Friedman: Colorado and Vegas Kicking Tires on Mark Stone

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Increases the value of the pick Colorado will draft with while decreasing the value of the first they send to Ottawa. Genius.
And could still work because Dorion must be desperate for 1sts of any kind.

And because he's an idiot.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Value wise, probably not much.

Joe Sakic making the trade: there’s nothing they can add to make that happen. He’s focused on the future and is the most patient man in hockey. He isn’t giving that 1st up.
Yeah... that's just a tough situation for Ott... I guess you could move Stone for a package, and hope for the best. Got to feel for the Ott fan base... what a terrible offseason, and the only positive thing being Hey at least well have a top pick in the dra… oh wait

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Can't imagine Sakic would seriously consider giving their first back. Can easily just prefer to wait and sign him in the off season if that's what Dorion demands

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I was amazed OTT traded with the Sharks after the last deal. Would be amazed if they traded with the Avs after the MD deal. When they traded EK, I thought the Stars could have bettered the offer, but maybe OTT was still upset over the Spezza deal. Apparently they dont hold grudge, since the Hoffman trade should have been fresh on their mind,

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Part of the reason Colorado would trade for Stone is to make that pick better. I’m sure they’d give a good futures package that didn’t include what looks like a top 3 pick.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Ottawa trading Stone would only increase the value of that pick for Colorado.

They are a bottom2 team without Karlsson, Stone, Hoffman, Brassard.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It's a tough call IMO. Mark Stone is a great player and is very much worth a high 1st round pick and more. That said, if the Avs could fall into say Jack Hughes? That would be huge....

Does anybody have the exact lottery odds for a team that finishes last in the NHL? I believe it’s still above a 50% chance that they pick 4th overall, right?

You never want to lose out on an opportunity at a Jack Hughes level talent, but Mark Stone probably provides more value than that pick is likely to if he is willing to re-sign.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
If Stone is going to leave Ottawa, for the fans sake I hope the deal involves getting their 1st back.

That makes sense but man would that trade look ugly when it's all said and done.

In
Duchene (unlikely he re-signs)

Out

Stone
Turris
3rd
Bowers
Hammond

And the worst part is: Stone > Duchene

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I be like, is this thang even true or treal mayne? Like is they getting a guy like stone like that... he's one of the best (even the best stealer of pucks in the game today), mayne he doin it bigg tyme baby. Having thangs and moving thangs. Like, is they getting him for that cheap? And it's like is he even liking to move or just living and loving it in canada? It's like I don't believe anything like journey.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
1. No way Ottawa will deal their most valuable remaining asset to Colorado without getting their 1st rounder back

2. No way Colorado will deal that 1st rounder now that Ottawa is guaranteed to sell off everything that resembles an NHL piece and is almost guaranteed to be a top 3 pick.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If I’m Colorado’s GM, I’m putting the condition of trading one of our 1sts... you get that least valued one. Which will most likely be Colorado’s.

Why does OTT do that though? If we're just talking about getting a 1st for Stone, OTT can trade him to many teams.

The entire point of Stone going to COL is that Sakic owns that OTT 2019 1st which is more valuable to Ottawa than it is to Colorado. Colorado knows it's going to almost certainly be a high pick, but Ottawa re-acquiring the pick means that they can tank their way to 4th overall via trading the last few strong veteran players they have other than Stone.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
That makes sense but man would that trade look ugly when it's all said and done.

In

Out

Stone
Turris
3rd
Bowers
Hammond

Yeah I agree, but at least they will have added one of these stud forwards from the 2019 crop to get excited about. I just think getting their pick back is probably their best chance at getting a truly elite piece out of all of this, I'd hate to see Stone moved for a usual rental type return of a couple B+ type pieces (late 1st + decent prospect etc).

Reactions: Brock Radunske

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
As I said in the other thread, their 1st straight up is probably reasonable. But neither team pulls the trigger.

If Stone had more than 1 year left then i'd be inclined to agree, but I have a feeling he's planning on going UFA so I wouldn't move that pick for him.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

In

Out

Stone
Turris
3rd
Bowers
Hammond

I agree, but it's foolish to avoid making the best long term move for a team just because it'll make past mistakes look worse. If Stone is not extending, and there's a chance even to swap Stone 1 for 1 for that pick, as terrible as it seems, at this point that is a lifeboat to the Senators. They could then proceed to trade Duchene for a package of picks/prospects, deal Ceci off somewhere like Edmonton who are in the market for a RD, and tank their way to a top 4 pick in what is supposed to be a draft with a very strong top end.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
I would guess they would want (besides their own 1st Round Pick) from Colorado.

:avs

Cale Makar or Connor Timmins
COL 2019 1st Round Pick
Maybe AJ Greer? Or just more picks like a 3rd or conditional 2nd.

Tougher for Vegas, they would have to add a crap ton of picks since I doubt they plan on moving Glass or Brannstrom.

:vegas

VGK 2019 1st Round Pick
DAL 2019 2nd Round Pick
Nicolas Hague
Maybe another pick?

It’s gonna take a lot doh to get a player as good as Stone is, he was like literally the only positive part of the Senators last year.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
1. No way Ottawa will deal their most valuable remaining asset to Colorado without getting their 1st rounder back

2. No way Colorado will deal that 1st rounder now that Ottawa is guaranteed to sell off everything that resembles an NHL piece and is almost guaranteed to be a top 3 pick.

I think you completely underestimate the stupidity of Dorion and Melnyk.

If Colorado makes a better off for Stone than other teams, Ottawa will gladly trade him there. What's done is done and they can't expect to get their 1st back in every single discussion with the Avalanche.

The fact that Friedman mentions they're talking makes me even more confident of keeping the Ottawa 1st. Sakic just watched the value of that pick go up immensely with the EK trade. He's not moving it. Period. I have complete faith in him to keep the pick.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Somewhere in California, Doug Wilson's ears just perked up
wilson-doug.jpg

Reactions: shortfuze

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad