Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens/Yotes - Back in the win column!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
To be fair to Mackey, he's an idiot and the 4th line did have a really good game against Washington. They were terrible last night, but they did have 1 good game. At this point, I think you need to start questioning if Cullen is the problem on that line, but I've beaten this dead horse already.

It seems like ZAR is a lock to stay on the 4th line, which I don't have a problem with. I always thought that he was sent back to WBS because he had a terrible camp, but he was going to be called right back up as soon as he started playing well in WBS. I still believe that the Penguins viewed him as a full time NHLer in the off-season, he was just so bad in the pre-season that they had to send him to WBS. But now that he's playing better again, he's back up for good with the Penguins. I think this is a factor for why they're looking to trade Sprong, too.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
To be fair to Mackey, he's an idiot and the 4th line did have a really good game against Washington. They were terrible last night, but they did have 1 good game. At this point, I think you need to start questioning if Cullen is the problem on that line, but I've beaten this dead horse already.

It seems like ZAR is a lock to stay on the 4th line, which I don't have a problem with. I always thought that he was sent back to WBS because he had a terrible camp, but he was going to be called right back up as soon as he started playing well in WBS. I still believe that the Penguins viewed him as a full time NHLer in the off-season, he was just so bad in the pre-season that they had to send him to WBS. But now that he's playing better again, he's back up for good with the Penguins. I think this is a factor for why they're looking to trade Sprong, too.

I think Cullen is part of the problem on that line at ES...I understand why he’s playing because of his PK but I wish he wouldn’t play as much...ZAR has been solid but the line needs someone who can provide more offensive help....I still think they’re stupid to try to trade Sprong unless they can get someone gifted offensively for the top 9....why not try for the moment

Simon-Sid-Phil
Hags-G-Sprong
Jake-Sheahan-Horny
ZAR-Blueger/Cullen-Rust

When Brass returns, slide Sheahan down and alternate ZAR, Cullen and Rust...

EDIT...Sprong and G might help each other get out their funks ? Both Horny and Hags with G while he’s not in God mode is a bad idea...he needs a more skilled offensive player

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
2008 and 2009 was just nuts. How often do you get to meet the same team that stole the dream you worked your entire life for, again? And then exact revenge on them?

And then have an entire Red Wings fan base still be sour about it 9yrs later, lol.
Seeing Hossa crying on the bench was such a beautiful sight. An unforgettable display of karma.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Can we scratch Wilson and try not to tank Sprong's value any further?

No kidding, right?

It should also be noted that Johnson has been playing well even before getting paired with Letang, he's now at a 6 game streak of playing good hockey. It seems like it took a little bit of an adjustment for him to get comfortable with the team, and he's more comfortable now and playing with a D partner that can ease up his responsibility. Johnson last night looked really good, especially on the powerplay.

It seemed like Johnson was really hit or miss for about the first 8 or 9 games of the season, but he has settled in recently with playing solid hockey. Johnson hasn't been so hot and cold, like he was to start the season.

I thought Johnson has been playing as a decent 2nd pairing #4 for several games now. I just don't like the JJ-Maatta pairing. As long as we stay away from that, I think we can make it work. That said, I do wish we had $3.25mil in space right now...

Wilson is meh. He's a 4th liner who brings what any 4th liner will bring. I am 100% against him taking time away from Sprong. That said, I'm not thrilled with anything 4th line related right now. I worry that Cullen, who I do like, is burrowing his way in beyond reproach.

When Brassard comes back is the tipping point. I think that is when we will see movement. I think ZAR and Wilson is the battle for the 12/13.

I'd love it if we could run a 4th line of ZAR-Sheahan-Sprong. But I believe we will have Sheahan-Cullen-ZAR 4th line with a new late round pick and a WBS journeyman. Wilson as the 13th. And that makes me sad.

Give me ZAR-Bleuger-Sprong, or give me death

Not yet.

Sullivan has found his new Kuhn and Rowney.

Ugh. That's the last thing we need.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd love it if we could run a 4th line of ZAR-Sheahan-Sprong.

No thanks. All the no thanks.

If we want to keep and use Sprong, it has to be on a sheltered scoring line. I think he has proven beyond doubt that he's not going to be part of a respectable 4th line any time soon. I'm willing to believe that he's got the offensive skillset to contribute beyond his defensive weaknesses in the right spot, but if you put him out there where people can exploit his weaknesses? No.

I'm not a big fan of Garrett Wilson, if the plan is to have a big physical energetic 4th line that hits a lot then I am counting down the days until Angello is considered ready for the NHL, but if it comes down to Wilson or Sprong on the 4th line I'm picking Wilson every time.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
No thanks. All the no thanks.

If we want to keep and use Sprong, it has to be on a sheltered scoring line. I think he has proven beyond doubt that he's not going to be part of a respectable 4th line any time soon. I'm willing to believe that he's got the offensive skillset to contribute beyond his defensive weaknesses in the right spot, but if you put him out there where people can exploit his weaknesses? No.

I'm not a big fan of Garrett Wilson, if the plan is to have a big physical energetic 4th line that hits a lot then I am counting down the days until Angello is considered ready for the NHL, but if it comes down to Wilson or Sprong on the 4th line I'm picking Wilson every time.

Yeah Angello is my top prospect right now(the guys who are ready to move up).

Better version of ZAR

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Meh. Once Brassard is gone Wilson is likely gone too.

A fourth line of ZAR - Cullen - Sheahan or whatever is fine with me.

If they want to plug in TB at some point also, cool.

Mashed potato feet, a guy on his last legs, and a ghost that doesn’t appear even when he’s played with Kessel and Guentzel.

Sounds awesome.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Why? I mean Crosby winning an Art Ross would be cool, but I think it’s pretty obvious he don’t care.

Because it seemed like an unnecessary "I care more about team success, stop crying about individual points" response to me simply saying it seems like Crosby isn't getting those 4 point nights like he used to in games when he "could have easily gotten 4 points".

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Amazed Sprong is being used the exact way he was at 19 years old..3 seasons ago.

MJ didn’t trust him defensively and didn’t really want him on the team at that point. JR tried to force it and wasted a waiver exempt year.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I mean was Kuhn - Cullen - Fehr really that much better?

Fehr was basically put into the A for two years after leaving here.

Cullen was playing lights out hockey back then, and was able to play at the level of a third pivot. He basically carried Kuhn on his back with his playmaking and now he looks done.

There is zero creativity on that line with those three, unless Cullen makes another deal with the devil, not sure how that’s going to change.

Reactions: KIRK and vodeni

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
It should also be noted that Johnson has been playing well even before getting paired with Letang, he's now at a 6 game streak of playing good hockey. It seems like it took a little bit of an adjustment for him to get comfortable with the team, and he's more comfortable now and playing with a D partner that can ease up his responsibility. Johnson last night looked really good, especially on the powerplay.

It seemed like Johnson was really hit or miss for about the first 8 or 9 games of the season, but he has settled in recently with playing solid hockey. Johnson hasn't been so hot and cold, like he was to start the season.

A photo of @pixiesfanyo today ;)

3601c70fcb582f7ae755c133f97a3aaa643280796037585cef3761233fda876c.jpg

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
MJ didn’t trust him defensively and didn’t really want him on the team at that point. JR tried to force it and wasted a waiver exempt year.
And at the time...we all knew that would bite us in the rear end when the time came...and here we are.

Another year in the AHL would be great right now.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Cullen was playing lights out hockey back then, and was able to play at the level of a third pivot. He basically carried Kuhn on his back with his playmaking and now he looks done.

There is zero creativity on that line with those three, unless Cullen makes another deal with the devil, not sure how that’s going to change.
its amazing that three guys they bring from A are ZAR, Grant and Smith, I mean can you get any slower and non-creative, they may be good muckers at that level but you need speed and a bit of creativity in today's NHL, how abpout try guuys with hands ans speed: just try: TB, DiPauli, Lafferty Angello, Haggerty, what's to lose...

Reactions: Andy99

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
You can't allow a coach to run roughshod over the organization. Sully does not get to choose his personal, he is supposed to coach what he has.

Sully's behavior is arrogant and smug. I will try to keep my unhappiness moving forward to a minimal as not to spread negativity on a daily basis. But I will silently root for Sully to fail in an epic manner to usher his sorry but out of Pittsburgh.

FYI, a lot of his attitude is very typical of the behavior of where he is from.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
its amazing that three guys they bring from A are ZAR, Grant and Smith, I mean can you get any slower and non-creative, they may be good muckers at that level but you need speed and a bit of creativity in today's NHL, how abpout try guuys with hands ans speed: just try: TB, DiPauli, Lafferty Angello, Haggerty, what's to lose...

Wilson, not even going to waste my time there.

They think ZAR is a future top six guy. It’s frustrating as hell to watch. I’ve literally followed their farm since the mid 90s when I started getting interested in prospects as a kid.

Not once... has a bad skater in all of that time, become a legit top six guy. Not a single guy in 25+ years. I could rail off a list of guys that would make people want to cry. Now skating is more important than ever in this league.

ZAR has nice hands around the net. That’s it. He’s Mango Salsa come back to haunt us. So he will surely pot some goals and that will be enough to convince Sullivan to move him into the top six and he will bog his line down, occasionally capitalizing on loose change.

You want a legit guy, ya, should have been Angello. Can skate, plays a much heavier game than ZAR, has sneaky skills... and while I’m not sure he’s a top six guy, I wouldn’t be upset to see him up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad