Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: black & gold vs. black & gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'd be pretty mad if the traded McCann tbh. He has 5 points in 7 games, which is the same as Rust and Guentzel, while offering both position flexibility and 2-way play. If he'd be playing even better right now, he's be an inarguable top-6 forward.

I'm not has low on him as some, not high on him either. I think he does offer decent trade value while allowing us to keep the only prospects we have to get D help we sorely need

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I think the big thing here is people like @Soggy Biscuit and @Pens x criticizing our roster have been proven totally wrong.

The roster is great and contributing immensely. Letang, Malkin and Crosby are losing us games.

I’ll give Letang a tiny bit of leeway considering what is happening to our D in terms of injury.

Malkin and Sid have no excuse. Malkin has two breakaways in 3v3 and Sid sets up Marino’s turnover.

Haha your boys Tanev and Jank sure disappeared. The great third line that you were bragging about after the Flyers series had to be gutted because it was so ineffective.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Haha your boys Tanev and Jank sure disappeared. The great third line that you were bragging about after the Flyers series had to be gutted because it was so ineffective.
That's not why it was gutted. They moved Tanev to try and get Geno going.

Blueger got promoted because he's been excellent so far.

That being said, I don't have long term faith in Jank. He started nice but he's just so slow and invisible a lot of the time.
He's a 4C, so that's fine. At least he's pretty responsible away from the puck.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Must suck to be so wrong all the time.
“Jankowski is a 26 year old who is a year removed from being a Bonino type center.

Rodrigues has been an analytic darling in BUF.”
-Gurgle

Ooooo @Gurglesons. I guess we both are clowns.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
If we trade McCann our bottom six will have no threats to score goals.
IMO Tanev and Blueger both are better hockey players than McCann. But they are textbook bottom6ers in my eyes and I love them so the bar is high. I´m neutral to McCann. He´s a bit "Sutterish" to me but I didn´t even hate Sutter and he is kinda his better version. Fine for a 3rd liner, I guess.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Hey, at least we got a point. I don’t think this team will figure it out well enough with Sully as the coach, but it was nice to get the point.

I was never a huge Horny fan, but it stings seeing him light it up in FL. He scored with 3 seconds left in regulation to send the game to overtime, then scored to win the game in the shootout tonight.

He and Kessel have what, 8 goals combined? I know Sully would play Horny with Blueger and McCann, so he wouldn’t have done nearly as well here, but still.

Maybe the Penguins can snag another point or two on Thursday.

Go pens

Reactions: ncm7772

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
This is how I saw it too.

People are giving Marino shit for his decision (wasn't great) but to my eyes it was Sid carelessly throwing a pass to a guy standing at the boards getting ready to get off, who was already covered.

On top of all that Zucker was out to lunch and never even made it back into the play.

Ya, Crosby has to have way more awareness than that.

He put Marino in a really rough spot.

I’d be quietly pissed off at Crosby for that shit if I was Marino.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Matt Murray sitting at 86% number in Ottawa now. We had to pick Jarry, for better or worse. Jarry did look very comfortable tonight. As long as he is fine, this team will be fine too. Very encouraging last 3 games by Jarry.

Last three games Jarry has a .917 SV%

Clearly finding his groove which is great for us. Can't fault him for his bad first 4 periods. Combination of laughable defense and no preseason to get up to speed.

Hard to be totally upset at the team right now. They are resilient and coming back in every game.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Last three games Jarry has a .917 SV%

Clearly finding his groove which is great for us. Can't fault him for his bad first 4 periods. Combination of laughable defense and no preseason to get up to speed.

Hard to be totally upset at the team right now. They are resilient and coming back in every game.
And he plays and looks even better than that. None of those goals were his fault and this team still doesn´t clear the crease ideally and it´s not easy to face some of those breakdowns. It was more of a case in Rangers games, slowly but surely our defensive game is getting better too. But let´s see what happens with these injuries now.

Reactions: Flying Dego

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm still not confident this team is any kind of legit, and I won't know either way until the playoffs. We'll make it, we might look like dogshit for the entire 56 games but we'll make it--that's what this organization does. That's not an indication of how good or bad this team truly is though, and hasn't really ever been in the Sid/Geno era. We had fantastic regular season performances, both from individuals as well as the team itself, under the Shero/Bylsma regime and they laid eggs come playoff time. We've seen the same thing under this regime.

I don't think we have the resources to make a significant trade in-season. People are kicking around the idea of going after Dunn--how do you go and land that guy without moving someone like McCann? I don't know.

This team looks totally disinterested almost all game long every single night. There's shifts here and there, but no real 60-minute effort. Geno looks like shit, and it isn't his linemates. Letang looks like shit. The already shaky blueline has been hit by a crazy rash of injury--big surprise. Glad Jarry seems to have stabilized a bit, hoping tonight was the first step toward Marino doing the same and both reach their level of last season. We're gonna need those guys.

I don't know, I don't really even care that much anymore. :laugh: I'm content to just veg out and stare idly at my screen while the team plays whatever kind of boring, uninspired hockey they're gonna play and we coast to either a 1st round exit or miss the playoffs entirely. Fire JR and Sully this off-season, let the new guys come in and decide what to do re: Geno and Letang, and whether the impending rebuild will be a full-on rebuild or an attempt to rebuild on the fly.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
To be faiiiirrrr about the 3 on 0 opportunity.... I feel like those never work out, even when I was playing inline. It's almost asking to be overpassed. I feel like the 1 on 1 breakouts we're leaving on the table are more of a concern

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Also, I thought Kasperi didn´t have a good game. But he scored that big goal and was involved in our first one too. And he is super fast. Should be much more to come, very interesting player.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Ceci also blows. Unfortunately we're down 4 guys ahead of him on the depth chart now sooooooooo

I would honestly rather see them just play Kevin Czuczman. Matheson & Riikola are on LTIR, Matheson just started skating, Petterson is just listed as "out" so not sure what that means, the boards are lonely without him being smacked up against it by every player in the league.

But if Dumoulin is out, jeez. What are we going to be looking at with this Defense? The Taxi Squad just has KC. Do they have the sack to call up Cameron Lee? Almari is more of a defensive defenseman, might be something this blueline can use with who we've seen lost but he's on loan to Finland and I doubt they bring him back for this.

POJ, Letang
Czuczman, Marino
Feces, Ruhwedel

Lol, that's almost X Gen bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad