Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I liked Clark and thought he did a good job. I’m not seeing anything here that Clark didn’t do.
I've liked Baugh's choice of stories lately. He hasn't just been writing about the obvious things like Clark did, but has also been putting in some work to get more personalised stories on players, like this Toews article and the recent O'Connor and Byram stories. He seems to be a bit more objective than Clark as well, and his tweets are timely, informative, and professional (i.e. no swearing like Clark).

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I've liked Baugh's choice of stories lately. He hasn't just been writing about the obvious things like Clark did, but has also been putting in some work to get more personalised stories on players, like this Toews article and the recent O'Connor and Byram stories. He seems to be a bit more objective than Clark as well, and his tweets are timely, informative, and professional (i.e. no swearing like Clark).

I don’t know, I think there’s room for some fun to be had when it comes to sports, as long as you’re willing to ask the tough questions.

This article features the same kind of stuff that I see Chambers get bashed for. Old recycled quotes that have been out there for more than a month. It also includes only 16 words from Avalanche players, when the quote in the title would have you believe that there’s going to be more from them.

It’s still a fine read with the new stuff from his old college coach, but I don’t see anything that separates him from Clark.

Last edited:
Reactions: S3rkie

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
He'll f***ing do it again.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I liked Clark and thought he did a good job. I’m not seeing anything here that Clark didn’t do.

Yeah, Clark wrote these type of stories quite often. Not only about the NHL players and their family/backgrounds but in depth pieces on the prospects as well.

No real need to debate between the two though. Baugh has been good so far just like Clark was.

LostInMosEisley

A wretched hive of scum and villany
Aug 18, 2020
Baugh is doing a good job which means he'll probably move on to his next gig that much quicker. This market is probably not much more than a stepping stone for The Athletic writers.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Baugh is doing a good job which means he'll probably move on to his next gig that much quicker. This market is probably not much more than a stepping stone for The Athletic writers.

I don’t understand how you make this assumption when the last guy didn’t use it as any sort of “stepping stone.” All he did was take the same job with the same company that was closer to home.

And really, if Baugh bails to do something else in a month, they’ll find someone else. I’m not worried.

LostInMosEisley

Aug 18, 2020
I don’t understand how you make this assumption when the last guy didn’t use it as any sort of “stepping stone.” All he did was take the same job with the same company that was closer to home.

And really, if Baugh bails to do something else in a month, they’ll find someone else. I’m not worried.

Also factoring in what's happening with Nuggets coverage with Kendra Andrews moving on and them seemingly not having plans to replace her with a full time beat reporter. I don't think the Denver market is a big priority especially after their recent cuts. At any rate it's okay if you don't understand why I make that assumption.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Also factoring in what's happening with Nuggets coverage with Kendra Andrews moving on and them seemingly not having plans to replace her with a full time beat reporter. I don't think the Denver market is a big priority especially after their recent cuts. At any rate it's okay if you don't understand why I make that assumption.

But that’s not what you said in your original post. You said writers were using the market as a stepping stone, not that The Athletic doesn’t care about it. I suppose Andrews has a more prominent gig since she’s doing TV work but that was also a move reportedly to go home. I still don’t see enough to stake a precedent on it.

Right now Kosmider is doing the Nuggets beat in addition to the Broncos. I’m not seeing a real issue with coverage, and in any event, the best writer doing local Nuggets coverage is Harrison Wind, and he’s still there with DNVR.

LostInMosEisley

Aug 18, 2020
But that’s not what you said in your original post. You said writers were using the market as a stepping stone, not that The Athletic doesn’t care about it. I suppose Andrews has a more prominent gig since she’s doing TV work but that was also a move reportedly to go home. I still don’t see enough to stake a precedent on it.

Right now Kosmider is doing the Nuggets beat in addition to the Broncos. I’m not seeing a real issue with coverage, and in any event, the best writer doing local Nuggets coverage is Harrison Wind, and he’s still there with DNVR.

I don't normally express every possible angle of a subject with a single hfboards post, so yes it's possible I may have had two different thoughts in two different posts to express that I don't expect many writers to stick long with Athletic gigs in this market.

Agree DNVR is solid for Nuggets coverage. Adam Mares is also really good, his solo "notes" episodes on podcasts is some of the best sports media content around.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yeah, Clark wrote these type of stories quite often. Not only about the NHL players and their family/backgrounds but in depth pieces on the prospects as well.

No real need to debate between the two though. Baugh has been good so far just like Clark was.

Yeah I was fine with Clark, and I've been fine with Baugh so far too. Nothing groundbreaking, but solid compared to their competition.

One mild point of criticism from me though. A week or so ago I wasn't staying up to date with news and info on the Avs because I was trying to get caught up watching all the back to back games. Then I found out the Avs games were postponed due to something COVID related, but I didn't know the details.

I didn't want to dig through dozens of pages on HF while potentially spoiling some games I was trying to get caught up on, so I needed a one stop shop to get the info I needed. I'm sure the Post and Dater's site had some info on it, but I don't subscribe to them, I subscribe to the Athletic.

They announced the Avs would postpone four games on Feb 4, but Baugh didn't write up a detailed explanation of what happened until Feb 8. The only article he wrote between Feb 3 and Feb 8 was about the death of the Eagles owner Ralph Backstrom on Feb 7.

Not that big of a deal, but it's still part of the job to provide this kind of info to people so they have a one stop shop where they can stay up to date with the Avs, without going to multiple sites to get the info they need. It took me a little while of digging through multiple days of HF posts to find out everything that went on.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
How much longer is Stan going to want to feed Altitude, I wonder what sort of losses they are operating at. We're going on two lost seasons now. So ridiculous.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
How much longer is Stan going to want to feed Altitude, I wonder what sort of losses they are operating at. We're going on two lost seasons now. So ridiculous.
It's not just Altitude, a lot of other local/regional sports networks are fighting against the cable establishment. I don't think Dish is carrying any of the Fox Sports from Florida along with others I'm forgetting. I think these regional stations just need to realise they're not a major channel...like at all. Their ratings are beyond abysmal when it's their original products compared to live action sports. Nobody is watching Colorado version Lauren Gardner, New Hampshire version Lauren Gardner talk fantasy throwball with two bald-headed blokes, or Kyle Keefe play golf with Adam Foote.

Last edited:

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
It's not just Altitude, a lot of other local/regional sports networks are fighting against the cable establishment. I don't think Dish is carrying any of the Fox Sports from Florida along with others I'm forgetting. I think these regional stations just need to realise they're not a major channel...like at all. Their ratings are beyond abysmal when it's their original products compared to live action sports. Nobody is watching Colorado version Lauren Gardner, New Hampshire version Lauren Gardner talk fantasy throwball with two bald-headed blokes, or Kyle Keefe play golf with Adam Foote.
Yep the model is long gone, altitude is trying to sell so much dead weight to offset their own costs. They need to trim the fat and go the direct stream route, but sadly that probably would mean losing a ton of staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad