Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Please bring me Gallant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
If Reirden is the reason for Riikola getting a proper shot this morning, I'm all for Reirden as the interim coach when Sully is fired.
He did a great job for the Caps. I don’t want to swap one coach that gets dominated by Trotz for another coach that will also get owned him no-neck Trotz. Reirden was 4-8 in the playoffs as HC.

No thanks

So we are going to hand the keys over to someone because they decided to play our #6/7 dman for one game? Keep in mind, Riikola only played because Matheson was injured. It’s not like he went out on a limb playing him...

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union

If it's a separated shoulder he's out for half the year. If he has to get surgery on it he's out for the entire year.

Whatever. I don´t hate Matheson, but the Pens need to simplify their defensive game. At this point, Ruhwedel and Riikola are better elements for that than Matheson. And it speaks volumes about Ceci, who can´t even crack the lineup with one of the regulars being injured.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Matheson will be the hard one to knock out of the lineup when healthy at his price tag much like JJ was so you hope he turns it around even if it's on the bottom pairing which they quickly moved him to after game 1.

But it's nice to see that Ceci isn't gonna be a staple of this D. They tossed him after one game like it was nothin'.

Or who knows maybe Reirdon grows a hard on for Riiko and would sit a healthy Matheson for him. We'll see how it plays out.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Whatever. I don´t hate Matheson, but the Pens need to simplify their defensive game. At this point, Ruhwedel and Riikola are better elements for that than Matheson. And it speaks volumes about Ceci, who can´t even crack the lineup with one of the regulars being injured.
Riikola-Ruhwedel isn't gonna win any awards but it's a perfectly fine bottom pairing. I think we're miserably lacking offense/transition from the backend beyond Letang, as has been the case for years, but it is what it is.

The real issue with our defensive play is the absolutely embarrassing effort by the forwards to track their guys, backcheck, and come down low to help out. But, like our issues with offensive pressure from the blueline, that's a situation that's been plaguing this team for years.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
First game I've watched start to finish this season. What boring hockey we're playing. Barely generated any real chances. Our 3rd line looked the most dangerous (man Jankowski is proving to be a great signing so far), and apart from Zucker and Geno in the 3rd no-one looked like they wanted to shoot the puck. We look exactly like we've looked for 3 years now, can we get a new coach already?

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
That is why I wasn't concerned about the first 2 games. Our biggest question marks was our bottom 6. Seeing how well that 3rd line is playing I think we can have a very strong season once this team gets the rust off. I just hope Sullivan isn't an idiot and inserts Kapanen on the top line and then puts Rodriguez on the 3rd line and bumps Tanev back with Blueger. I don't think Sullivan is that stupid but I have to say I am a little scared. Hopefully Kapanen comes in and Rodriguez goes on the 4th line or bench.
never under estimate the power of the sully.:nod:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If Sully thinks the team will just "figure it out" or if he thinks the team wouldn't have the same exact first round exit they just had.... idk who they are kidding. If that team were playing a best of 7, they are going to f***ing get smashed. It's the same defensive awareness issues. It's the same lack of movement on the PP. It's the same issues.

At least they stopped wildly flying around on the PK like they did in the first two.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Really sloppy game by both teams but we got the points. Sid and Geno made so many casually terrible passes that you gotta wonder what's going on with the team. Malkin's shooting has been utterly embarrassing ever since the end of the regular season (okay, it's been only seven games but still) and Rust... did he even play? I don't know if the stars are tuning out the coach or think we can somehow make the playoffs with this lackadaisical attitude but something's got to give. Kudos to the role players (and Jake) for giving us a much needed win.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think Sully is stupid at all. He's a very intelligent coach. The problem is he is stubborn and arrogant.
If the end result is the same; a lack of adjustments and changes to personnel results in a loss heavily due to self-inflicted problems--who gives a shit if you've got Sully refusing to make changes or Bylsma, a dunce who is incapable of making said changes.

-edit- It's probably worse to have a coach who consistently puts your team two steps back from the start due to arrogance and a spiteful stubbornness than it is to just have a guy who is simply unable to make the right decisions due to incompetence.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColePens

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
nonsense. DeSmith sucks. You made Jarry your #1 goalie, you go back to him Tuesday & keep playing him. Otherwise why get rid of Muzz?
Because you can’t afford to piss away games with how Jarry is playing. You play whoever is hot this year. You don’t have the luxury of waiting around for Jarry to figure it out; not after pissing away 2 games.

It’s amazing people want Jarry back in net so soon after today...amazing and odd

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Because you can’t afford to piss away games with how Jarry is playing. You play whoever is hot this year. You don’t have the luxury of waiting around for Jarry to figure it out; not after pissing away 2 games.

It’s amazing people want Jarry back in net so soon after today...amazing and odd

Because the team as a whole looked like ass save the 3rd line. It's like saying sit Malkin because he's looked like ass. Nothing wrong with putting DeSmith in and let Jarry regroup. Jarry is still the starter.

Plus, the Pens are all out of top goalie prospects to keep doing tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad