Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Regarding Milbury, I know no politics allowed here, but it's getting ridiculous what gets people fired. It doesn't seem to matter what people mean or whether the majority of people think what they did/said was bad - if enough angry, offended people complain loudly enough, fired they be. Reminds me of the Roenick situation as well.

I mean, it's not like there weren't good reasons to get rid of Milbury (y'know, since he wasn't very a good hockey analyst), but that's not why he's gone. If it were, he'd have been gone ages ago.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Regarding Milbury, I know no politics allowed here, but it's getting ridiculous what gets people fired. It doesn't seem to matter what people mean or whether the majority of people think what they did/said was bad - if enough angry, offended people complain loudly enough, fired they be. Reminds me of the Roenick situation as well.

I mean, it's not like there weren't good reasons to get rid of Milbury (y'know, since he wasn't very a good hockey analyst), but that's not why he's gone. If it were, he'd have been gone ages ago.
I usually agree with you Mark but I think this is a bad take.

He wasn't good at his job and he said a bad joke. Even though I (and most people) didn't find the joke offensive, he still deserved to be fired. When you are not good at your job and people don't like you very much, you get fired.

When and why you are fired doesn't really matter and truly the employer doesn't need any good reason to do so.

Reactions: madman

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Ehh the Roenick stuff was pretty justified. You can't talk about a coworker like that, that's pretty disrespectful whether it's a joke or not.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

He was a terrible analyst to begin with and is still widely regarded as the worst NHL GM of all time. There was more to his firing that just one incident. Same with Roenick. Chill with the "cancel culture" schtick.

Unfortunately, NBC replaced Milbury with Babcock, who will probably be a better analyst but is probably just as big a jerk, if not worse.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
What's everyone in Canada doing for watching Avs games? I paid $160 for NHL Live last year for 82 games (didn't actually play 82) and now they want me to pay $160 again for 56 games. I feel like I should go the kittens route just out of principle here but I've hated it when I did that years ago.

Cake Malar

Oct 14, 2017
What's everyone in Canada doing for watching Avs games? I paid $160 for NHL Live last year for 82 games (didn't actually play 82) and now they want me to pay $160 again for 56 games. I feel like I should go the kittens route just out of principle here but I've hated it when I did that years ago.
Get a VPN and buy the international package for $99

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
He'll be remembered for his lizard person comment long after he's dead. All hail our lizard overlords.
Conspiracy4.jpg
I was unaware of this

Beautiful stuff.

Reactions: S3rkie

Cake Malar

Oct 14, 2017
Ah, I forgot about the conversion rate! You wouldn't necessarily need to buy a VPN though, it would be a one time thing to make the purchase. You wouldn't have to run the VPN anytime you wanted to watch a game.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Does anyone have a VPN they use? A quick Google search pops up Express VPN. I'm likely cutting the DirecTV cord here soon, so I need to explore my options.

Express is probably the best overall, but if you're just using it for kittens and general internet/swapping netflix regions... Surfshark is plenty good and much cheaper. If your router can support it at that level, I really recommend Express.

Reactions: Pokecheque

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Does anyone have a VPN they use? A quick Google search pops up Express VPN. I'm likely cutting the DirecTV cord here soon, so I need to explore my options.

I use ExpressVPN. I have an Android TV so I can install the app and enable/disable it as and when I need to, so I don't have to have it enabled at the router level. I fire up ExpressVPN, then open the NHL.tv app, and I'm off to the races. Been doing this for over a year and it's been great for me.

Still think its crazy I can't just pay a fee, $50 or whatever, and access local games on NHL.TV

100% agreed. I want to pay to watch the Avs (seriously take my money - right now I pay for NHL.tv and ExpressVPN), but I'm made to circumvent things because of these ludicrous archaic blackouts. Just let me pay to watch my damn team in my damn state. Please.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I usually agree with you Mark but I think this is a bad take.

He wasn't good at his job and he said a bad joke. Even though I (and most people) didn't find the joke offensive, he still deserved to be fired. When you are not good at your job and people don't like you very much, you get fired.

When and why you are fired doesn't really matter and truly the employer doesn't need any good reason to do so.

Saying he's not good at his job because people don't like him or people complain about him means what exactly? What announcer is universally loved? Everything you said is entirely subjective.

What are the odds people don't complain just as much about his replacement?

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Saying he's not good at his job because people don't like him or people complain about him means what exactly? What announcer is universally loved? Everything you said is entirely subjective.

What are the odds people don't complain just as much about his replacement?
It means he is responsible for his firing. Not someone else as Mark T suggested.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
It means he is responsible for his firing. Not someone else as Mark T suggested.

You said he deserved to be fired because you think he's bad at his job. Wouldn't that be a reason to fire every announcer in the NHL? People complain about all announcers.

Reactions: tbassler

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
You said he deserved to be fired because you think he's bad at his job. Wouldn't that be a reason to fire every announcer in the NHL? People complain about all announcers.
What are you trying to prove to me?

I said he was fired because he was not good at his job. I didnt fire him, all the fans that didnt like him didnt fire him. His bosses thought he was bad at his job and it seems like the people he worked with didnt like him either.

What point are you making?

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I thought Milbury’s comments about the bubble without women was actually valid. It’s just that people don’t want to hear it. They want to “sweep it under the rug”and pretend that all hockey players are virgins and women aren’t throwing themselves at the players. Rightttttttt.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Of course people have varied opinions, but Milbury was objectively terrible. He's widely regarded as the worst NHL GM of all time, and offered little, if any insight with his so-called "analysis." He's in the same lot as Roenick and Don Cherry--just some bloviating mass who says outrageous stuff and longs for the old-school nature of the game while offering very little of substance. I suppose that's okay for entertainment's sake, but not in terms of actual hockey analysis. And it turns out, all three guys offered up other reasons besides being bad at their respective jobs to be fired.

Reactions: McMetal

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Noticed that Mike Haynes now has a website with his resume and credentials available for everyone to see. Still hate what happened there, and the Avs just ignoring it/him after the fact. Guy deserved better.

:dunno:

I certainly don't want the guy to be unemployed, but I gotta be honest, I think the Avs broadcasts are better without him. I really didn't like him and McNab together.

Reactions: klozge and McMetal

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Noticed that Mike Haynes now has a website with his resume and credentials available for everyone to see. Still hate what happened there, and the Avs just ignoring it/him after the fact. Guy deserved better.

Yeah, Moser seems like a good dude, but Haynes was the superior play-by-play man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad