Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens start where they left off!! Right in the shitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It really is only one game, but I hope I don’t have to hear the training camp was so short excuse.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I want to be positive, and it’s only one game and everything, but this team hasn’t just played well in a really long time.

Yeah that's the thing. Anyone who says there isn't a trend here is being a bit dishonest, I think.

Look... I don't WANT to think Sullivan is a boner. We've gotten pretty lucky stumbling into the right "next guy up" so far. But there are also lots of Mike Johnstons out there, too.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah that's the thing. Anyone who says there isn't a trend here is being a bit dishonest, I think.

Look... I don't WANT to think Sullivan is a boner. We've gotten pretty lucky stumbling into the right "next guy up" so far. But there are also lots of Mike Johnstons out there, too.

100%. And Reirden looks awful.

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
It's one game, but i would definitely prefer Riikola in the line-up over Ceci and Matheson.

Would definitely prefer him with Marino than Matheson with marino.

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Yeah, it's only the first game of the season. But we're seeing the same problems that have been around for a while. It's not new, it's a trend.

We're gonna have to fight for a playoff spot. And I wouldn't be the least bit shocked to miss out either.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Still annoyed by Jake and Rust's effort. Jake was miserable defensively all night long--not that expectations are high in that dept. or anything, but he lost his assignment/failed to hustle on the backcheck all night long, which resulted in two goals scored for the Flyers. On top of a pretty uninspiring offensive effort, Jake was awful. Rust was too; he reminded me of the 4th line grinder version of Rust that broke into the league during our back to back runs. If you swapped his jersey with E-Rods, I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference--he looked that out of place in a scoring role.

Can't have that. Our top-6 guys need to be the best players on the ice night in and night out if we're going to do any damage. Too many question marks elsewhere in the lineup to have the guys we lean on most have disappointing showings.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
"I'm saying that he can both be a great player and ultimately not fit here. I'm simply saying that's a possibility."

I think this is ultimately the issue. Zucker has fit here already and is fine on L2. The bigger issue has been Rust reverting to regular Rust which we should've all anticipated happening.

I bet that if Sullivan went back to Guentzel-Malkin-Rust, things would start clicking again in fairly short order.

The ice time is so jacked up last night. Ceci and Matheson are effectively our second pairing.

Sullivan's right back to the reasons he lost in the playoffs last year.

Sullivan gonna Sullivan.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
A full minute more at 5v5 than any other forward lol.

Sullivan's ice time allocations actually annoy me more and more when I think about it. It's ridiculous that he'd play a replacement level player more than literally any other forward on the team.

We can focus on the effort level of the players or the overall roster to find reasons for the struggles, but when your coach is actively playing your worst players more than your best players, you're going to lose more games than you win.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Sullivan's ice time allocations actually annoy me more and more when I think about it. It's ridiculous that he'd play a replacement level player more than literally any other forward on the team.

We can focus on the effort level of the players or the overall roster to find reasons for the struggles, but when your coach is actively playing your worst players more than your best players, you're going to lose more games than you win.

Yeah it's hard enough realizing your favorite payers are past it.

It only makes it worse knowing that the damned coach is actively making things worse.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Guentzel and Dumoulin need to pick it up.

Both have done nothing since they returned from injury, and that excuse is no longer valid with all the time off they’ve had. Would go a long way towards winning with Jake playing like the star he was at the end of the 2019 calendar year, and Dumo playing like a top pairing guy again.

We lean on them more than anyone outside 87, 71, 58... and they haven’t brought it in some time (Dumo especially).

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah. Dumo's gotta be pretty impeccable defensively to make up for his lack of offensive presence. Hoping his ankle/foot injury isn't a long-term issue.

If it didn't f*** up the rest of the blueline, I'd consider running Letang-Marino if things don't improve. But then you're stuck with a mishmash of guys like Petts, Matheson, Ceci, Dumo, etc. and I'm not sure that's worth the elite top pairing you'd have with Letang-Marino.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad