Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Red Wings and it didn't go so well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'd consider Calgary a fast team. I wouldn't consider Boston a slow team whatsoever. I don't watch enough Sharks games to comment so I'll just go with you on that one. :laugh: It sort of brings up an interesting question; What makes a fast team? The number of guys who can skate fast? We didn't exactly have a full lineup of speedsters a la NHL 94. We had a few, sprinkled throughout the lineup, but the more important thing is that we played fast. I wouldn't consider Sid or Geno blazing fast anymore, but they have a gear they can reach where they push the pace. We used to have this killer instinct, aggressive style where we were constantly on the counter attack. Things seem so much more stale and structured now. I don't know if that's a roster composition thing, or a coaching thing, or guys just not giving a **** as much anymore (which I suppose leads back to coaching).

I don't think we were a fast team because we had Hags, an engaged Kessel, and Rust. I think we were a fast team because of our style of play, which fell in line with having guys like Hags, Phil, and Rust. It also doesn't help that Schultz is struggling as much as Phil all season, maybe worse. That's a big missing piece in terms of being able to play fast, the transition game Schultz can bring. Especially with Letang battling his neck/spine thing. It doesn't matter much if we have speedy forwards, to be fair, when our transition game is on the stick of guys like Maatta, JJ, Gudbranson and Trotman.

Rough stuff.

I agree with all of this.

I just think people are too quick (lol) to blame our problems on speed. Speed isn’t speed, speed is playing fast as you described and without Schultz, Letang and yes even Maatta our transistion game as expected is a disaster.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

Hopefully this is a good thing that Letang and Geno aren't skating before practice.

They are either skating with the team or aren't skating at all.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm sure Geno will play in the playoffs. Even if he's not healthy, he's forced himself into the lineup in the past. Not exactly a good thing, but it is what it is--that's Geno.

I'm hoping Tanger is good to go too, but I'm less sure about him. If he misses these playoffs and has another neck surgery this summer, I'll be genuinely concerned as to whether or not his career is over. Scary stuff.

Either way, it's not exactly encouraging that we're two games away from the end of the regular season, still neck and neck with a couple of teams/fighting for home ice, and neither of our big guys are taking part in regular practices, let alone dressing. That doesn't bode well for their current situations.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Not only is this not the popular vote, it's nonsensical. Letang and Malkin are injured every year. Wishing to miss the playoffs for them to get healthy is illogical since they will just get injured again next March.
Meh I just don't see it out of them this year. But hey man, dat playoff revenue!

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Well, of course if our stars dont show up we look worse, but I dont agree with the premise that JR's trades arent showing up. Last night, McCann was pretty invisible, fair enough, but Bjug's line (once again) dominated its TOI and manufactured about a billion chances. Howard was just the right combination of good and lucky when he had to be. You could say that about the Pens night in general, but L3 seemed to do what it always does: get sustained pressure, hold it in the zone, lose the puck and then win it back in the O-zone, and just generally be the right combination of pesky and rangy. And before last night they had 6 points in their last three games between them.

No doubt, Gudbranson has been pleasantly unnoticeable on the blueline. Has been without many major gaffes (the kind we were all assured would happen by the truck load every game). But after a touch and go start, the two Florida guys, especially Bjugstad, are good enough to drive a line. McCann, IMO, should be put back with Sid. And get ZAR back
This isn't an indictment on those players necessarily. But McCann at times and even you alluded to it was invisible. Gudbranson being invisible is actually a good thing. I think Bjugstad has been noticeable more times than not and that line garners plenty of zone time, and helps create plenty of scoring chances. But they need to finish more. And that's also what I'm speaking to. We can carry the play but not get the desired result. We need more consistency in putting up points.

And I'm not saying that our stars have to merely show up, I'm saying they have to carry us on their backs. Which is a bit different. And that's a burden at this stage in their careers that may be a bit too much to ask for. If we can get more in the way of consistent production from others, we ( in theory anyhow) will be a tough out provided MM plays close to his abilities.

Last edited:

treeni12

Oct 30, 2018
Why? Rust IMO should play with Geno. Heck Geno just potentially playing with anyone is a good thing. We need him.
I wanted McCann get couple of game with him. Rust-Malkin-Kessel won't work if Kessel plays like he's been playing

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
One thing I can say is annoying is AJ getting dropped for Wilson.

I actually don't mind it. Wilson's possession stats are decent considering he gets buried in d-zone starts. He also provides an element of physicality that frankly most of our lineup lacks. And he has played well of late with a good goal vs the Canes.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I wanted McCann get couple of game with him. Rust-Malkin-Kessel won't work if Kessel plays like he's been playing
Crosby-Malkin-Kessel won't work if Kessel plays like he's been playing. At this point you just have to hope that the 2nd line plays even. If the other 3 lines can beat their match ups, we're in a good spot. Not a fan of Rust on L1 or L2, but maybe his game meshes better with Geno than it does Sid.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
So where are you putting Phil?
that is the key question...hate to say this but they have to find the line where he would cause the least amount of damage...I still feel he should be playing with Bjugs...he can hold onto the puck, give some possession time for that line...give Phil a chance to create something and get open for some shots..

It all come down to our inabi;ity to slot Horny with Sid...if that is to happen, other chips would fall much easier
Jake Sid Horny
McCann/Simon Geno Rust
McCann/Simon Bjugs Kessel
Blueger Matt Wilson

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
that is the key question...hate to say this but they have to find the line where he would cause the least amount of damage...I still feel he should be playing with Bjugs...he can hold onto the puck, give some possession time for that line...give Phil a chance to create something and get open for some shots..

It all come down to our inabi;ity to slot Horny with Sid...if that is to happen, other chips would fall much easier
Jake Sid Horny
McCann/Simon Geno Rust
McCann/Bjugs Kessel
Blueger Matt Wilson
I’d rather run the 3rd line that has looked the best since HBK in terms of stats than try to base a third line off of Kessel.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I feel like people are just ignoring the realities with this team. This team lives and dies on Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Murray and Kessel. The rest of the team can win you a game here and there, but you're going to really struggle to win if any more than 1 of that group is struggling. It just makes everything worse when a lot of your depth players are struggling at the same time that your top guys are either struggling or hurt.

That's just what this team is, they're super streaky. They can either lose in 5 games in the 1st round, while not being able to score a goal, or they can make a cup run. If you want to debate reasons for that, be my guest, but that's just what the team is at this point. The fact that people are just scapegoating Kessel for the team's issues right now just tells me that people don't want to admit that fact.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I’d rather run the 3rd line that has looked the best since HBK in terms of stats than try to base a third line off of Kessel.
Thas why I said about least amount of damage, I love that line a lot but there is a legit concern of these guys scoring...all the chances they created, Horny scored one and I think Bjugs one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad