Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Red Wings and it didn't go so well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Pens are just not hungry and it shows up to often. Yes this was a mediocre effort and while hopeful Malkin and Letang come back to top performance, they are looking more like a wildcard team which will be a harder match up. Win Thursday and Saturday and play the Islanders.

Yes. This.

They aren’t hungry.

They aren’t hungry.

They just don’t care about winning anymore.

We should face this fact and stop treating Pens like some kind of real Cup contender.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I understand people use the last handful of games to see where the team is at, but it's one game. Yes, they were subpar against a team they could (should) have beaten, BUT... they've brought their A game against legit teams (e.g., Tampa) as well.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Not a fan of Simon with Geno. Just not.

It looks like McCann-Sid-Jake, Rust-Geno-Phil, Simon-Bjugs-Horny, Blugs-Cullen-Wilson gets first crack. Can't say it's not the smart play.

You might not be a fan of it, but it's something that hasn't been tried, and if it doesn't work than slide Simon down to the 4th and move Rust over to the left and move Horny up. Or maybe even just try moving AJ up in Simon's spot. In fact the four wingers could possibly work in almost any combination.

Simon - Geno - Rust
Rust - Geno - Horny
AJ - Geno - Rust/Horny

The only combo that doesn't seem to work for me would be Simon and AJ together with Geno...but who knows

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You might not be a fan of it, but it's something that hasn't been tried, and if it doesn't work than slide Simon down to the 4th and move Rust over to the left and move Horny up. Or maybe even just try moving AJ up in Simon's spot. In fact the four wingers could possibly work in almost any combination.

Simon - Geno - Rust
Rust - Geno - Horny
AJ - Geno - Rust/Horny

The only combo that doesn't seem to work for me would be Simon and AJ together with Geno...but who knows

Is tearing apart the best third line we’ve seen in nearly two seasons worth that?

Malkin and Kessel if we have solid depth on the other lines is good enough to win a cup.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yes! We need more turnovers, lazy backchecks, blown PP opportunities and wasted scoring chances! Bring on the Geno!

PS And I don’t give a F if somebody thinks I bring up too many negative points.

I’m mad at Pens, and I don’t want to calm down, and I don’t care what you think!
I was thinking more along the lines of his offensive acumen, creativity and ability to accumulate points consistently, but yeah, he does turnover the puck more than he should.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Is tearing apart the best third line we’ve seen in nearly two seasons worth that?

Malkin and Kessel if we have solid depth on the other lines is good enough to win a cup.

So...because Simon - Bjugs - Horny passes the eye test, you want to call them the best third line. I'll admit, they have looked good, they also have great possession stats. However Horny has like 1 ES goal since January and Simon hasn't been doing great either. So is it worth keeping the line together only because it works for Bjugs? Or is it better to find 4 lines that produce?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I wanted McCann get couple of game with him. Rust-Malkin-Kessel won't work if Kessel plays like he's been playing
I see, I myself really want Rust playing with Geno. TBH I would like to see a McCann-G-Rust line.

Reactions: Trade

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
So...because Simon - Bjugs - Horny passes the eye test, you want to call them the best third line. I'll admit, they have looked good, they also have great possession stats. However Horny has like 1 ES goal since January and Simon hasn't been doing great either. So is it worth keeping the line together only because it works for Bjugs? Or is it better to find 4 lines that produce?

They are averaging a GF per game in terms of average minutes and have 2 GA in nearly 130 minutes.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Why would we drop Simon? He was our best forward two games in a row like a game ago.

Well, dropped to the 4th then. Mostly because he is not consistent enough, certainly not enough to be in the top 6 playing with Crosby.

Not a real big Simon fan at all.

His game logs read like that of a 4th liner.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I just hope your list starts at Letang.

For some reason it's not. 1) Always injured. 2) 8-2-2 without him. 3) Makes 7.25 million. But unfathomable to even consider trading him. Some of these fans fall in love with players instead of the logo on front. It would be Flower situation x100.

Reactions: Angrrus

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
SouthGeorge and Angrrus are this board's tiki torch-wielding frat bros when it comes to Letang, huh?

He's good, guys. He's very good. His injury situation is frustrating, but he's a legitimate stud defenseman. :laugh:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think Simon's a solid guy to keep around. I like him more than ZAR at least. Even if he doesn't work out long-term on that third line--which has been one of our stronger lines for a while--he'd be a solid fourth liner with Blueger and AJ imo.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Do you think he’s leeching off other players? He’s been on the ice for 10GF without Malkin and Sid while putting up solid possession stats.

Yes, some of them just monster efforts from guys like Bjugstad and such who actually do things like drive to the net rather than passing it around some more. He has decent board work. If he's to be trusted to be in the top 9/6 he needs to better that.

Since the new year 4 goals and 15 points in 3 months of work. Pretty much a half of a season.

I'm not all that impressed.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yes, some of them just monster efforts from guys like Bjugstad and such who actually do things like drive to the net rather than passing it around some more. He has decent board work. If he's to be trusted to be in the top 9/6 he needs to better that.

Since the new year 4 goals and 15 points in 3 months of work. Pretty much a half of a season.

I'm not all that impressed.

You must hate Kessel because him and Simon have the same amount of ES goals since Jan 1.

He’s also firmly out four best producing winger which is impressive considering he’s played nearly two times as many minutes away from Geno and Sid versus with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad