News Article: Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Here’s the thing… he’s used that excuse many times now. At some point it is just a crutch and he just can’t control himself.

I don’t doubt Dater cares and loves the team… I don’t think that is always a good thing for a beat writer.

I feel for him as a human… seeing self destructive behavior is awful. There just has to continually be consequences until actions are changed.

Also, I think he’s still missing the worst part. It wasn’t him asking a dumb question and dropping an f bomb in a question… it was him doubling down over and over instead of recognizing the mistake and apologizing right away.

Yeah, Dater's a mess. And it's not just the addiction thing either. It's also attitude and aptitude.

I mean, some of us have been in this place for quite a number of years, and how many times have we called the guy out for printing utter garbage? Hockey-related, sure. But just pure nonsense. Many dozens of times.

And then there's his attitude, which is just too often so awful. So many times, his response to pushback and/or criticism has been a dismissive "IDGAF". He openly wrote responses like that any number of times in years past, and his immediate response after the MacKinnon question fiasco, was to get defensive and do the same.

A few years back, when some members of this group started writing in that new online Denver sports site (I forget the name), I thought about subscribing. Then they "hired" Dater to write in there, and I said "Oh, Hell no", for this very reason: The man has no interest in entertaining intelligent opinions that are not his own, and his default response to any criticism (constructive or otherwise) just seems to be that of a childish dismissive jerk.

Honestly, the dude simply seems like an asshole. And not a very intelligent one at that.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah that doesn't exactly seem voluntary. Why would he choose to go from TSN to DailyFaceoff.com?
When he left he said it was his decision...but we don't know why. Maybe they lowballed him when it was time to renew his contract or something.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Hope they find a way for him and Gretz at TNT to interact on a panel somehow.

I'm happy to see them add some new faces that garner respect though. They must be paying these guys boat loads of cash, because it's not like no one has tried to hire them for this gig before.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I absolutely hate everything about Messier, overrated and from what everyone has said was a huge jackarse. Not going to confirm the hate until I see him on TNT, but I dislike this move on paper.

He might hate himself on the telly? Isn't DailyFaceoff's just writing pieces? I remember some bands I listen to have a bloke who did guitar and vocals and retire from singing because they hated their voice (which wasn't even close of being bad by any means). I could see it similar to someone and having to do television segments.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I absolutely hate everything about Messier, overrated and from what everyone has said was a huge jackarse. Not going to confirm the hate until I see him on TNT, but I dislike this move on paper.

I don't know. A-hole? Maybe.

But it's hard to call him overrated, when he's 3rd all time in points, 9th all time in goals, and 2nd all time in both playoff points and goals.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Hope they find a way for him and Gretz at TNT to interact on a panel somehow.

I'm happy to see them add some new faces that garner respect though. They must be paying these guys boat loads of cash, because it's not like no one has tried to hire them for this gig before.

He might hate himself on the telly? Isn't DailyFaceoff's just writing pieces? I remember some bands I listen to have a bloke who did guitar and vocals and retire from singing because they hated their voice (which wasn't even close of being bad by any means). I could see it similar to someone and having to do television segments.

Messier is joining ESPN, not TNT. These comments seems to have missed that...

Reactions: LTC Pain

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Messier is joining ESPN, not TNT. These comments seems to have missed that...

Yeah I know, maybe I didn't word that well. That's what I meant by I hope they find a way to pair him with Gretz somehow, since Gretz is at TNT.

Probably won't but maybe they can do some internet hits. They have so much history together it would be a missed opportunity if not.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
It is... concerning that Dater is under the impression that the issue was him cursing. That's his takeaway on all of it?

At this point, I'm done with Dater as a journalist. Actually, I have been for quite some time. Here's the thing though....when the Avs were great, he and Sadowski were the two guys that put the stories into print for us fans. This was in the infancy of the internet. He helped frame the conversations we had and it was a great time on this board because we would discuss the actual intent of his writing. It's become more difficult to do that as journalism has changed and journalists find it necessary to reach out to their "fans" for clicks. It's made some journalists think they are the reason people follow hockey (looking at MHH and TellItAvSItIsn't or HEYISCRIBBLEONTHEINTERNETTOO.com) Seriously, with just the Avs paid beat reporters, we've got journalists trying to "hook up" with fans online, we've got some offering to fight us in the street to prove their street creds, and whatever the f*** it is AJ and the rest of the bloggers do.

As a human, I hope for Dater. As a consumer of hockey information, I simply don't listen to him or care anymore. I'd rather he spent his time working on his life than trying to give me Avalanche info. He's always been late to the party, stuck in an elevator, had a power outage, was in a crappy B&B and didn't get enough sleep, had to take pills because of his back, had to re-arrange his hotel room because his back is so bad he can't lay on a mattress....so get this, instead of sleeping on the floor, the guy actually takes the mattress off the bed and puts it on the floor for housekeeping to deal with. Then he sleeps on the box springs. Look I get it....shit happens, people have problems etc...but starting in the early 2000s, he started making his stories about himself and not the team he covers. I appreciate that he's no longer being paid to do so while disguising it as beat reporting for the Denver Post...but they didn't get a better guy to replace him...they got a guy who would take less to do an even worse job.

It makes me wonder why some folks are so damn good at this type of job (Aaron Portzline, George Richards, Michael Russo) and why so many suck....everyone who tried to cover the Avalanche using any stat ever. Journalism is really about telling true stories, you can add as much adjectives, prerogatives, Hail Mary's or Gut's All Over the Place!!! as long as the story more or less "captures the spirit of the thing." The biggest problem with the Avs press coverage stems from the fact that until very recently...they've sucked since 2001. There was a very temporary immediately bestowed Cup in the summer of 2003, but it was ultimately rejected the minute the pre-season ended.

I'm so god-damned high right now on life and other things, that I hope this made sense.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Drip, drip, drip, this is likely only the beginning.

"Every guy on the team knew about it,” one player on the 2010 team told The Athletic. “Every single guy on the team knew.”

"What bothers me is they fired him, but they didn't take it to the cops....They let this happen."

Makes a good point about the team acknowledging guilt by firing him, so why did they cover it up instead of taking it to the police like their skills coach asked? Especially since he went on do it it to high school kids. The Blackhawks definitely own part of the blame for that.

Former Blackhawks player: 'Every guy on the team knew' about video coach's alleged sexual assault

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm so god-damned high right now on life and other things, I hope this made sense.

I hope we get a couple sequels to, "An Ex-Pat Texan's Journey To Figure Out What The Hell Is Going On In This Game" next year.

200.gif

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
At this point, I'm done with Dater as a journalist. Actually, I have been for quite some time. Here's the thing though....when the Avs were great, he and Sadowski were the two guys that put the stories into print for us fans. This was in the infancy of the internet. He helped frame the conversations we had and it was a great time on this board because we would discuss the actual intent of his writing. It's become more difficult to do that as journalism has changed and journalists find it necessary to reach out to their "fans" for clicks. It's made some journalists think they are the reason people follow hockey (looking at MHH and TellItAvSItIsn't or HEYISCRIBBLEONTHEINTERNETTOO.com) Seriously, with just the Avs paid beat reporters, we've got journalists trying to "hook up" with fans online, we've got some offering to fight us in the street to prove their street creds, and whatever the f*** it is AJ and the rest of the bloggers do.

As a human, I hope for Dater. As a consumer of hockey information, I simply don't listen to him or care anymore. I'd rather he spent his time working on his life than trying to give me Avalanche info. He's always been late to the party, stuck in an elevator, had a power outage, was in a crappy B&B and didn't get enough sleep, had to take pills because of his back, had to re-arrange his hotel room because his back is so bad he can't lay on a mattress....so get this, instead of sleeping on the floor, the guy actually takes the mattress off the bed and puts it on the floor for housekeeping to deal with. Then he sleeps on the box springs. Look I get it....shit happens, people have problems etc...but starting in the early 2000s, he started making his stories about himself and not the team he covers. I appreciate that he's no longer being paid to do so while disguising it as beat reporting for the Denver Post...but they didn't get a better guy to replace him...they got a guy who would take less to do an even worse job.

It makes me wonder why some folks are so damn good at this type of job (Aaron Portzline, George Richards, Michael Russo) and why so many suck....everyone who tried to cover the Avalanche using any stat ever. Journalism is really about telling true stories, you can add as much adjectives, prerogatives, Hail Mary's or Gut's All Over the Place!!! as long as the story more or less "captures the spirit of the thing." The biggest problem with the Avs press coverage stems from the fact that until very recently...they've sucked since 2001. There was a very temporary immediately bestowed Cup in the summer of 2003, but it was ultimately rejected the minute the pre-season ended.

I'm so god-damned high right now on life and other things, that I hope this made sense.
Interesting read and I agree.

I keep repeating it but HFboards Avs in my Avalanche Media.

Last edited:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I hope we get a couple sequels to, "An Ex-Pat Texan's Journey To Figure Out What The Hell Is Going On In This Game" next year.

200.gif
Don't know if I mentioned it yet or not. But on Tuesday I found that the doctors could no longer detect any form of cancer in my system.

Hearing that shit after getting a Stage 4 diagnosis 18 months prior will tend to make one giddier than f***.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Don't know if I mentioned it yet or not. But on Tuesday I found that the doctors could no longer detect any form of cancer in my system.

Hearing that shit after getting a Stage 4 diagnosis 18 months prior will tend to make one giddier than f***.

Holy shit man! That's the best news I've heard in a long time. I can't imagine the weight that has been lifted off your shoulders from that.

You're on a free roll from here on out. Everything now is a bonus. Enjoy living your second life brother!

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

So so so happy for you. And I really hope it never comes back. Live a very happy life man. You deserve it.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado

Wow. Huge congrats man, that is awesome news. We needed some good news around here and this is spot on. Very happy for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad