Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens start where they left off!! Right in the shitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Also, Rodriques in the lineup at all is pathetic. He's not an NHL regular and yet here we are. Watching him skate on a top line with Crosby and Jake.

I don't understand why winning turns most coaches into abject morons.

The worst part isn't even Rodrigues being in the lineup or being a spot holder on the top line. The worst part is SULLIVAN GAVE HIM MORE ICE TIME THAN ANY OTHER FORWARD.

That would be like the Oilers having an injury to RNH and so they have to play their 13th forward next to McDavid and Draisaitl. But then the coaching staff takes it a step further and plays that 13th forward MORE than McDavid and Draisaitl.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
You're not even responding to what I wrote about ratings and attributes, and just repeating yourself. Talking about experience again.

Fleury had massive athleticism yes, but he also had detractors that Jarry doesn't. He was overactive and lost his positioning a lot. A lot of swimming around. He didn't have the puck handling. He didn't have Jarry's rebound control. He used to get caught trying to play the puck when he shouldn't. Had a problem staying in the net.

Sure, Fleury was a great goalie for us. I don't think he's as well-rounded as Jarry though, especially when Jarry polishes his game.

Whether Jarry can effectively use his talent from this point on is up to him.

You talk in circles, and contradict yourself.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
You're really going to have to explain further because I'm not picking up what you're throwing down. First, how do you believe Zucker is not "fitting in"? Dude has 14pts in 20GP while showing chemistry and performance with both Sid and Geno. I'm not quite sure what he's done to show he's not fitting in.

Perron was normally a 40-50pt player, then he came to the Penguins and began producing at a 35-ish pt pace and you could see a lack of chemistry with both Sid and Geno. We also wanted to get more speed into the system at the cost of a slightly higher skill set.

Zucker displays the speed and skill we desired...basically a Perron+Hagelin player. He's shown chemistry with Sid and Geno both. He's produced and provided good analytics while doing it.

I don't get the comparison? Are you suggesting we trade Zucker like we did Perron? And if so...dear lord, for who? Who provides more of what we need than Zucker?

I dunno man I think I'm being pretty clear, here. I'm not even being critical of Zucker. I like the player.

I'm saying that he can both be a great player and ultimately not fit here. I'm simply saying that's a possibility. He's shown chemistry with Sid, sure. But he isn't playing with Sid. If there is chemistry on L2 it sure isn't showing in the results.

This is more a commentary against their lineup decisions than it is against Zucker.

Lukin1978

Feb 27, 2008
The North
Yeah, it's kind of funny seeing some of the mental gymnastics from some to defend Jarry's performance considering the fact if that was Murray in nets letting in those goals, this entire PGT would be lambasting Murray for being *the biggest reason* the Pens lost last night.

The fact this PGT is about all the other issues, with Jarry's poor play kind of just being added as a secondary "and Jarry needs to be better, too" shows just how much of a whipping boy Murray became and got blamed literally every time he let in a couple of goals in a loss.
For now but it's just a matter of time until the experts on here find a new goalie crush.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Ruh kind of sucks, but at least he’s cheap I guess.

Let’s hope Matheson gets it together. I don’t have any hope for Ceci. Everyone here overlooked Matheson’s giant warts because he skates well. I believe some blamed his poor play on coach Q.

Ruhwedel and Riikola actually had very good numbers across the board together last year, and over a pretty decent sample size:

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

For the record, I've never overlooked Matheson's warts. He has potential because of his tools, but he's got an awful lot to work on. It was a huge gamble on Rutherford's part for a reclamation project in terms of per annum and contract length, and one I was never comfortable with.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I dunno man I think I'm being pretty clear, here. I'm not even being critical of Zucker. I like the player.

I'm saying that he can both be a great player and ultimately not fit here. I'm simply saying that's a possibility. He's shown chemistry with Sid, sure. But he isn't playing with Sid. If there is chemistry on L2 it sure isn't showing in the results.

This is more a commentary against their lineup decisions than it is against Zucker.

We've seen one game of Zucker this year. Prior to that we saw the bubble where he scored in 2 of the 4 games we played.

Not really sure what people are expecting from Zucker for the 1000th time.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
We've seen one game of Zucker this year. Prior to that we saw the bubble where he scored in 2 of the 4 games we played.

Not really sure what people are expecting from Zucker for the 1000th time.

I expect 1000 PPG pace.

You know what forget it. I thought I was making a pretty simple and rather non-controversial point but yeah that line is clearly tops with their like 1 point in 6 tries or whatever. They kill it in practice though.

Clearly I just despise Zucker. That's it. That was my point. He stinks. Got me.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I expect 1000 PPG pace.

You know what forget it. I thought I was making a pretty simple and rather non-controversial point but yeah that line is clearly tops with their like 1 point in 6 tries or whatever. They kill it in practice though.

Clearly I just despise Zucker. That's it. That was my point. He stinks. Got me.

The line sucks. It ain't Zucker's fault. Zucker looked better than the other two aspects of that line last night.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yeah I totally said it was Zucker's fault, too!

Man I'm just so dumb!

"I'm saying that he can both be a great player and ultimately not fit here. I'm simply saying that's a possibility."

I think this is ultimately the issue. Zucker has fit here already and is fine on L2. The bigger issue has been Rust reverting to regular Rust which we should've all anticipated happening.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The ice time is so jacked up last night. Ceci and Matheson are effectively our second pairing.

Sullivan's right back to the reasons he lost in the playoffs last year.

Having a decided project and a shit-tier defenseman on the same pairing while handing them way too many minutes is such a 2018-2021 Sullivan thing to do.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
i dunno what to take away from that dumpster fire last night. Jank looks like a really good pickup, Matheson we saw his d-warts on display, I also some some good things too. Seems like a high risk, high reward proposition. Lafferty is certainly making his case that he's an NHL'er and should remain one.
Jarry is better then what he showed in this game. I was hard on Murray but even I said that you have to give Murray 20 starts before you really draw conclusions. I think there were parts of this game where we looked really good. Trying to be positive here... Thing is we don't know what we really have until about 20 games in with the rest of the team as well. Problem is the season is a lot shorter, we are in a tough division, so every point is going to matter.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
i dunno what to take away from that dumpster fire last night. Jank looks like a really good pickup, Matheson we saw his d-warts on display, I also some some good things too. Seems like a high risk, high reward proposition. Lafferty is certainly making his case that he's an NHL'er and should remain one.
Jarry is better then what he showed in this game. I was hard on Murray but even I said that you have to give Murray 20 starts before you really draw conclusions. I think there were parts of this game where we looked really good. Trying to be positive here... Thing is we don't know what we really have until about 20 games in with the rest of the team as well. Problem is the season is a lot shorter, we are in a tough division, so every point is going to matter.

Lafferty is 100% getting scratched when Kap gets into the lineup***. Heaven forbid it be the utterly useless Rodrigues getting scratched instead, but it won't be. Because Sully.

*** Assuming the Penguins' other forwards haven't suffered any major injuries by then.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
The worst part isn't even Rodrigues being in the lineup or being a spot holder on the top line. The worst part is SULLIVAN GAVE HIM MORE ICE TIME THAN ANY OTHER FORWARD.

That would be like the Oilers having an injury to RNH and so they have to play their 13th forward next to McDavid and Draisaitl. But then the coaching staff takes it a step further and plays that 13th forward MORE than McDavid and Draisaitl.

Thats gross. I couldn't believe it until I looked it up. Wtf is with Sullivan and his love for mediocre players. I feel like he gets that from Torts.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Except for these 3 magical months with Hossa.

Man... I can't even blame Shero, there. He tried.

But yeah that was something to behold.

The best one was absolutely Dupuis.

a Prime Dupuis on this team would be fantastic.

Yeah I mean... you aren't wrong. That was probably his best RW at least over any kind of sample size. I had a ton of respect and appreciation for Dupuis but honestly that's a little bit of a shame.

Reactions: Al Smith
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad