Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Cats - If you give a moose a muffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I suspect a majority of the people down on Murray when he was struggling were MAF fans.

I had the Fan on a couple months ago and the one host was an admitted MAF fan, and he was going on how Murray is just an avg goalie that basically got hot twice.

People like that continue to ignore that Murray was recalled not because of some unfortunate injury, but he forced his way up through record breaking play in the A.

He was arguably the best goalie prospect in the world before his recall.

The whole got “lucky” thing is tiresome to me.

Murray was objectively pretty bad for a fairly long stretch at the start of the year so I don't mind people saying that he was bad and needed to be better.

However, in a similar point to yours I didn't understand the lack of patience. The city and organization gave Fleury years to work through some pretty awful collapses. Murray, battling injuries, got no rope at all from a large portion of the fanbase.

As long as he stats healthy I'm looking forward to seeing Murray go on another deep run. Maybe 3 Cups will buy him some goodwill.

Reactions: StaalForOne

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The last time I saw Crosby that dominant was during the 12-13 season. He’s a step above everyone now and it’s fun to watch. Like you mentioned, it’s really refreshing to see him on top of his game like that in his 30’s. After the « disappointing » season of last year, I thought we’d see the beginning of his downfall, but I was fortunately wrong

But how did he got so great again? Maybe his last playoff run gave him a boost of confidence? Or is it the unbelievable OT goal he scored against Edmonton that sent him back on track ? I don’t know but since then, he scored 48 points in 34 games.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Yah...I don't buy that the team has gotten better in front of Murray.

They're playing like the 2017 cup run. Getting outshot and outchanced almost every game.

The defense from the Forwards have been alot better and Petterson has been a huge add. But they're still giving up way way too many high end scoring chances. Murray is just stopping them. The D infront of him is still bad tbh.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yah...I don't buy that the team has gotten better in front of Murray.

They're playing like the 2017 cup run. Getting outshot and outchanced almost every game.

The defense from the Forwards have been alot better and Petterson has been a huge add. But they're still giving up way way too many high end scoring chances. Murray is just stopping them. The D infront of him is still bad tbh.

Difference is most games we are taking an early lead. Much more similar to the 15-16 team than the 17. Go look at our GF versus our GA.

Reactions: Son Goku

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd like to see stats for time spent in puck possession in each zone. I feel like we're a lot more likely to lose the puck in the opposition zone trying to create the perfect opportunity than a lot of other teams, who'll instead take a pretty hopeless shot and lose the puck that way. I don't mind getting outshot if that's what's happening and we've got a good share of actual possession.

Point in case - we're below 50% for corsi. Sounds bad. But if you break that down, we've above 50% for High and Medium Danger chances, and at 47.96 for low danger chances. That's okay, that can be a winning strategy.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
We were doing that too early in the year. We have blew many 2-0 and 3-0 leads. I think 5 or 6.

Yeah, and our goaltending was abysmal.

Our shooting percentage is still below league average and we are blowing teams out.

Since December 1st (Pettersson trade) we have the best GF% at ES. 52 GF and 33 GA. 4th most goals for and 2nd most goals against in that time frame.

Tampa is also 17th in CF. So, I wonder if CF is just becoming outdated as team’s mimic the 15-16 Penguins.

Last edited:

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
I'd like to see stats for time spent in puck possession in each zone. I feel like we're a lot more likely to lose the puck in the opposition zone trying to create the perfect opportunity than a lot of other teams, who'll instead take a pretty hopeless shot and lose the puck that way. I don't mind getting outshot if that's what's happening and we've got a good share of actual possession.

Point in case - we're below 50% for corsi. Sounds bad. But if you break that down, we've above 50% for High and Medium Danger chances, and at 47.96 for low danger chances. That's okay, that can be a winning strategy.

I doubt that information is in the public, but I'd be shocked if multiple teams don't track that. That would take a lot of man hours as you are combining zone entries and exits (Corey Sznajder/@Shutdownline) and active possession and control (which might be a bit more subjective, what is a 50/50 puck or how do you define a puck that is trapped in the wall where multiple players are digging for it). Is that posession information already tagged in the logs? I think the closest you get are takeaways and giveaways, but they don't cover all the times pucks change possession.

Reactions: Peat

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I doubt that information is in the public, but I'd be shocked if multiple teams don't track that. That would take a lot of man hours as you are combining zone entries and exits (Corey Sznajder/@Shutdownline) and active possession and control (which might be a bit more subjective, what is a 50/50 puck or how do you define a puck that is trapped in the wall where multiple players are digging for it). Is that posession information already tagged in the logs? I think the closest you get are takeaways and giveaways, but they don't cover all the times pucks change possession.

I’m pretty sure Evolving or Micah’s website has it in terms of subscriptions..

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Absolutely. I'd love to get my hands on the data they have.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Per Friedman

Second-angriest coach of the week: Florida’s Bob Boughner. During Tuesday’s 5-1 loss to Pittsburgh, the Panthers gave up shorthanded goals at 3:04 and 8:56 of the second period. Three players on the ice for both — Mike Hoffman, Jonathan Huberdeau and Keith Yandledidn’t see a shift the rest of the night. Boughner said they were “out to lunch.”

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If you think Murray is playing exactly the same now as he was at the beginning of the season, and his "better numbers" are entirely due to the team playing better, then I have no idea what to tell you.

Never said that.

Oh really?

I don't buy the Murray is back.
The team is back.

Can the team just have a squat and Murray will save the team? The team was playing so terrible, Murray was terrible, it was an onslaught.
I mean, look at the hawks game, Smitty wasn't stellar, the team yucked it up hard. So now Smitty sucks or what? Get what I'm saying here? All the Murr praise is just self aggrandizing ... 'I knew he'd be back' bull ****

The bolded seems to indicate that's exactly what you think. That it's not so much that Murray is playing much better, but that the team is.

Reactions: Patric Hornqvist

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
It's symbiotic. The team needs a couple saves. The goalie needs the team working well.

When either/or is off, it's a tough game.

Everyone looks like ****. Trade em all.

But.

When both aren't dumpster fires, it's Stanley Cup baby!

....Murray is better than early in the year. He looked like he was about to retire and crawl into a hole and die. His demeanor is back. No doubting that.
there was nothing symbiotic in Matt's performance last few games, we gave up as many shots and dangerous chances as we did when he had a bad stretch, this is all him...

Reactions: Andy99

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

I dwell on this same subject, We are playing tighter and allowing a lot of periphery shots, this is by design, Sully said just recently that thats what they track and thats how they plan.
Also this is a testimony to the greatness of our stars: Sid, geno, Phil and Letang even when they get outmatched and outcorsi, create chances that some other teams do not. just two last games malking who is generally considered washed up :laugh:, created at least dozen strong chances whether he missed or Simon missed, hit the cross bar etc...

This will work beautifully as long as Matt keeps playing like he is playing and CDS chips in some solid performances

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
with a naked eye, different lines are doing different way. For example:
Sid's line dominates time of possession, cycle hard but does not produce too many shots, than when the cycle finally breaks they are not doing good job coming back allowing for some chances and shots developing and sometimnes gets pinned down hence their Corsi lately is dropping although Sid looks AS GOOD AND DANGEROUS AND PRODUCTIVE AS EVER
On the other hand Geno's line plays very conservatively, with them there are layers in NZ (probably by design now after that line bled goals in Novemebre and good portion of december) Geno is for the most part F3 and does a lot of defensive work in and around the NZ. They play a lot of counterattacking creating a very health number of dangerous chances and shots. if you look the difference with Corsi and Fenwick, it tells you that Geno's line got rarely blocked since that don't have those full circle attacks with a lot of attempts by d-man. I like the way they are playing now and I think that is kind of geniues if this was truly by design

Third line just does not work, bleeding shots and not creating any shots and killing our Corsi numbers (not that I care)

Fourth line is Ok

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad