Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Yeah, Moser seems like a good dude, but Haynes was the superior play-by-play man.
Could not disagree more here. Haynes does indeed seem like a good guy, but he was lousy at the nuts and bolts of commentating, constantly getting lost and falling into conversation with McNab instead of following the play. He was also awful at analysis, especially for a guy who has spent as long as he has around the game. I get that it's McNab's job to be the "hockey guy", and his background is in media, but sometimes Pete would ask him simple, leading questions looking to bounce something off him, and he would have no idea what he was talking about.

Moser isn't the best at play calling either, by any means, but he's a step up in that department, and he does at least actually understand the game to the point where he can have a conversation about it with McNab without making a fool of himself. I don't love him, but after Haynes he's a breath of fresh air.

At least we can all agree that McGahey's voice sounds like butter on velvet and he's the best out of all of them.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Could not disagree more here. Haynes does indeed seem like a good guy, but he was lousy at the nuts and bolts of commentating, constantly getting lost and falling into conversation with McNab instead of following the play. He was also awful at analysis, especially for a guy who has spent as long as he has around the game. I get that it's McNab's job to be the "hockey guy", and his background is in media, but sometimes Pete would ask him simple, leading questions looking to bounce something off him, and he would have no idea what he was talking about.

Moser isn't the best at play calling either, by any means, but he's a step up in that department, and he does at least actually understand the game to the point where he can have a conversation about it with McNab without making a fool of himself. I don't love him, but after Haynes he's a breath of fresh air.

At least we can all agree that McGahey's voice sounds like butter on velvet and he's the best out of all of them.

I think we just disagree on what we matters to us when listening to a game. I personally don’t care that much about the analysis.

I care about how the play-by-play guy sounds and their delivery. I don’t care that much about the banter between whistles, or their knowledge of the game.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think we just disagree on what we matters to us when listening to a game. I personally don’t care that much about the analysis.

I care about how the play-by-play guy sounds and their delivery. I don’t care that much about the banter between whistles, or their knowledge of the game.
For what it's worth, I understand that Haynes was a media guy and he isn't supposed to have deep knowledge of the game. That's what the color commentary is for. I just think that he didn't even meet that bare minimum requirements for that, and especially for somebody who had spent so long in his role and around the team, that bothered the hell out of me.

And for that matter, I like Moser's voice, too, at least no more or less than Haynes, who was fine. Neither of them really annoy me in that regard.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
For what it's worth, I understand that Haynes was a media guy and he isn't supposed to have deep knowledge of the game. That's what the color commentary is for. I just think that he didn't even meet that bare minimum requirements for that, and especially for somebody who had spent so long in his role and around the team, that bothered the hell out of me.

And for that matter, I like Moser's voice, too, at least no more or less than Haynes, who was fine. Neither of them really annoy me in that regard.

Moser’s voice annoys the hell out of me. His overall call and goal call is just a lot worse than Haynes imo.

I will say that you can tell Moser has a real passion for what he does, but I just don’t think his game call is as good as Haynes.

Reactions: tbassler

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Supposedly they (Altitude) wanted to make Mose the TV guy, and put Haynes back on radio. Haynes saw that as a demotion and resigned instead. Dater posted an article a couple weeks after the change was announced claiming this was what happened.
Thanks. Good to hear that it was not something unknown or dark.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Noticed that Mike Haynes now has a website with his resume and credentials available for everyone to see. Still hate what happened there, and the Avs just ignoring it/him after the fact. Guy deserved better.
As much as I disliked his voice and call, you are right. He deserved better.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Moser is basically a parody of himself these days. Its almost on the same level as Rycroft at this point. When they were just being themselves they were interesting and brought something fresh and fun, then they got some attention and turned everything up to 11.

Moser isn't only annoying because he's putting on a show, but he f***s up constantly and is never really focusing on the details in the game. IMO the best PBP people bring emotion into the game without completely calling attention to themselves. The game going on is bigger than them.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Moser is basically a parody of himself these days. Its almost on the same level as Rycroft at this point. When they were just being themselves they were interesting and brought something fresh and fun, then they got some attention and turned everything up to 11.

Moser isn't only annoying because he's putting on a show, but he f***s up constantly and is never really focusing on the details in the game. IMO the best PBP people bring emotion into the game without completely calling attention to themselves. The game going on is bigger than them.

To be fair McNab isn't helping either. I feel like any pbp guy is doomed when he's sitting next to him.

Reactions: klozge and S3rkie

LostInMosEisley

A wretched hive of scum and villany
Aug 18, 2020
Conor McGahey has grown on me both for his radio calls and his occasional TV spots. Moser seems like a fixture at Altitude but I wouldn't mind Conor getting more chances on TV.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Bruvs come on now...do you remember how many plays Haynes lost because he had no effin' clue where the puck was? Remember all those "OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" rubbish calls that lead to absolutely nothing? He's a nice person who went through a lot (like his brain aneurysm) so I don't want to be too hard on him but Moser is a step up regardless of if he's one of the biggest arrogant pricks I've ever seen on TV. It's like he came from Jersey Shore or something.

Conor has a great voice but I don’t buy his persona, he’s too smug
Whattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt? McGahey is smug? Maybe you've met him tigre, but I just cannot agree with that. He seems like the bloke who gets along with everyone.

Reactions: 5280

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Bruvs come on now...do you remember how many plays Haynes lost because he had no effin' clue where the puck was? Remember all those "OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" rubbish calls that lead to absolutely nothing? He's a nice person who went through a lot (like his brain aneurysm) so I don't want to be too hard on him but Moser is a step up regardless of if he's one of the biggest arrogant pricks I've ever seen on TV. It's like he came from Jersey Shore or something.

Whattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt? McGahey is smug? Maybe you've met him tigre, but I just cannot agree with that. He seems like the bloke who gets along with everyone.
That’s part of the act but he’s rolling his eyes underneath it. I haven’t met him but from those I know who have don’t get the warm fuzzies.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
For some reason I always associated Subarus with lesbians so your comment made me google it and it turns out that I was right (only outside of Boulder, apparently).

1*SXiLLpj5FBPvf11YiUKm2g.jpeg

It's a common joke here.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If Conor’s a jerk it doesn't really matter to me. He ain’t my friend. Haynes was a monumental jerk who regularly condescended to and outright insulted callers when he was on The Fan, and I didn’t really care. He and Norm were really good together on the radio—but once Norm was out of the equation, I didn’t much care for Haynes. Moser isn’t great but I prefer him over his predecessor.

My only complaint about the radio broadcasts is that they’re a solo operation with the occasional guest color commentary appearances from Johnny Malkin. Wish that’d be a permanent fixture but the way things are going with radio coverage in the NHL, I suppose I should be grateful they’re not doing a stupid simulcast like the Stars do now.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Does anyone know of a streaming site where one can stream or download NHL games the day after the live stream? Something like a hockey equivalent of fullmatchesandshows for soccer games. Please PM me links.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Of course people have varied opinions, but Milbury was objectively terrible. He's widely regarded as the worst NHL GM of all time, and offered little, if any insight with his so-called "analysis." He's in the same lot as Roenick and Don Cherry--just some bloviating mass who says outrageous stuff and longs for the old-school nature of the game while offering very little of substance. I suppose that's okay for entertainment's sake, but not in terms of actual hockey analysis. And it turns out, all three guys offered up other reasons besides being bad at their respective jobs to be fired.

I see almost nothing in this post that can be considered “objective”.

Like I said before, he’ll most likely be replaced by another person that everyone complains about and for similar reasons.

Babcock is already set to trigger Avs and Leafs fans due to his affiliation with the Red Wings and how things went in Toronto. The second he says anything negative about certain teams, fans will be screaming about his bias (and perhaps rightfully so).

It’s problematic no matter who they choose, especially with a national audience. Milbury most likely started out with half the fans disliking him due and the second he started giving opinions, there were even more. And then it snowballs.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
What are you trying to prove to me?

I said he was fired because he was not good at his job. I didnt fire him, all the fans that didnt like him didnt fire him. His bosses thought he was bad at his job and it seems like the people he worked with didnt like him either.

What point are you making?

Your comments were flawed. I pointed this out to you. I see that Mark has similarly pointed this out to you.

Im not “trying” to prove anything. The flaws stand on their own.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I see almost nothing in this post that can be considered “objective”.

Like I said before, he’ll most likely be replaced by another person that everyone complains about and for similar reasons.

Babcock is already set to trigger Avs and Leafs fans due to his affiliation with the Red Wings and how things went in Toronto. The second he says anything negative about certain teams, fans will be screaming about his bias (and perhaps rightfully so).

It’s problematic no matter who they choose, especially with a national audience. Milbury most likely started out with half the fans disliking him due and the second he started giving opinions, there were even more. And then it snowballs.

Regardless of whether you agree with his hockey takes or not, Milbury as a tv personality was/is a douche bag, imo. I have no problems with people getting fired because they are douche bags.

Give me Weekes off of NHL network or Jones or Sharp off of NBC sports. You don’t have to be a jerk to be a “hockey legit” analyst.

Last edited:

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
hockey pbp must be a total thankless job....

how fans can expect someone to be 100% flawless at calling a game that moves probably quicker than any other is quite an ask. I was trying to think of any other sport that doesn't have as many breaks as hockey and is as fast-paced. I can't come up with anything.....Maybe rugby? Soccer has some definite slow moments while the ball is being moved up field....Rugby is pretty flowing....I think hockey's the fastest though due to the small ice and the pace of the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad