Friedman: Colorado and Vegas Kicking Tires on Mark Stone

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Why does OTT do that though? If we're just talking about getting a 1st for Stone, OTT can trade him to many teams.

The entire point of Stone going to COL is that Sakic owns that OTT 2019 1st which is more valuable to Ottawa than it is to Colorado. Colorado knows it's going to almost certainly be a high pick, but Ottawa re-acquiring the pick means that they can tank their way to 4th overall via trading the last few strong veteran players they have other than Stone.

And how is that enticing to Colorado? They’d rather keep the your pick.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Uh. Hey Vegas. Defense. Brannstrom and Whitecloud look real good but stacking the offense might not be the answer to what's been going on around the West.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
It could maybe make a little sense around the trade deadline. If Colorado are in a playoff spot, and Ottawa are bad but comfortably out of the basement; maybe somewhere like 7th or 8th worst in the league. At that point you're looking at moving a ~10th overall pick for a prime age top line winger which seems fine assuming you can extend him.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Why would Stone be worth that much more than Karlsson?

Because he'd agree to re-sign with the new team? Karlsson was traded at rental value.

If Stone doesn't agree to extend with us before the trade we don't want him anyway.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Because he'd agree to re-sign with the new team? Karlsson was traded at rental value.

If Stone doesn't agree to extend with us before the trade we don't want him anyway.

If Stone wants 8 years he has to wait until the trade deadline. Plus Ottawa can't do a sign and trade (until Jan) because of arbitration.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If Stone wants 8 years he has to wait until the trade deadline. Plus Ottawa can't do a sign and trade (until Jan) because of arbitration.

AVS aren't after a rental for obvious reasons. Make of that what you will.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Now that Karlsson is gone, I wonder if Makar would be enough to get Stone (extended)? The Avs still have the Sens’ pick.

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
If OTT can somehow pull off a miracle and get the Avs to trade them their first back for Stone+ I would be wayyyyy more optimistic about the Sens rebuild. Then if they could trade Duchene for another first to another team then I think they would really be sitting pretty.

I know trading EK was not ideal but if they are gonna go full rebuild that’s what needed to happen.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
If Ottawa trades Stone and Duchene I would like to know how they intend to get to the cap floor?
Let's fantasize for a moment ... Melnyk sells the team by Feb., Stone and Duchene resign and Karlsson returns. Ha!

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...
Said it when the EK trade happened and I'll say it again. Every team should be kicking the tires on Duchene/Stone... He'll even if you don't want them that much you might be able to flip them for something better. Just considering how poorly this Ottawa team has been managed I would consider it worth my time as a GM.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Out of curiosity, if Colorado knows stone will sign with them... how much does Ott add to get their 1st back?

Nothing.

Stone is what you hope a top-5 pick turns out to be, if you're lucky.

Also still decently young. This of course under the condition that he is signed for at least 5 years.

Reactions: Getz2perry

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Colorado would be such fools if they didn't keep this pick. This is a rare opportunity. That Duchene trade was very bad for Ottawa. All seem to have gone downwards from that point.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I would guess they would want (besides their own 1st Round Pick) from Colorado.

:avs

Cale Makar or Connor Timmins
COL 2019 1st Round Pick
Maybe AJ Greer? Or just more picks like a 3rd or conditional 2nd.

Tougher for Vegas, they would have to add a crap ton of picks since I doubt they plan on moving Glass or Brannstrom.

:vegas

VGK 2019 1st Round Pick
DAL 2019 2nd Round Pick
Nicolas Hague
Maybe another pick?

It’s gonna take a lot doh to get a player as good as Stone is, he was like literally the only positive part of the Senators last year.
Have you been paying attention to Ottawa’s last 2 trades? What we may consider a lot is simply not the same as what Dorion considers a lot.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
If Stone is going to leave Ottawa, for the fans sake I hope the deal involves getting their 1st back.

Would you trade an unprotected 1st from an expected bottom feeder team for a pending UFA winger?

Keeping in mind that the general value for pending UFA ~65 point wingers is usually a mid/late 1st + B-prospect + pick (Evander Kane got a conditional 1st which required him to re-sign, a 4th rounder, and a C-prospect, as the most recent example).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad