Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Congratulations Sidney Crosby!! (1000th Game)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
After all that, the penguins are still only tied for the final playoff spot with the islanders.
Pens also have a game in hand.

Oddly enough the penguins are also tied for 3rd with the capitals (equal gp) and 2nd with the flyers, but flyers have 2 games in hand.

How does this years playoff format go?

top 4 play each other, then winner plays to be winner of their division, then play winner of other division? then stanley cup final?

I hope not. Once season is done I hope they play inter divisional games.

That would make for qualifying playoff teams to play 1 or 2 teams possibly (up to) 15 times in one year =P

sorry to disappoint you but the first two rounds of the POs are in each division...1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3 in the division and then the winners play each other before having a semi- and finals against the winners of the other divisions

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think he's just one of those guys with the tools but very limited hockey sense/offensive awareness or whatever buzzword you want to use to be a consistent top 6 player.

He'll give glimpses of being a scorer because he's got the speed, the hands, and the shot to score in bunches. But I think his vision is limited and so he doesn't really mesh well with a particular center and doesn't think the game well enough to compensate when the open ice and being able to use his speed isn't easily available to him.

Reminds me a bit of Micheal Grabner. Depending on the bounces he's getting, could score anywhere from as low as 15 goals to as high as 30 goals, but probably will do so more as a solo threat rather than because he's clicking with his center.

He has a lot of thing you want in your top six winger... speed, skating, hustle, plays in the dirty areas, great shot, can dish the puck well (when he’s feeling it)..

Yet something is missing. He’s a like a donut with a damn hole in the middle.

Hopefully he can have a Rust like arc, but until/unless he figures out the whole consistency thing, he’s going to be a ping pong ball bouncing all over the lineup.

That’s a KK problem, definitely not a Sullivan hates him problem.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think he's just one of those guys with the tools but very limited hockey sense/offensive awareness or whatever buzzword you want to use to be a consistent top 6 player.

He'll give glimpses of being a scorer because he's got the speed, the hands, and the shot to score in bunches. But I think his vision is limited and so he doesn't really mesh well with a particular center and doesn't think the game well enough to compensate when the open ice and being able to use his speed isn't easily available to him.

Reminds me a bit of Micheal Grabner. Depending on the bounces he's getting, could score anywhere from as low as 15 goals to as high as 30 goals, but probably will do so more as a solo threat rather than because he's clicking with his center.

Maybe giving him more than 11 minutes a night would help. It’s not like he’s killing us out there defensively.

He’s already getting the Sullivan treatment.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Maybe giving him more than 11 minutes a night would help. It’s not like he’s killing us out there defensively.

I'm not going to go that far. It's one game where we were trailing and Tanev/Lafferty had jump. If KK responds like he should we'll go from there. If not, he's going to struggle here. He already doesn't play the type of game that Sullivan prefers.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

His first game was under 11 mins and has been over every game since.

His ATOI is 15:19. Oh no the Sullivan treatment :laugh:

Reactions: Shady Machine

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'm not going to go that far. It's one game where we were trailing and Tanev/Lafferty had jump. If KK responds like he should we'll go from there. If not, he's going to struggle here. He already doesn't play the type of game that Sullivan prefers.

Lafferty didn’t have “jump”.

Lafferty f***ing sucks.

Why is Jankowski seeing consistent minutes if we are playing players that are contributing to wins?

Why is Zucker seeing regular usage when he’s been horrible for stretches?

Why are Malkin, Guentzel, Jankowski, Lafferty and Zucker being given time to work through their issues and Sceviour and Kapanen getting dunked on?

It’s pretty obvious this is a consistent issue at this point.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Lafferty didn’t have “jump”.

Lafferty f***ing sucks.

Why is Jankowski seeing consistent minutes?

So I am not sure what you mean here. On one hand, a player can not be top 12 caliber. I think Laff has shown a couple flashes but ultimately he has one or two gaffes that are so bad, he becomes an AHL player.

That being said, this is a PGT. Last night his jump sparked the pens as he was laying some hits and had some energy. That is not an opinion. That is for sure a fact. That doesn't mean he's an everyday player. It just means last night he definitely had some shifts that you saw the Pens build on.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
So I am not sure what you mean here. On one hand, a player can not be top 12 caliber. I think Laff has shown a couple flashes but ultimately he has one or two gaffes that are so bad, he becomes an AHL player.

That being said, this is a PGT. Last night his jump sparked the pens as he was laying some hits and had some energy. That is not an opinion. That is for sure a fact. That doesn't mean he's an everyday player. It just means last night he definitely had some shifts that you saw the Pens build on.

Really? Must’ve missed it.

I saw a team playing pedestrian as f*** then Malkin came back and a few minutes later we drew a penalty and they rallied around it.

Lafferty did f*** all in that game last night besides be a warm body on the 4th line.

Did Kapanen not nearly connect on a goal just like Lafferty or are we going to ignore that because he doesn’t run around with a chicken with his head cut off and get buried in his own zone all game?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I gave Sullivan plenty of rope on Sprong. I gave him rope on Pearson despite Pearson being solid defensively and producing tons of goals while here.

Even in 18-19 you could somewhat justify Bleuger being benched for the 4th line. Or his treatment of Riikola last year because of the contract with JJ.

At this point it’s pretty obvious Sullivan is playing favorites to detriment of our success.

At no point in any game should Lafferty be playing on the third line over Kapanen. It’s a f***ing joke.

Toss Kapanen down into a bottom six role. Play McCann, Tanev, Zucker whoever over him. But Lafferty over Kapanen is a complete f***ing joke.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Really? Must’ve missed it.

I saw a team playing pedestrian as f*** then Malkin came back and a few minutes later we drew a penalty and they rallied around it.

Lafferty did f*** all in that game last night besides be a warm body on the 4th line.

Did Kapanen not nearly connect on a goal just like Lafferty or are we going to ignore that because he doesn’t run around with a chicken with his head cut off and get buried in his own zone all game?

I wasn't comparing nor did I say anything about Kap. So I'm not sure I fully understand the response.

I am only speaking of Laff. I think him running around is a very accurate comment by you. :laugh: He did that but it really did turn the tide a little bit in a few shifts. I'm not saying he was a Brandon Tanev dominant game. He definitely started some energy. Sadly that's more than I can say about Jank who Calgary fans were pretty accurate on. Dude disappears. He has a good game and disappears. McCann is already our disappearing act when healthy.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
He’s played 11 and 12 minutes in two of the last five games. For a team that is struggling to score it’s just asinine.

Also why is he not on the PK?

He hasn’t scored a goal in 3 weeks and his xGF is 39.15% so maybe he is part of the problem of us not being able to score

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
He hasn’t scored a goal in 3 weeks and his xGF is 39.15% so maybe he is part of the problem of us not being able to score

Yeah. Lafferty and his 0 pts through 10 games and 3 pts in his last 45 is probably the solution there. You got me.

Also Lafferty has been on the ice for 2 actual goals and 6 against this season. So f*** that noise.

There is no reason Kapanen should be dropped out of the top nine. It is insanity. Trying to justify it is insanity too.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I wasn't comparing nor did I say anything about Kap. So I'm not sure I fully understand the response.

I am only speaking of Laff. I think him running around is a very accurate comment by you. :laugh: He did that but it really did turn the tide a little bit in a few shifts. I'm not saying he was a Brandon Tanev dominant game. He definitely started some energy. Sadly that's more than I can say about Jank who Calgary fans were pretty accurate on. Dude disappears. He has a good game and disappears. McCann is already our disappearing act when healthy.

I didn’t see any energy and if that’s what this team is going to focus on. We toast.

Guarantee we could call up Bellerive the next game and he’d provide the “boost” Lafferty provided last game with an actual chance of producing a point. It’s Porter, Wilson, etc all over again.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I mean, could Lafferty getting more minutes not be at the behest of Sully's new bosses? This, assuming they want the Pens to be more abrasive. He's one of the few forwards who actually hit. Could perhaps also be why Tanev fought.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Same on that first point...mostly the same on the latter.

I'm regular cut and I'm done trying others. Having Crosby-esque calves and a 32" waist means I ain't dying in the name of fashion. Or ever wearing shorts.

Anyway...felt really ****ing weird watching us get 2 points because of goaltending.

I played lacrosse and hockey for a long time on top of being 5’6”. My thighs and calves do not equal the rest of me AT ALL. Good jeans are hard to find imma do me.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad