Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I usually agree with you Mark but I think this is a bad take.

He wasn't good at his job and he said a bad joke. Even though I (and most people) didn't find the joke offensive, he still deserved to be fired. When you are not good at your job and people don't like you very much, you get fired.

When and why you are fired doesn't really matter and truly the employer doesn't need any good reason to do so.

Ehh the Roenick stuff was pretty justified. You can't talk about a coworker like that, that's pretty disrespectful whether it's a joke or not.

He was a terrible analyst to begin with and is still widely regarded as the worst NHL GM of all time. There was more to his firing that just one incident. Same with Roenick. Chill with the "cancel culture" schtick.

Unfortunately, NBC replaced Milbury with Babcock, who will probably be a better analyst but is probably just as big a jerk, if not worse.

It means he is responsible for his firing. Not someone else as Mark T suggested.

It's difficult for me to respond to all this without things getting "political"

I'll just say this: He (and Roenick and Cherry for that matter) were not fired because they were bad analysts. If that were the reason for firing them, they would not have been fired at the time they were. None of them were great analysts who suddenly became terrible. They were fired because each said something that to some degree offended some people, and the company that employed them decided to listen to the people who were offended rather than the people who were not offended. The timing of the firings is relevant - each never saw a second of TV time after the backlash from their comments. In the case of Milbury, this article sure makes it sound like his "joke" is what got him fired, not the quality of his analysis.

I don't want to get into the details of what each of them said because that will inevitably get into the politics of all this, which isn't allowed here. For the record, I don't particularly like any of them as people or analysts.

Last edited:

LostInMosEisley

A wretched hive of scum and villany
Aug 18, 2020
I have a soft spot for Haynes because of his time on doing the radio call with Norm Jones in the late 90's (I was working evenings often then and tended to listen to the radio calls more than I caught games on TV). He was not as good on television, whether it was because the team was not as exciting, or just having to have a more subdued presence on TV vs. radio. But I don't think Moser is such a prize as a television guy that they had to force Haynes out of his gig.

Reactions: madman

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO

I'll just say this: He (and Roenick and Cherry for that matter) were not fired because they were bad analysts. If that were the reason for firing them, they would not have been fired at the time they were. None of them were great analysts who suddenly became terribly. They were fired because each said something that to some degree offended some people, and the company that employed them decided to listen to the people who were offended rather than the people who were not offended. The timing of the firings is relevant - each never saw a second of TV time after the backlash from their comments. In the case of Milbury, this article sure makes it sound like his "joke" is what got him fired, not the quality of his analysis.

I don't want to get into the details of what each of them said because that will inevitably get into the politics of all this, which isn't allowed here. For the record, I don't particularly like any of them as people or analysts.
Beautifully stated Mark. I am moving on :)

Reactions: MarkT

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
:dunno:

I certainly don't want the guy to be unemployed, but I gotta be honest, I think the Avs broadcasts are better without him. I really didn't like him and McNab together.
I would agree if they had replaced him with literally any other person than Marc Moser. He’s terrible at his job and is somehow still one of the most arrogant people I’ve ever come across.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Altitude once had the pitch-perfect lineup with the Nuggets when they had Marlowe and Hanzlik. A shame they felt the need to throw Scott Hastings into the mix. Regardless, Marlowe is a phenomenal play-by-play guy. The only Denver sports guy I'd rank above him is Jerry Schemmel (at least before KOA fired him...I don't know where he's at now).

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I'll just say this: He (and Roenick and Cherry for that matter) were not fired because they were bad analysts. If that were the reason for firing them, they would not have been fired at the time they were. None of them were great analysts who suddenly became terrible. They were fired because each said something that to some degree offended some people, and the company that employed them decided to listen to the people who were offended rather than the people who were not offended. The timing of the firings is relevant - each never saw a second of TV time after the backlash from their comments. In the case of Milbury, this article sure makes it sound like his "joke" is what got him fired, not the quality of his analysis.

I mean people get fired all the time for non performance related reasons. Some more justified than others, but in the Roenick case in particular basically harassing a coworker will 100% fired in most times.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
I sat behind Hanzlik at a CSU Rams basketball game he was a nice guy and he had some good analysis even though he was watching as a fan :laugh:

I really started to appreciate Marlowe once I heard him call olympic beach volleyball. He was very good at explaining the game and calling it with excitement.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Moser was fine on the radio...on TV not so much. Can't stand McNab.

I literally watch Avs games on mute.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I would agree if they had replaced him with literally any other person than Marc Moser. He’s terrible at his job and is somehow still one of the most arrogant people I’ve ever come across.

Are you saying he's been arrogant in person when you met him?

He's too self deprecating for me to think of him as arrogant. I think he's just trying to be funny, and his sense of humor isn't for everyone.

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
I'll stick up for Moser a bit here. First of all, I understand why some people don't like him. He's loud, boisterous, and at times obnoxious. He's definitely not a traditional play-by-play guy, and for people outside of the market, there is a shock factor when you aren't used to him. However, the guy loves what he does, and he loves the Avalanche. He may not be the best play-by-play guy, but he brings passion and energy to the broadcasts, and this city DESPERATELY needs passion and energy when it comes to hockey and the Avs. It's pathetic how little attention the Avs get in this market. Marc has a morning radio show in Denver with Vic Lombardi and Brett Cain, and it's one of the few sports radio shows in town that talks anything other than football; it's a pretty entertaining show as well.

I get why people think he's arrogant and cocky, but I assure you he's nothing like that in person. A few years ago I won a weekend trip to Nashville to see the Avs play from a radio contest at Altitude. Marc reached out to me and asked if I wanted to grab drinks with the broadcast crew at Tootsie's on Broadway. He introduced me to LG, Mike Haynes, and the behind the scenes crew. He then offered to get me in for morning skate the next day before the game, which wasn't even one of the trip perks. I watched morning skate with him and McNabb. The Avs lost 5-0, but it was a great trip, in large part because of Moser.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, just wanted to share mine.

IMG_20171117_205052515.jpg

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'll stick up for Moser a bit here. First of all, I understand why some people don't like him. He's loud, boisterous, and at times obnoxious. He's definitely not a traditional play-by-play guy, and for people outside of the market, there is a shock factor when you aren't used to him. However, the guy loves what he does, and he loves the Avalanche. He may not be the best play-by-play guy, but he brings passion and energy to the broadcasts, and this city DESPERATELY needs passion and energy when it comes to hockey and the Avs. It's pathetic how little attention the Avs get in this market. Marc has a morning radio show in Denver with Vic Lombardi and Brett Cain, and it's one of the few sports radio shows in town that talks anything other than football; it's a pretty entertaining show as well.

I get why people think he's arrogant and cocky, but I assure you he's nothing like that in person. A few years ago I won a weekend trip to Nashville to see the Avs play from a radio contest at Altitude. Marc reached out to me and asked if I wanted to grab drinks with the broadcast crew at Tootsie's on Broadway. He introduced me to LG, Mike Haynes, and the behind the scenes crew. He then offered to get me in for morning skate the next day before the game, which wasn't even one of the trip perks. I watched morning skate with him and McNabb. The Avs lost 5-0, but it was a great trip, in large part because of Moser.

View attachment 383675
Did you take a run at LG

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Are you saying he's been arrogant in person when you met him?

He's too self deprecating for me to think of him as arrogant. I think he's just trying to be funny, and his sense of humor isn't for everyone.
Nah I don’t know the man so I pulled the arrogant thing from what I’ve seen and heard from him. He doesn’t accept being wrong. He just seems to be a very “I’m right” person and that bothers me because his knowledge of the game itself isn’t great.

I could be completely wrong about him but I definitely get those feelings from being an Avs fan and listening/watching him a couple hundred times over the years.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Greatly preferred Haynes to Moser as the PxP guy.

Even during his final seasons here, I always think back to that game against the Red Wings in Detroit when the Avs had control of the puck for like, two-plus minutes in the Red Wings zone putting EVERYTHING on net and not letting them touch the puck before finally Soderberg scored the tying goal.

Haynes was phenomenal calling the play there. I've yet to feel that way about Moser since he took over. He's just boisterous for no reason. Haynes knew when to turn it on and when to mellow out.

Reactions: tbassler

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
eventually I'm hoping all of these guys get replaced by AI with computerized voices so we can hear only what we want to hear 100% of the time and with 100% consistency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad