Friedman: Colorado and Vegas Kicking Tires on Mark Stone

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If Ottawa trades Stone and Duchene I would like to know how they intend to get to the cap floor?
Let's fantasize for a moment ... Melnyk sells the team by Feb., Stone and Duchene resign and Karlsson returns. Ha!

They are at the floor without them this season due to MacArthur and Gaborik's insured contracts.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Senators don't have anything on their roster worth this first pick. If Colorado does deal it they f***ed up horribly.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Senators don't have anything on their roster worth this first pick. If Colorado does deal it they ****ed up horribly.

Sens should have just given their 2018 Pick rather than have the entire season be a distraction. I honestly don’t believe Tkachuk is worth as much as the possible 2019 selection.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
They should trade Stone to a team with a first who could be a lottery team. Even with Stone on their team. Thats easier said than done though.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Sens should have just given their 2018 Pick rather than have the entire season be a distraction. I honestly don’t believe Tkachuk is worth as much as the possible 2019 selection.

That’s easy, because Tkachuk is not worth as much as the possible 2019 selection.

Taking Tkachuk was purely a “we need to sell tickets” move. Going into the season telling fans “we expect to have a bottom 5 pick” means they would lose season ticket sales.

This whole franchise is a joke. Money is literally the only thing that matters.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
That’s easy, because Tkachuk is not worth as much as the possible 2019 selection.

Taking Tkachuk was purely a “we need to sell tickets” move. Going into the season telling fans “we expect to have a bottom 5 pick” means they would lose season ticket sales.

This whole franchise is a joke. Money is literally the only thing that matters.

Fans are not dumb (maybe not Leaf fans) if explained they’re rebuilding.

Tkachuk is a fine pick, but imagine if the 2019 Pick results in Hughes or Kakko. This is an unfair comparison that will follow his entire career.

Just terrible.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Fans are not dumb (maybe not Leaf fans) if explained they’re rebuilding.

Tkachuk is a fine pick, but imagine if the 2019 Pick results in Hughes or Kakko. This is an unfair comparison that will follow his entire career.

Just terrible.

Yup I’m totally with you.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I kinda agree. I also see the argument that they could finish 3rd to last or something and have 3 teams place ahead of them and now they gave up a 4th overall instead of a 6th. They made a shitty trade and no matter what were going to have to give up a major assets.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
You'd really have to respect him if he does sign an extension in Ottawa, but obviously they're unwilling to commit if it wasn't done in the offseason.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
They are at the floor without them this season due to MacArthur and Gaborik's insured contracts.
Roman Polak at 1 year 12 million next season.

Ruins the salary structure for every other gm out there

Dorian retires finally knowing his work is done

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Why would you trade the best 1st round pick in the league that could turn out to be Hughes or Kakko for what could only be a one year rental of Stone. Add to this that if Stone is included in the transaction the 1st rounder increase in value (increases chances Ottawa finishes last). Dorion just f*ck up, he can't undo the damage, he f*ck up too badly.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Stone will sign in Ottawa. 8 years x 8.5 mill
Maybe. I'd be willing to bet the year contract is meant to let them prove to him that they can turn their situation into something positive before doing so. So it depends how much worse or better it gets

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Why would you trade the best 1st round pick in the league that could turn out to be Hughes or Kakko for what could only be a one year rental of Stone. Add to this that if Stone is included in the transaction the 1st rounder increase in value (increases chances Ottawa finishes last). Dorion just f*ck up, he can't undo the damage, he f*ck up too badly.

Sens must have considered 2019 will involve losing or moving EK, Duchene, Stone & Dzingel. Brassard was moved at the TDL. Not only did they move their best player, but 4 of the top 6 forwards. Hoffman vs EK issue was supposedly known since Jan., they must have considered getting full value if traded early.

The level of incompetence is unbelievable, they should have known 2018 (known) vs 2019 (unknown) could be a PR nightmare if they're rebuilding.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Did Friedman actually say that Vegas and Colorado were "kicking tires" on Stone, or is this a misleading thread title?

Reactions: Groo

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I don't. Timmins has the potential to become an outright fantastic NHL defenseman.

I wouldn't trade anything of value for Stone before January 1st, after January 1st though I'd give up quite a bit to get him(Sens own 2019 1st is off limits period though in my books).

Yeah I really do think Timmins has top pairing upside in the NHL in the mold of a Alex Pietrangelo type Defender. But, we also already have Zadorov, Girard, Barrie, and EJ in the NHL. And we have Makar, and Meloche in the system.

Our Defense is at a spot right now where we can afford to lose one if it means getting a player as good as Stone back. Stone as our 2nd line RW behind Rantanen gives us an elite punch on that side. Throw in the prospect of drafting Hughes in June, or getting Kaako/Cozens/Podkolzin for the 2nd line as well and all of a sudden you've got an extremely deep Top 6 forward group and a Defense that didn't lose anybody off the roster nor did you lose the best Defensive prospect we have.

For a signed Stone on January 1st I'd offer Timmins + Colorado's own 1st(Top 5 Protected) + another prospect or young roster forward(Kerfoot/JTC/Kamenev type).

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm afraid to search google for Ottawa memes at this point.
Stone just recently came out and said that he doesn't want to leave the team and he seemed super positive during interviews and now in the name of that banker on South Park... And.... it's gone.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Did Friedman actually say that Vegas and Colorado were "kicking tires" on Stone, or is this a misleading thread title?

Yes misleading, but it doesn't matter. If this thread gets enough hits someone like Dregger will claim it as an unnamed source.

Reactions: Mac Attack

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
Sakic has been adamant about getting younger. I don't see him trading off: Makar, Timmins, Colorado 1st, Ottawa 1st (those both could be top 10 picks). Colorado barely made the playoffs and so many things had to go right last year for that to happen. I am in the minority that they take a step back and miss the playoffs.

If we want these soon to be free agents we can wait until Free Agency. But I think we will go after RFAs where clubs might be in trouble with cap. Colorado will have 35 million in cap room, with only Rants and Z that will cost over 4 million. The rest will more than likely be 1-3million. LIke i said they could be adding 2 top 10 picks, Makar, Timmins, Kaut. They will know which young guys they want to keep and who they can package. I think the next big-time player they trade off the team will be Barrie (2 years to UFA) or Johnson (5 years remaining with injuries)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad