Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Please bring me Gallant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The Pens are a bizarre team so far this season. The third line which I expected to be a weakness has been a strength. The top two lines have been ass. Desmith outplaying Jarry I guess isn't hugely surprising but is certainly disappointing.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Team has the COVID blues and we will need a goalie or one of these guys to really step up if we are going to make the playoffs.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Because you can’t afford to piss away games with how Jarry is playing. You play whoever is hot this year. You don’t have the luxury of waiting around for Jarry to figure it out; not after pissing away 2 games.

It’s amazing people want Jarry back in net so soon after today...amazing and odd

then why did you get rid of your two-time Cup winner? Jarry is the #1 goalie. You just gave him a three year contract. You let him figure it out. People have to start understanding the championship window is now closed & that the team will need to rebuild. Jarry is your future & your present. Put him back in net & put the AHL stiff on the bench.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Me seeing that we won in a SO, but a win is a win:

tumblr_n80u6gZ4g51qg4blro2_500.gif

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
then why did you get rid of your two-time Cup winner? Jarry is the #1 goalie. You just gave him a three year contract. You let him figure it out. People have to start understanding the championship window is now closed & that the team will need to rebuild. Jarry is your future & your present. Put him back in net & put the AHL stiff on the bench.
Because Murray was going to be too expensive.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
nonsense. DeSmith sucks. You made Jarry your #1 goalie, you go back to him Tuesday & keep playing him. Otherwise why get rid of Muzz?

DeSmith doesn't suck, and he did really well in the 18-19 season. The only reason Jarry got the chance last year in 19-20 was because DeSmith was more expensive.

Sure they gave Jarry a contract and gave him the reigns, but his leash is fairly short (as you can see). I think the starter position is more up for grabs than you think.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
But then they traded for more expensive & longer term trash in Mike M and the signed trash like Rodriguez, Ceci, etc etc etc
Oh, they definitely signed unneeded garbage this off-season. $6.25 mill AAV is too much for a goalie that ranked 50th in save% and barely in the top 40 in GAA last year. Murray has been off for several years. Plus, Jarry outplayed him last year.

The cap savings should have been used for better players; I’m not arguing that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Oh, they definitely signed unneeded garbage this off-season. $6.25 mill AAV is too much for a goalie that ranked 50th in save% and barely in the top 40 in GAA last year. Murray has been off for several years. Plus, Jarry outplayed him last year.

The cap savings should have been used for better players; I’m not arguing that.

What unneeded garbage outside Ceci did they sign this off season?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
With MM out this gives Sully no excuses to not play them again on Tuesday. Riik and Ruh should be in the line up. With the outcome from today, (yesterday now) as it was, hopefully they leave those six guys in.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Haha I’m not getting into this again to get another infraction here. I should have said signed and acquired.

No, go ahead and say it...Jankowski - whose been great in all 3 games - and Erod - who is currently playing well over his head at 1RW despite scoring.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
First game I've watched start to finish this season. What boring hockey we're playing. Barely generated any real chances. Our 3rd line looked the most dangerous (man Jankowski is proving to be a great signing so far), and apart from Zucker and Geno in the 3rd no-one looked like they wanted to shoot the puck. We look exactly like we've looked for 3 years now, can we get a new coach already?
If you think the Washington game was boring, good thing you didn’t watch the last two Philly games. At least there was more than a single odd-man-rush in yesterday’s game.

Reactions: EightyOne

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

So a 3rd pair in 3rd pair minutes is effective if you keep them at 3rd pair minutes? Ruhwedel, I can see that argument for, but Riikola has shown more, it's a shame they kept playing Johnson over him last year when they really could have figured out if he was worth his current contract, but now we're in a Pandemic shortened season, the remix, and we're now having to see Matheson, Riikola, Ruhwedel, and Ceci rotated in and out and likely POJ too because he's on the Taxi Squad.

This is a team that can't avoid dog shit on the road the last 3yrs, they step in each one on their path to wherever the f*** this is going these days.

Reactions: LOGiK

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
No, go ahead and say it...Jankowski - whose been great in all 3 games - and Erod - who is currently playing well over his head at 1RW despite scoring.
Jank is playing great. Dumo basically shot the puck off E-Rod and Samsanov played it terribly.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Because the team as a whole looked like ass save the 3rd line. It's like saying sit Malkin because he's looked like ass. Nothing wrong with putting DeSmith in and let Jarry regroup. Jarry is still the starter.

Plus, the Pens are all out of top goalie prospects to keep doing tag.

Nah it’s not the same at all. Goalies are in the entire game and a bad performance almost guarantees a loss the way the whole team is playing. If your back up gives you a better chance to win, especially in a shortened season with division only games, you play him.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I've always thought Riikola was just missing the ability to be a nightly player and have a position and a partner he knew he was going to play with. The guy has some skill. I know there is a huge debate with some particular posters here about that, but it's true.

Yet.

Give it time. Maybe next game.

I don't think it's a flash. It's a really well constructed line. They bring a energy and forechecking ability along with some secondary scoring potential. I just didn't realize Jankowski would be able to come in an play 3C like he is. Only downside of Jankowski is that he is having a rough time in the dot and they are making him take a ton of defensive zone draws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad