Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Congratulations Sidney Crosby!! (1000th Game)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
I honestly don’t know what to think of certain players on this roster.

Lafferty seems like another “big body” that is supposed to be an energy line player that can throw a few hits from time to time. But his gaffes are egregious...

Erod, Sceviour, McCann, all seem to vanilla player/warm bodies that show flashes at time but are just “there” most of the time.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
@Gurglesons is spot on with his Lafferty takes.

It’s amusing that people here suddenly like this player. He’s barely a warm

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I honestly don’t know what to think of certain players on this roster.

Lafferty seems like another “big body” that is supposed to be an energy line player that can throw a few hits from time to time. But his gaffes are egregious...

Erod, Sceviour, McCann, all seem to vanilla player/warm bodies that show flashes at time but are just “there” most of the time.
''Vanilla'' is the apt term. Unfortunately we have too many such players. Hope we make a push for Bennett. He's not lighting it up in Calgary, but he's certainly not vanilla. I think he'd do well here.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

It’s amazing that people here now suddenly like this player.
It's all relative. He at least looks engaged, is a decent forechecker, good speed and will make some nice hits. Compare that to our other 4th liners and he does stand out a bit. In comparison to other players on the team, not so much.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Lol. K

Lafferty is getting more minutes because Sullivan has a hard on for him. He f***ing sucks.

Man you got really upset about this. Did lafferty kick your dog or something?

why is it so hard to say he had a good game. He had good advance stats. Got an assist on the Matheson goal. Had 4 hits and rang one off the inside post.

like you can be mad about kaps ice time without shitting all over lafferty. Ya he has sucked this year but he did play good last night.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Man you got really upset about this. Did lafferty kick your dog or something?

why is it so hard to say he had a good game. He had good advance stats. Got an assist on the Matheson goal. Had 4 hits and rang one off the inside post.

like you can be mad about kaps ice time without shitting all over lafferty. Ya he has sucked this year but he did play good last night.
I think it’s fair to mention Laff considering KK was sat for him.

I just hope Sullivan isnt going to start benching/demoting players like Kap in favor of E-Rod or Lafferty, but I’m sure he will. If he’s going to start this nonsense, then Zucker and Malkin better sit for taxi squad players too.

Last edited:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I think it’s fair to mention Laff considering KK was sat for him.

I just hope Sullivan isnt going to start benching/demoting players like Kap in favor of E-Rod or Lafferty, but I’m sure he will.
KK was an empty jersey last night. I get your point and I understand your and pixies concerns as it pertains to Sullys player usage. I have them myself. But in regards to last nights game, Lafferty at least brought some energy. KK had no pulse.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
KK was an empty jersey last night. I get your point and I understand your and pixies concerns as it pertains to Sullys player usage. I have them myself. But in regards to last nights game, Lafferty at least brought some energy. KK had no pulse.
Then sit Geno, Zucker, Jake on nights they are struggling for guys simply happy to playing at all.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Since there was a discussion on Kapanen, and I’m not saying he should have been benched, here’s a breakdown by a poster on another site did and I’ll provide it here...

“Did a little digging today.

5 v 5

Player A

GP 13
TOI 145:46
CF% 57.14
Shots for 81
Shots against 56
Goals for 7
Goals against 3
xGF% 56.09
Scoring Chances for 59
Scoring Chances against 55

3 Goals, 2 assists on the seasons, 1 PPG, +5

Player B

GP 13
TOI - 171:58
CF% - 51.43
Shots for - 71
Shots against - 76
Goals for - 10
Goals against - 5
xGF% - 44.61
Scoring chances for 70
Scoring chancces against - 84

2 goals, 5 assists on the season, +6

Player 2 is outscoring player 1 by 2 points with 26 more minutes of icetime. Player 1 has better metrics in terms of possession, scoring chances for/against, and expected goals for.

Last 2 seasons

Player A

116 games, 64 pts = 0.55 ppg
2.1 points per 60 minutes
53.58 CF%
52.18 Shots for %
50.57 xGF%

Player B

147 games, 80 pts = 0.54 ppg
1.9 points per 60 minutes
52.38 CF%
49.10 Shots for %
49.89 xGF%

Player A makes 3.4 million for two more seasons after this season with a modified NTC in the last year.
Player B makes 3.2 million for one more seasons after this season.

Player A was acquired for a player that was selected #73 overall in 2016 with 52 games NHL experience and 13 points.
Player B was acquired for a 1st round pick and a player selected #58 overall in 2018. (other smaller pieces moved both ways as well)

Player A is Andres Johnsson
Player B is Kasperi Kapanen”

Reactions: Shady Machine

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
''Vanilla'' is the apt term. Unfortunately we have too many such players. Hope we make a push for Bennett. He's not lighting it up in Calgary, but he's certainly not vanilla. I think he'd do well here.
hold it right there! what about us guy's that happen to like vanilla?:madfire:

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
What's all the Bennett love? I watched some of him then I took a look at his stats. I definitely want no part of a Dumo/Pett trade for this kinda production:
upload_2021-2-21_13-7-56.png

Basically, he could be any of our 4th line players for the last 2 years of production. We should be trying to find an Arvidsson-type not another 4th liner. He's not worth any amount of assets, don't care what pick he was initially drafted.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
He's also becoming more aggressive in playing the puck and coming out to take the angles away.

Yep, that's him playing with confidence again. All goalies, good or bad, go through that same sort of slump at some point, but the real difference between a decent starting goalie and a liability is a goalie that can will themselves out of the mental part of it, IMO.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010

It’s amusing that people here suddenly like this player. He’s barely a warm

Lafferty was playing with emotion and throwing his body around last two games. There's no reason to dump on him. The coach thought he was playing harder than Kapanen was and he made a decision. Maybe instead of making excuses for Kapanen, he can just play better next game and earn his spot on the top two lines. Playing with Crosby and Malkin isn't some casual right. Play harder.

Reactions: Darren McCord

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
What's all the Bennett love? I watched some of him then I took a look at his stats. I definitely want no part of a Dumo/Pett trade for this kinda production:
View attachment 398827

Basically, he could be any of our 4th line players for the last 2 years of production. We should be trying to find an Arvidsson-type not another 4th liner. He's not worth any amount of assets, don't care what pick he was initially drafted.

Now post a pic of his playoff numbers.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Then sit Geno, Zucker, Jake on nights they are struggling for guys simply happy to playing at all.
Geno did make that nice play on the PP. And Zucker had a big game thursday. Unfortunately not every player will be treated in the same manner.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yep, that's him playing with confidence again. All goalies, good or bad, go through that same sort of slump at some point, but the real difference between a decent starting goalie and a liability is a goalie that can will themselves out of the mental part of it, IMO.
I don't disagree. However in our current predicament we really can't afford these ''slumps'' or in a young goalies case ''growing pains''. We're a win now team. And while I don't think we'll make a lot of noise this season, we need Jarry to have his A game most nights. And to this point he's had very few. Hopefully the last few games are a springboard to the ''monster'' Jarry in net. Looking at the upcoming schedule, he'll need to be just that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Since there was a discussion on Kapanen, and I’m not saying he should have been benched, here’s a breakdown by a poster on another site did and I’ll provide it here...

“Did a little digging today.

5 v 5

Player A

GP 13
TOI 145:46
CF% 57.14
Shots for 81
Shots against 56
Goals for 7
Goals against 3
xGF% 56.09
Scoring Chances for 59
Scoring Chances against 55

3 Goals, 2 assists on the seasons, 1 PPG, +5

Player B

GP 13
TOI - 171:58
CF% - 51.43
Shots for - 71
Shots against - 76
Goals for - 10
Goals against - 5
xGF% - 44.61
Scoring chances for 70
Scoring chancces against - 84

2 goals, 5 assists on the season, +6

Player 2 is outscoring player 1 by 2 points with 26 more minutes of icetime. Player 1 has better metrics in terms of possession, scoring chances for/against, and expected goals for.

Last 2 seasons

Player A

116 games, 64 pts = 0.55 ppg
2.1 points per 60 minutes
53.58 CF%
52.18 Shots for %
50.57 xGF%

Player B

147 games, 80 pts = 0.54 ppg
1.9 points per 60 minutes
52.38 CF%
49.10 Shots for %
49.89 xGF%

Player A makes 3.4 million for two more seasons after this season with a modified NTC in the last year.
Player B makes 3.2 million for one more seasons after this season.

Player A was acquired for a player that was selected #73 overall in 2016 with 52 games NHL experience and 13 points.
Player B was acquired for a 1st round pick and a player selected #58 overall in 2018. (other smaller pieces moved both ways as well)

Player A is Andres Johnsson
Player B is Kasperi Kapanen”

Johnsson is also coming off a year + of repeated low body injuries on the same leg and is 26.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Lafferty was playing with emotion and throwing his body around last two games. There's no reason to dump on him. The coach thought he was playing harder than Kapanen was and he made a decision. Maybe instead of making excuses for Kapanen, he can just play better next game and earn his spot on the top two lines. Playing with Crosby and Malkin isn't some casual right. Play harder.

Neat. What exactly was Kapanen doing the last game that led to him stripping a puck from an Isles and setting up our first goal?

I’m glad Lafferty had an “assist” last night tho. Must’ve been cool to touch before Matheson and Bleuger connected on two individual efforts there.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Geno did make that nice play on the PP. And Zucker had a big game thursday. Unfortunately not every player will be treated in the same manner.

It's not 'unfortunate'. Geno is a 3 Cup champ and 34 year old vet who always gets his game in order. If you think a coach should treat him the same as everybody else that's not going to happen and shouldn't. It's a balancing act. Kapanen just got here and Sullivan is letting him know that wasn't good enough. It wasn't a bad play or a turnover, he just wasn't engaged and Sullivan felt it was the right move. People are getting bent out of shape over one benching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia