Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus - Pens vs. Flyers... embarrassing

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
We'll miss ya Bobby...

and Zach Sill and Arcobello remain...

Don't waive the totally useless guy who, you know, cost you the hockey game.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Yeah NBCSN's coverage of the game may have been more pathetic than the game itself. JR praising how "unbelievable" the Flyers were playing and how fighting as a team just could be enough to turn their season around. Oh okay so injuring the other team and instigating fights is playing unbelievable hockey? And the smile on Keith Jones face and how entertaining this game was just sickens me. I despise ESPN, but when games like this are praised by on air personalities, can we really blame ESPN for hating hockey?

I turned off sound on the NBCSN broadcast pretty quickly and did not watch in between periods. Just cannot stand to listen to them. Needless to say I do the same when Pens announcers are my option.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Yep. Malkin was jumping on like he's done a million times before in that situation. I think Sill was heading straight to the bench and wonder, if the puck's coming at Sill's feet and he lets it go through his legs without touching it whether they still call the penalty with Malkin where he was.

But he didn't just touch the puck, he literally stopped 3/4 of the way to bench after that and then went to pursue the puck. Then, presumably after the entire bench screamed at him to get off, he turned back to skate to the bench.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Last year's power play (pre-playoffs) is what a powerplay run almost entirely by the players looks like. And it was a hell of a lot more effective than Tocchet's execuse for "fixing" the power play.

I entirely agree that Pens needed (and still need) a fresh take on the powerplay, but Tocchet's attempts at addressing the power play have been reeally bad.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Not your bro.

Quite sensitive for talking like such a tough guy.

Please give me examples of Soft teams winning championships in physical sports. I'm sure you can up with a few, but the vast majority are won by tough teams that have skill.

It's obvious you never played this sport beyond maybe some silly dek league. When your coach reprimands you for losing your cool like they did the last game agt Philly, the last thing you should be doing is taking retaliatory penalties. Anyone who has played the game in a competitive environment understands that.

Like I said, way too many people around here don't get it. You are one of them.

The Pens did what their coach wanted and this entire board has been pleading for, which is for this team to keep their composure agt. Philly.

Then we have faux tough guy posters like you babbling nonsense. It gets old.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Not your bro. Please give me examples of Soft teams winning championships in physical sports. I'm sure you can up with a few, but the vast majority are won by tough teams that have skill.

Considering "soft team" concept is a complete fabrication, what exactly is your point?

Answer this for me. Do you consider the Flyers a tough team?

Answer this for me as well. Can you name examples in yesterdays game that show the Pens as soft?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
But he didn't just touch the puck, he literally stopped 3/4 of the way to bench after that and then went to pursue the puck. Then, presumably after the entire bench screamed at him to get off, he turned back to skate to the bench.

Yeah yeah. But if it were not the Pens the call never would have been made at that point of the game, after the Pens just killed a PP in OT. It is not the same as a puck over the glass that the entire arena can see, or if you slash someone's face and he is bleeding all over the ice (though the refs nine times out of ten let that go if it is a Pens' player too).

If any other team in the league it is not called.

Ask the Pens' players. DK says to a man that they believe this to be so.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Question then for you and all others who think toughness is overvalued. Why is it then there are so many teams in the NHL that have lineups filled with grit?? Do they "just not get it" either??

Can you let me know which rosters are filled with grit? I can better answer your question if I know what you consider filled with grit. Because I imagine you cast a very wide net with that statement.

Penguinzilla*

We'll miss ya Bobby...

and Zach Sill and Arcobello remain...

Don't waive the totally useless guy who, you know, cost you the hockey game.

Why don't people like Sill? He's the only one of our worthless players that I like, at least he can fight and hit pretty hard. That penalty in OT wasn't his fault, he was still at center ice when he touched the puck.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

It's obvious you never played this sport beyond maybe some silly dek league. When your coach reprimands you for losing your cool like they did the last game agt Philly, the last thing you should be doing is taking retaliatory penalties. Anyone who has played the game in a comeptive environment understands that.

The Pens did what their coach wanted and this entire board has been pleading for, which is for this team to keep their composure agt. Philly.

And they lost.

Again, if having "tough guys" in your lineup bring no value, why do teams have guys with little skill, big size and a nasty disposition in their lineups?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

It's obvious you never played this sport beyond maybe some silly dek league. When your coach reprimands you for losing your cool like they did the last game agt Philly, the last thing you should be doing is taking retaliatory penalties. Anyone who has played the game in a comeptive environment understands that.

Serious question, but even in a meaningless game (for the Pens who despite all the gloom and doom here are obviously making he playoffs) in January?

I definately get it during the playoffs, or if you are a bubble team. And no you do not want to go psychopath as the Flyers have as one of their organizational keystones. But you turn the other cheek even in a meaningless game like this?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Good to know he'll be reprimanded with probably even more icetime, tonight.

Seriously... when it comes to this guy... why? Just.... why? What could anyone who knows even five minutes worth of hockey, much less presumably a lifetime, see in this sucking black hole of a hockey player? And then there's Adams on top of that!

This toughness stuff is hilarious. Their ****-ass powerplay lost them that game along with a healthy dose of idiocy from behind the bench. Not "failing" to sink to the Flyers level. How is this even in question?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
And they lost.

Again, if having "tough guys" in your lineup bring no value, why do teams have guys with little skill, big size and a nasty disposition in their lineups?

They lost because of their PP. Their players kept playing and didn't retaliate and even things up. They got 6 pps, including a 5 minute major.

Like I said, totally clueless.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I think some of you are just way over analyzing last nights game and this team in general.

I just don't think this team has enough good players to compete for a cup, they need a top 4 def, one or two more forwards, and a goalie that wouldn't fall apart in the playoffs.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Why don't people like Sill? He's the only one of our worthless players that I like, at least he can fight and hit pretty hard. That penalty in OT wasn't his fault, he was still at center ice when he touched the puck.

Terrible advanced stats, for one.
1 point in what? 50 games?
And him and Adams are like Glass/Adams all over again.
They simply aren't NHL hockey players or shouldn't be on a supposed "contender".

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's obvious you never played this sport beyond maybe some silly dek league. When your coach reprimands you for losing your cool like they did the last game agt Philly, the last thing you should be doing is taking retaliatory penalties. Anyone who has played the game in a competitive environment understands that.

Why is it called dek hockey? And why is it spelled that way?

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
They lost because of their PP. Their players kept playing and didn't retaliate and even things up. They got 6 pps, including a 5 minute major.

Like I said, totally clueless.

No reason to go back and forth, we obviously don't see the game the same way.

You should be the happy one though, it's quite clear to me that the Pens organization agrees with your side in this discussion. They aren't going to remake this team and they think "grit" is overvalued.

I think this will spell disaster come spring once again, but that's just my opinion.

More PP's, More Sutter, More Adams, Less fighting back. That's your formula, if it works, I will be the first on these boards to admit that I was wrong.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Serious question, but even in a meaningless game (for the Pens who despite all the gloom and doom here are obviously making he playoffs) in January?

I definately get it during the playoffs, or if you are a bubble team. And no you do not want to go psychopath as the Flyers have as one of their organizational keystones. But you turn the other cheek even in a meaningless game like this?

Your coach flat out tells you that how you played Philly the last time and lost your cool better not happen again. Then you go out there and act like a clown and retaliate and fall into their trap again? Unless you are Craig Adams, that better not happen.

MJ knows they can't keep falling into this trap and yesterday was progress. The only downside is they didn't convert on their PPs, and that is what you have to do agt thug hockey.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Why is it called dek hockey? And why is it spelled that way?

It's like ball hockey, but substitute an iceless rink with a plastic grid surface.

No reason to go back and forth, we obviously don't see the game the same way.

You should be the happy one though, it's quite clear to me that the Pens organization agrees with your side in this discussion. They aren't going to remake this team and they think "grit" is overvalued.

I think this will spell disaster come spring once again, but that's just my opinion.

More PP's, More Sutter, More Adams, Less fighting back. That's your formula, if it works, I will be the first on these boards to admit that I was wrong.

You aren't paying attention.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
And they lost.

You know, you've finally swayed me. The Pens need to trade 905 of their roster and get guys like Rinaldo and his ilk. Teams with these players obviously go far in the playoffs.

/Google search "Flyers playoffs with Rinaldo on the roster"
I'm confused why Rinaldo only has 7 playoff games to his credit.

The Flyers seem to embrace your philosophy but have considerably less success than the Penguins. Can you help explain that?

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
because no one has enough skill to complete a deke

fouad_203.jpg

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Making them pay on the powerplay would have stopped some of the goonery in the 2nd. They needed goals and they sucked it up for 5 straight minutes.

Make idiots pay and it won't happen again. If the Flyers would have been down 2-0 due to that penalty, their coach would be ripping him a new one.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Last year's power play (pre-playoffs) is what a powerplay run almost entirely by the players looks like. And it was a hell of a lot more effective than Tocchet's execuse for "fixing" the power play.

I entirely agree that Pens needed (and still need) a fresh take on the powerplay, but Tocchet's attempts at addressing the power play have been reeally bad.

Tocchet's ideas are fine. He can't make them not make stupid passes through the box. He doesn't have a better net front presence than Kunitz available to him presently. The way he's structuring this, what he's preaching and who he's using, it -should- be dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad