News Article: Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Seriously weird for an organization whose two Cups came thanks to the final missing piece being an elite goalie in Patrick Roy who he credits Francois Allaire with...and then after Roy leaves have the resources for goaltending be at a minimal. Goaltending has always felt like something the organization always reacts to with very little thinking ahead. They have been absolutely unprepared for the team to be contending and have a stable goalie backstopping the team. Their highest goalie draft picks have both been 3rd rounders. That would be acceptable if they had some sort of quantity. They don't though. Goaltending has been a rather large mess in this organization and we keep having to spend multiple assets to temporarily fix the hole for 2-3 years.

You put it perfectly with the bolded.

And they're still doing it, just look at this off season. They spent years trying to nurture Timmins along and develop his game, while looking after his health, and taking things very slowly with him. Only to unexpectedly be forced to trade him, because they played hardball and lost with Grubauer, and then had to scramble to make a trade for another injury prone goaltender.

And then if Kuemper or Francouz get injured again (knock on wood they don't) they'll probably be scrambling again, without a solid plan like they did last year when they didn't replace Franky until around the deadline.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Not only do you have to draft goalies high you have to commit to developing them and put them in a position to start in 3-4 years. Avs would rather pay someone else to do it.

At least they broke down and signed a proper 3rd goaltender, which they haven’t done in years.

Reactions: Richard88

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Not only do you have to draft goalies high you have to commit to developing them and put them in a position to start in 3-4 years. Avs would rather pay someone else to do it.

I've always felt they'd rather pay someone else to do this, because they don't have any faith in their goalie drafting ability either.

That's also why I think they're scared to draft a goalie higher than the 3rd. They think they'll be wasting the pick.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don’t think you have to draft goalies high. Frankly a LOT of first round goalie prospect bust. Hell, I think a lot more goalies could be found via undrafted free agents if teams would just be willing to scout and sign them.

But I don’t like the strategy that deliberately limits the emphasis on developing a goalie at all (the European strategy). There just needed to be an actual commitment to finding an internal solution.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
When I think of Theodore, the first 3 things that pop into my head aren't even hockey-related:
His kid dying
Rogaine
Paris Hilton

After that it might be his fanboy we had on these boards. Then maybe his Hart win. Then how Budaj went super-goalie to end the season when he was out.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I don’t think you have to draft goalies high. Frankly a LOT of first round goalie prospect bust. Hell, I think a lot more goalies could be found via undrafted free agents if teams would just be willing to scout and sign them.

But I don’t like the strategy that deliberately limits the emphasis on developing a goalie at all (the European strategy). There just needed to be an actual commitment to finding an internal solution.

From the 2005 to 2016 draft here's some facts:
-12 goalies have been taken in the first round, 8 have played at least one season in the NHL
-First round goalies to make it: Carey Price, Tuukka Rask, Jonathan Bernier, Semyon Varlamov, Jack Campbell, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Ilya Samsonov, Malcolm Subban
-Highest overall goalie to bust is Riku Helenius at 15th overall
-10/12 first round picks were in the latter half of the 1st round which is where you generally see more busts anyways from all positions
-In this time period 41.3% (38) of goalies from rounds 1-3 have made it at least one season in the NHL, 13.8% (23) have made it from the last four rounds of the draft
-Now I do agree that goalie development still has a ways to go in the NHL & maybe there's a few gems out there that have gone undrafted however talent eventually wins out
-Undrafted goalies in NHL last season: Martin Jones, Antti Raanta, Carter Hutton, Kevin Lankinen, Cam Talbot, Sergei Bobrovskiy, Casey DeSmith, Alexandar Georgiev, David Rittich....so a lot of back-ups, some guys who had very short peaks, & one goalie who was an actual long term solution.

If the goal is finding a long term solution in net in terms of a starter then drafting high is more likely than not going to give you that goalie. Drafting late you need to go for quantity. Undrafted free agents are good for filling temp back up holes & maybe for a season will provide starting level quality but you'll still always be looking for that true starter. It's worth exploring all options to keep the depth strong but if you want your best shot at a starting goalie you aim high.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
When I think of Theodore, the first 3 things that pop into my head aren't even hockey-related:
His kid dying
Rogaine
Paris Hilton

After that it might be his fanboy we had on these boards. Then maybe his Hart win. Then how Budaj went super-goalie to end the season when he was out.
The hat

20080423__20080424_C02_SP24THEOTIMEp1.jpg

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I forgot all about Paris Hilton. We were all ecstatic that we might be able to check her out in the stands when he got traded here. Hilarious.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
He dated Paris? Damn :laugh:

He had a really good interview on Spittin Chicklets too. Don't really care for that show but they do have great guests sometimes.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He dated Paris? Damn :laugh:

He had a really good interview on Spittin Chicklets too. Don't really care for that show but they do have great guests sometimes.
I loved me some Theo, got insanely bashed because people thought he was a punk. The Hilton thing though if I remember correctly was tabloid-esque stuff because he was married and spent a weekend away from his pregnant wife to go hang out with her. It was shady stuff for a married bloke.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
I loved me some Theo, got insanely bashed because people thought he was a punk. The Hilton thing though if I remember correctly was tabloid-esque stuff because he was married and spent a weekend away from his pregnant wife to go hang out with her. It was shady stuff for a married bloke.

you're correct

Reactions: S E P H

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Theodore also tested positive for steroids, but it was Propecia

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Chris Johnston leaving Sportsnet is as unexpected as Saravalli leaving TSN earlier this year.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Sad. I mean good for him, but Johnston is really good.

Sidenote; Bob MacKenzie leaving isn't going to be as big of a deal as I envisioned. It helps that he's basically tapped out already, so others have had time to fill that void, but I thought he'd be sorely missed. He still has that air of authority to me though, when he tweets something or says something, I believe it.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Sad. I mean good for him, but Johnston is really good.

Sidenote; Bob MacKenzie leaving isn't going to be as big of a deal as I envisioned. It helps that he's basically tapped out already, so others have had time to fill that void, but I thought he'd be sorely missed. He still has that air of authority to me though, when he tweets something or says something, I believe it.

Bob MacKenzie became way too careless/uninterested in his job in the last couple of years. Honestly it was a good thing that he left. I remember back when he was doing the Bobcast, it felt like he just didn't want to talk about hockey at all at the end...and then when people told him that they wanted to hear more about hockey and less about music and other stuff he just stopped because "it felt like work".

I'm not blaming him but I'm glad he's gone at this point. It's clear that he wasn't enjoying it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad