News Article: Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
On one hand, I can't blame Altitude for agreeing to a deal with Dish and Comcast that will essentially run them out of business and force them to sell to the SPNs those cable providers already own. On the other hand, they were kinda foolish to break away from the nice TV/radio deals that were already in place and create their own network. The sports landscape was already shifting when they decided to do this, and unlike the Yankees, the Avs and Nuggets don't have nearly as big a fanbase to have pulled something like this off successfully.

I suppose though, if not for Altitude we wouldn't have the Laurens, so in the end it was worth it.

All Altitude needs to figure out is a deal to stream on Amazon Prime or YouTubeTV. If they do that, many will just join those instead...

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
D2sJ2c5XQAIA3bN.jpg:large

(will be testing that out on ESPN+ this year)

Good luck, I have had no success with ESPN+ and VPNs. And my other reliable source just went down.... so great

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
On one hand, I can't blame Altitude for agreeing to a deal with Dish and Comcast that will essentially run them out of business and force them to sell to the SPNs those cable providers already own. On the other hand, they were kinda foolish to break away from the nice TV/radio deals that were already in place and create their own network. The sports landscape was already shifting when they decided to do this, and unlike the Yankees, the Avs and Nuggets don't have nearly as big a fanbase to have pulled something like this off successfully.

I suppose though, if not for Altitude we wouldn't have the Laurens, so in the end it was worth it.

What is the deal that Altitude claims will run them out of business again? I just have a hard time seeing how taking $0 from Comcast the last three years was a better move for them financially.

It would be one thing if they found an alternative way to stream games themselves, but regardless of how insulting that Comcast offer was, they didn't replace it with anything, and clearly they need Comcast more than Comcast needs them.

I just don't understand the negotiating philosophy to turn down the offer, complain about it for three years, and just continue to go without a major broadcast provider for local fans. It makes no sense. How is Altitude better off without a Comcast deal than with a bad one?

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Good luck, I have had no success with ESPN+ and VPNs. And my other reliable source just went down.... so great

That's going to be a constant battle. Disney has the best VPN detection there is of any streaming company. Will be interesting to see if they win that battle.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
What is the deal that Altitude claims will run them out of business again? I just have a hard time seeing how taking $0 from Comcast the last three years was a better move for them financially.

It would be one thing if they found an alternative way to stream games themselves, but regardless of how insulting that Comcast offer was, they didn't replace it with anything, and clearly they need Comcast more than Comcast needs them.

I just don't understand the negotiating philosophy to turn down the offer, complain about it for three years, and just continue to go without a major broadcast provider for local fans. It makes no sense. How is Altitude better off without a Comcast deal than with a bad one?
Yeah take the shitty deal for one year and work on your plan B should have been the decision from day 1.

If you don’t have a BATNA you are dead.

Reactions: Foppa2118

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
I ditch Comcast next week. Lucky for me the City of Fort Collins has installed a locally managed broadband service. They carry Altitude and supposedly fast internet.

Also saves me at least $30 a month.

I'm moving to Longmont and I'm so appreciative of a city that does their own broadband. They do drop the lines for Comcast and CenturyLink in your yard but it's such a joke when you can get 1gig up/down for literally the same price as their garbage.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
It wasn't the F word that people reacted to, you dolt. It was the rambling incoherency of a "question" by someone who should ostensibly know better.
The F word was just window dressing.

Reactions: madman and Bonzai12

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Watching some of these journalists crash and burn later on their careers makes me appreciative of guys like Woody Paige and Peter King that still keep trucking on and remain respected in the industry.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Watching some of these journalists crash and burn later on their careers makes me appreciative of guys like Woody Paige and Peter King that still keep trucking on and remain respected in the industry.

I haven't followed Woody Paige much since he stopped reporting on the Avs, but is he really respected now? He was a complete ass hat back in the day, similar to Kiszla. The few times I've seen him since then, he seemed the same.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I haven't followed Woody Paige much since he stopped reporting on the Avs, but is he really respected now? He was a complete ass hat back in the day, similar to Kiszla. The few times I've seen him since then, he seemed the same.
No one is similar to Kiszla.

I did have occasion to meet Woody back in the day and he treated me fantastically.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
No one is similar to Kiszla.

I did have occasion to meet Woody back in the day and he treated me fantastically.

Maybe not exactly, but lots of people have tried to make a living with that shock jock style. You just say bombastic things, give a bunch of hot takes, and act unapologetic about it. I remember Woody doing that a lot back in the day, but again I haven't followed him in a while.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Maybe not exactly, but lots of people have tried to make a living with that shock jock style. You just say bombastic things, give a bunch of hot takes, and act unapologetic about it. I remember Woody doing that a lot back in the day, but again I haven't followed him in a while.
He mainly makes fun of other cities. Kiszla is completely disingenuous.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Woody Paige has gone the Harry Caray route, imo. The old lovable drunk who can barely spit out 2 sentences of legible thoughts. When he can spit them out he has a credible viewpoint, but it gets fewer and further between the older he gets.

At least that’s the way he is on Around the Horn.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Still not clear why you call him an absolute dipshit though :laugh:

Before he became a mindless shill, Mike Evans and Sandy Clough hosted a fantastic morning show on The Fan. Then they replaced Sandy with Lou and he was so goddamned insufferable the producer (who himself had a funny segment they called "Deep Thoughts") quit. Dude put no effort into the job and was hired by the local hockey/basketball station at the time, and yet his passion was baseball. He didn't give a damn about the Avs and Mike regularly had to keep him on-task. He abruptly quit himself to go do whatever the hell it was he was doing before. Every time he called someone "Cuz!" on the air I wanted to punch a hole in the wall.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Ugh I couldn’t stand Sandy Clough. Dude was so incredibly full of himself. When they finally moved him to the late time slot (when nobody listens) I did cartwheels.

I always loved Scott Hastings actually on the Fan. He was great on radio - I actually don’t think he does as great on TV.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Woody Paige has gone the Harry Caray route, imo. The old lovable drunk who can barely spit out 2 sentences of legible thoughts. When he can spit them out he has a credible viewpoint, but it gets fewer and further between the older he gets.

At least that’s the way he is on Around the Horn.
LOL! Remember Paige wanted to nickname the Avs as the "lanche".

Just a southern boy who never learned to put socks on his feet!! LOL

Reactions: 5280
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad