Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Cats - If you give a moose a muffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I hated losing Hagelin but Pearson has accorded himself nicely. Very solid and most of the time on the right side of the puck. Consistent and steady performances from him thus far.

I agree, you can definitely see the overall game that made him average 40 points a year over the past 3 years. He is 26 so no reason not to expect that type of production. I think he has shown some good things and could see him take off and produce like a 40 point player the rest of the season including playoffs.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Even if it's not this year, the fact the media is picking up on it is good news.

Sid deserves some more hardware individually after missing his prime scoring title years.
I hope he wins it this year, I really do.

For him to win a rocket, art ross, hart, smythe, and then the selke...like at that point, he should just convert to defense and win the norris and finally, his dream...be a goalie and win the vezina.

You gotta think big man, go big or go home!

Reactions: EightyOne

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Great album

Dwb_dpXWwAA3P0M

Maef Murray The Wael?

Kids these days, make no sense.

You mean Grant?
Wilson & Grant incoming...

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Whoever called Pettersson our Kjell Samuelsson was bang on. The way he plays is just damn solid and his stick game is so frustrating like Kjell used to do.

Awesome comparison. Really happy with this trade.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Great album

Dwb_dpXWwAA3P0M

Murray healthy and focused is amazing. This is the guy that won back to back Cups. He makes it look so easy. Murray reads the plays so well. This is why I said if Murray was in net we win that Blackhawks game. Nothing against DeSmith but even at his best he is no place near Murray on his game. No shame in that because I don’t think any goaltender is. 8-0 1.24 save% .963 GAA. That is just not fair.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Cullen really has been a useful player for us. I was skeptical given his age, but he's given us some offense on that 4th line, and will be a valuable asset in the playoffs as always.

Good signing by JR.

Yeah he still impresses me. To play in the NHL at his age, he was born lucky to have a durable body, but most importantly is his determination to stay in game ready shape. Not easy playing against 18 yo kids.
I played in a roller hockey league in the summer a few years back and I was in my mid late 20s and in decent shape... these 18 year kids had legs for days man..... not easy going against deterioration (age)

Reactions: Pancakes

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
The world of the interwebz wants things defined immediately. Let it play out. Kessel grabbed us 2 Cups. We can definitively say THAT deserves in the discussion of top trade ever for the Pens right up there with the ones CP pulled. We are like 20 games in or whatever. Let it alllllll play out. We will have plenty of time to define it.

Brassard sucks. Is it finally enough time to define that one?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Thing with Rust was i was worried his prior injuries had slowed him down but a week or 2 ago during an interview in game he said "i remembered i gotta get my feet moving."
He was either dinged up and healthy now or remembered what got him to the dance.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
We got a ****ing solid player, I don't know why they need these "hey guys, look look..." type of tweets about him.

I don’t think it’s anything other than really appreciating how he’s playing right now. I don’t think anyone would have forseen the impact he is having right now.

That’s not the Pens Twitter account.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Should have started Murray against the Hawks...would have won 10 in a row after tonight and finally ending that losing streak to them.

CDS has been good and got the Pens back in it, but Murray is back and the #1. CDS should be playing on a second of back to back games. Or at least not against the Hawks, a team we havent beaten in 4 years
I agree man. That is a little conspiracy going on there. Just a weird thing to have smitty in there and yuck it up like that like it was just over.
Too convenient especially given the anti-win streak.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Dumo actually came over in the Staal trade, so credit for that one goes to Shero but your point still stands. It's really hard to know which of Jimmy's moves have been the best. For me it's

1A. Daley, because Scuderi was a wreck of a corpse of a player at that point and it kick started our season that ended on top. That was a miracle and daylight robbery of a dying franchise

1B. Horny trade. I know many still love Neal but the change in attude after that one was badly needed and immediately felt. Meanwhile 72 turns into a legend in his first five years as a Pen

2. Kessel. Holy smokes, given the player and what he's accomplished here, it's insane that this isn't first every time

3. Hagelin. Because JR had big stones to undo one of his trade mistakes in Perron by "downgrading" in skill, but massively upgrading in a fit for the team

4. Schultz. One of the best cases of "buy low" I can remember

5. Bonino. Because Sutter was as vanilla as it gets and Bonino eventually gelled like no other

6. Cole. He cost us very little and served us really well

Pettersson trade has a ways to go yet but damn does it look like Jimmy hit the jackpot again.

On another note I know it's old hat to talk about what-ifs with the 2012, but good god, if Staal had netted us Dumo, the return piece for Bonino AND we had drafted Filip Forsberg (while still picking up Olli in that draft) that one would be top five in NHL history.

Edit: lousy, stinkin autocorrect

Many great ones but Kessel deal is by far the #1 trade of JR’s time hear. After that deal the Pens win the next 2 Cups and Kessel puts up almost the same amount of points as Malkin and Crosby. Also since Kessel arrival the PP is much better. PP pre-Kessel was so predictable that no team respected half the ice. Having that threat on the other side has really made a difference. We don’t win 2 Cups without that deal.

All those other trades also are great deals in themselves. Some GM’s go their whole career not making as many good deals as this. Also not many deals you could say are terrible either. Even ones we thought like Lovejoy turned out to be good. JR said he wanted a solid veteran for the playoffs and Lovejoy ended up playing top 4 minutes in that 2nd Cup of the back to backs. Everything he touches turns to gold, ha ha.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Whoever called Pettersson our Kjell Samuelsson was bang on. The way he plays is just damn solid and his stick game is so frustrating like Kjell used to do.

Awesome comparison. Really happy with this trade.
I think Pettersson has a bit more offensive acumen and upside than Kjell did, but generally speaking I agree. Still early on in the process but the signs are encouraging.

Last edited:

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Shame Cullen thought he would hang it up after one season at home... could have so really definitely used him last season.

I agree but all we needed was a healthy focused Murray on his game and we would of beat the Caps. Murray was average in that series and we still lost some nail biters including the OT game 6. If Murray is on we are a hard out.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I agree but all we needed was a healthy focused Murray on his game and we would of beat the Caps. Murray was average in that series and we still lost some nail biters including the OT game 6. If Murray is on we are a hard out.
Eh, Penguins gave up soooooooo many break aways. I don't know whether to credit the capitals or whut. I wish I had the strategic view overhead camera angle to watch these games. But sure as shit fire, Wilson tripped, the infamous cheapshot, Maata to spring the game winning goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad