

It just does not work. Players like Barrie or Holden have to be rushed and thrusted into a too big role early on.
And besides EJ (to some extent) we really do not have any defenders that excell at defending AND moving the puck/ getting it out of the zone.
Stuart (who was fine today from what Ive seen) is just not what we needed at all.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Forwards need to create offense though. We are not losing 6-2 every game. They need to create more than 1 goal. As much as you guys want to say it's just Roy spin but most every game they are losing by 1 goal.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It was still a pathetic effort. There's a reason Winnipeg gets dominated by nearly everyone else except Colorado, and it's not because the Jets suddenly turn it on when they see guys dressed in burgundy.

Avs played a slow, pensive game throughout and tried to force stuff that wasn't there all game long. They also hardly challenged Pavelec at all.

Disagree. I think the effort was relatively ok. Some moments where they were off, but not that many. Winnipeg forced them to play a very tight methodical game, just like Minny does when they play. It became a very tight checking affair in the 2nd half, especially after they lost EJ.

I thought the Jets played a very hard game, and I think the game just had a weird feel to it most of the day, which happens sometimes with these afternoon games.

If they would have won in OT or the SO, it would have been looked at completely different.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
How does MacK get more ice time when IMO he looks so lost in every zone?

When the Avs are close in games, Roy won't risk losing it with poor(er) defensive play just to get MacK some time.

If it is a blowout, fine let him learn on the fly, but right now he is a liability out there defensively, and the Avs have enough trouble as it is covering in their own zone.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Agree. MacKinnon hasn't deserved any more ice time than he's gotten. He's been garbage so far this season, offensively AND defensively. Something's gotta be wrong, injury or something?

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
You don't even need to be a fancy stats nerd to realize that if you stay aggressive in the neutral zone, you control the flow of the game. All game long the Jets skaters just coasted right through the middle without a single Avs player challenging them. Avs were way too busy sitting back trying some weird trap at their own blueline to bother. Meanwhile, the Avs on more than a few occasions had to dump it in because a Jets defender had them lined up perfectly.

I wish the coaches would show the players video of when they're playing an aggressive game in the neutral zone vs. when they don't. Completely different results nearly every time.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Because he's one of the best players on the team that needs to be put in a position to succeed. It's not like he's 18 with 10 NHL games, he's proved what he can do. No he doesn't have years of experience and still needs to work out the kinks but give him a chance to make a difference. He needs to feel that kind of pressure, not the score a goal in your 14 minutes if time pressure. He's a special player and this team won't go anywhere without getting the most out of him. This teams problem is still offense more than defense.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Disagree. I think the effort was relatively ok. Some moments where they were off, but not that many. Winnipeg forced them to play a very tight methodical game, just like Minny does when they play. It became a very tight checking affair in the 2nd half, especially after they lost EJ.

I thought the Jets played a very hard game, and I think the game just had a weird feel to it most of the day, which happens sometimes with these afternoon games.

If they would have won in OT or the SO, it would have been looked at completely different.

I don't know how you could possibly say that when nearly every Avs player looked about five steps slower than even the slowest Winnipeg skater.

And no, even if they had eked out a win, I still would've been pissed about this game. It was tough to watch throughout.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Because he's one of the best players on the team that needs to be put in a position to succeed. It's not like he's 18 with 10 NHL games, he's proved what he can do. No he doesn't have years of experience and still needs to work out the kinks but give him a chance to make a difference. He needs to feel that kind of pressure, not the score a goal in your 14 minutes if time pressure. He's a special player and this team won't go anywhere without getting the most out of him. This teams problem is still offense more than defense.

Perhaps that special player should earn that ice time and make it impossible to justify limiting it.

Is it then the same for those other "special" players like Landy and ROR? Not many are clamoring to hand them more minutes or more opportunities.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Perhaps that special player should earn that ice time and make it impossible to justify limiting it.

Is it then the same for those other special players like Landy and ROR? Not many are clamoring to hand them more minutes or more opportunities.

I do, I think they should be split up to get the best out of them. This team won't get right until O'Reilly is back with Duchene. O'Reilly getting 17 minutes today isn't right either. Landy got 16 a few games ago, I said that wasn't right. It's not like anyone has earned more minutes and are better. It's important to get the most out of those 3.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I actually think MacKinnon has been decent defensively. He's clearly working at it and I see the improvement. I also remember him winning 3 straight defensive zone faceoffs after the defense kept turning it over.

It's offensively where he's been a mess.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't know how you could possibly say that when nearly every Avs player looked about five steps slower than even the slowest Winnipeg skater.

And no, even if they had eked out a win, I still would've been pissed about this game. It was tough to watch throughout.

I can say that because I don't think it was a matter of effort, or that they were flat. I think a lot of that had to do with how Winnepeg was playing. They played very hard, and made things very hard on the Avs.

They didn't exactly play their A game for a full 60, but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as some are making it out to be. Afternoon games are a mixed bag anyway, I never read that much into them.

The Jets may have had some bad games this year, but they're not a bad team. I don't think we faced that same kind of team tonight that other did earlier. The same way we were playing like crap for most of the season, but that wasn't the team Vancouver faced the other night.

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Most of Jets shots came from the outside. They had 34 shots blocked, which is good for corsi but also an indication that they take a lot of low percentage shots from the points.

But they played with greater desperation than Avs did and that's why they won so many 50/50 situations. Only the bigger Avs players seemed to do well in puck battles (Landeskog, Stuart, Iginla). O'Reilly is listed as 210 pounds and he's had one, possibly two, hits this year. I get that poking with the stick is his thing but he's needs to play the body more. He has guys lined up and pulls on the breaks and starts poking. Ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad