News Article: Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Don't know if I mentioned it yet or not. But on Tuesday I found that the doctors could no longer detect any form of cancer in my system.

Hearing that shit after getting a Stage 4 diagnosis 18 months prior will tend to make one giddier than f***.
Holy shit! That's awesome to hear! I'm pouring an extra one for you tonight! :nod:

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
At this point, I'm done with Dater as a journalist. Actually, I have been for quite some time. Here's the thing though....when the Avs were great, he and Sadowski were the two guys that put the stories into print for us fans. This was in the infancy of the internet. He helped frame the conversations we had and it was a great time on this board because we would discuss the actual intent of his writing. It's become more difficult to do that as journalism has changed and journalists find it necessary to reach out to their "fans" for clicks. It's made some journalists think they are the reason people follow hockey (looking at MHH and TellItAvSItIsn't or HEYISCRIBBLEONTHEINTERNETTOO.com) Seriously, with just the Avs paid beat reporters, we've got journalists trying to "hook up" with fans online, we've got some offering to fight us in the street to prove their street creds, and whatever the f*** it is AJ and the rest of the bloggers do.

As a human, I hope for Dater. As a consumer of hockey information, I simply don't listen to him or care anymore. I'd rather he spent his time working on his life than trying to give me Avalanche info. He's always been late to the party, stuck in an elevator, had a power outage, was in a crappy B&B and didn't get enough sleep, had to take pills because of his back, had to re-arrange his hotel room because his back is so bad he can't lay on a mattress....so get this, instead of sleeping on the floor, the guy actually takes the mattress off the bed and puts it on the floor for housekeeping to deal with. Then he sleeps on the box springs. Look I get it....shit happens, people have problems etc...but starting in the early 2000s, he started making his stories about himself and not the team he covers. I appreciate that he's no longer being paid to do so while disguising it as beat reporting for the Denver Post...but they didn't get a better guy to replace him...they got a guy who would take less to do an even worse job.

It makes me wonder why some folks are so damn good at this type of job (Aaron Portzline, George Richards, Michael Russo) and why so many suck....everyone who tried to cover the Avalanche using any stat ever. Journalism is really about telling true stories, you can add as much adjectives, prerogatives, Hail Mary's or Gut's All Over the Place!!! as long as the story more or less "captures the spirit of the thing." The biggest problem with the Avs press coverage stems from the fact that until very recently...they've sucked since 2001. There was a very temporary immediately bestowed Cup in the summer of 2003, but it was ultimately rejected the minute the pre-season ended.

I'm so god-damned high right now on life and other things, that I hope this made sense.
It adds up, and fist bump to your health.
I never read/follow Avs media in any of its forms. Mostly because sports writers, for me, have mostly sucked. They exist in a reality where, by default, they're awful, but at the same time have the freedom to be incredible. Few achieve that, but since the advent of blogs and opinion on the internet and the opening of that field many have tried. And failed. Everyone in my generation wants to be somewhat gonzo, but few realize the type or have the talent to pull it off. Dater obviously has issues. And he's doing a poor job making those work for him.
I come on these boards a few times a year drunk and/or incoherent, spouting off about this or that, sometimes funny, sometimes sad or vindictive. And I feel shame. I know better than to come in here and be like that.
That's just me, some random dweeb on HFBoards. You'd like that Dater, in his profession, would have a higher bar.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
It adds up, and fist bump to your health.
I never read/follow Avs media in any of its forms. Mostly because sports writers, for me, have mostly sucked. They exist in a reality where, by default, they're awful, but at the same time have the freedom to be incredible. Few achieve that, but since the advent of blogs and opinion on the internet and the opening of that field many have tried. And failed. Everyone in my generation wants to be somewhat gonzo, but few realize the type or have the talent to pull it off. Dater obviously has issues. And he's doing a poor job making those work for him.
I come on these boards a few times a year drunk and/or incoherent, spouting off about this or that, sometimes funny, sometimes sad or vindictive. And I feel shame. I know better than to come in here and be like that.
That's just me, some random dweeb on HFBoards. You'd like that Dater, in his profession, would have a higher bar.

There but for the grace of God go I.

Look...I'm not a religious guy, but I'm a friend of Bill and I get this.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't know. A-hole? Maybe.

But it's hard to call him overrated, when he's 3rd all time in points, 9th all time in goals, and 2nd all time in both playoff points and goals.
The single most overrated player in the NHL. Just FYI, overrated doesn't make you bad by any stretch of a imagination. I legitimately confirm that he was very talented and definitely probably goes in the top 15-ish players of all time, but no way in hell is he anywhere close to top 5 for me.

Reactions: Balthazar

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The single most overrated player in the NHL. Just FYI, overrated doesn't make you bad by any stretch of a imagination. I legitimately confirm that he was very talented and definitely probably goes in the top 15-ish players of all time, but no way in hell is he anywhere close to top 5 for me.
I don't know if he's the single most overrated player in NHL history but he's right up there I agree.

Great player but certainly not among the greatest.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Just curious why you think he's overrated? How did he manage to score more points than any other player than Gretzky and Jagr, and more playoff points and goals than anyone other than Gretzky?

I don't think you can really luck your way into scoring 1887 points. That's 246 more than Joe Sakic.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Just curious why you think he's overrated? How did he manage to score more points than any other player than Gretzky and Jagr, and more playoff points and goals than anyone other than Gretzky?

I don't think you can really luck your way into scoring 1887 points. That's 246 more than Joe Sakic.
I think that he was remarkably consistent, but his point totals don't really paint the picture of a guy that is in that threshold of players right after Gretzky.

For example, amongst players with 500 career points he's 31st in points per game in the regular season. He's 3rd in playoff points per game, which is phenomenal and he really was a true playoff warrior but he also didn't play in the playoffs the final 7 seasons of his career, which allowed those totals to remain high given they came almost entirely in his prime.

Amazing player, no doubt, but I would agree with those saying that he's not in the next tier of players right after Wayne Gretzky.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think that he was remarkably consistent, but his point totals don't really paint the picture of a guy that is in that threshold of players right after Gretzky.

For example, amongst players with 500 career points he's 31st in points per game in the regular season. He's 3rd in playoff points per game, which is phenomenal and he really was a true playoff warrior but he also didn't play in the playoffs the final 7 seasons of his career, which allowed those totals to remain high given they came almost entirely in his prime.

Amazing player, no doubt, but I would agree with those saying that he's not in the next tier of players right after Wayne Gretzky.

Messier was always on the right team at the right time.

Except in Vancouver.

Yeah but he still had to score those points and goals. He wasn't just automatically given them by being on those teams.

Maybe you could say some of the assists were a byproduct of being on good teams, but he's also 9th all time in goals. That's mostly his doing.

Brodeur mostly had great teams in front of him too, especially great defensive teams, and most people still consider him one of the GOATs.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
And then there's members of the media who don't respect other teams and their fans.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
And then there's members of the media who don't respect other teams and their fans.

Toronto guy is mad that Bergevin's questions in French weren't translated. Usually the same questions are asked in English shortly after anyway.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
I don't know. A-hole? Maybe.

But it's hard to call him overrated, when he's 3rd all time in points, 9th all time in goals, and 2nd all time in both playoff points and goals.
He is most assuredly overrated. A compiler of sorts whose point totals benefited greatly from playing with the likes of Wayne, Coffey, Anderson, Kurri etc, and his miss-quoted guarantee added to his mystique. Not to mention he is one of the biggest pieces of shit to play the game.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He is most assuredly overrated. A compiler of sorts whose point totals benefited greatly from playing with the likes of Wayne, Coffey, Anderson, Kurri etc, and his miss-quoted guarantee added to his mystique. Not to mention he is one of the biggest pieces of shit to play the game.

Why was his third best season without all those guys his first year with NYR then? He had 107 points that year.

Also had a 99 and 91 point season in New York, as well as a 47 goal season a few years later.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I dunno, Messier won two Cups without Gretzky. Gretzky cannot say the same. Not saying Mess is a better player—obviously he isn’t, but he was definitely an elite talent. And like it or not if you talk big and then your team backs it up, you’re a legend. No idea how good he will be as an in-studio analyst but they can’t do much worse than the dreck NBCSN put out there.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
When the team respects the media.

I thought this was an interesting reply from Boulding. The Avs clearly don’t care but the media doesn’t either. I bet they’ve always been glad to not have to attempt to do their jobs one more time 48 hours after the last game. The Avs get away with it because nobody has ever asked for it. Unreal. It perpetuates the cyclical cat and mouse game between the Avs and local media about who can do less at their jobs. It’s dont ask don’t tell to it’s finest.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I thought this was an interesting reply from Boulding. The Avs clearly don’t care but the media doesn’t either. I bet they’ve always been glad to not have to attempt to do their jobs one more time 48 hours after the last game. The Avs get away with it because nobody has ever asked for it. Unreal. It perpetuates the cyclical cat and mouse game between the Avs and local media about who can do less at their jobs. It’s dont ask don’t tell to it’s finest.

This is exactly it. Martineau has everything on lockdown. Always has.

They don't change because there's no pressure for them to change except for a few of us bitching on the internet about it. All the papers are either gone or on their last legs. Everyone else is just happy to get a question in every once in a while.

I love this team but they really don't do much for the fans but take their money and take them for granted. Just look how long they've gone without a TV deal?

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO

Boo-577x356.jpg

BOOOOOOOOOO!

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Not sure if this is the correct thread, but here goes:

Since the Altitude/Comcast thing looks like it's going to continue infinitely, Has anyone heard any news in regards to Altitude becoming available on any of the streaming apps, like Fubo or Hulu? TIA.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

Well said. Lazyness all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad