Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: black & gold vs. black & gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Also, not necessarily a "minus" but Marino's really struggled offensively, IMO. He's not looking like the guy last year, who looked like he could also be a 30+ point guy to go along with the rest of his game. That goal in OT was a result of him fumbling with the puck and not even being able to make a simple chip ahead.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think the big thing here is people like @Soggy Biscuit and @Pens x criticizing our roster have been proven totally wrong.

Oh really? :laugh:

The roster construction and Sullivan's rancid brain are the two main reasons why this team looks as bewildered as it does.

Hornqvist for Matheson. Erod on the 1st line. No chemistry on Malkin's line. Cody Ceci. The extended joke that is the PP.

In case ya missed it, Crosby's our leading scorer in spite of Sully. Letang is Letang, no arguments there.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd be pretty mad if the traded McCann tbh. He has 5 points in 7 games, which is the same as Rust and Guentzel, while offering both position flexibility and 2-way play. If he'd be playing even better right now, he's be an inarguable top-6 forward.

I want guys like Guentzel and Zucker to be better, but the only forwards I'm "disappointed" with right now are Malkin (but he'll leave this list once he starts producing), Lafferty and Sceviour. Jankowski is also working his way onto that list, but he has produced enough so far that I think I should give him some leeway. Crosby has been a little disappointing based on the eye test, but his stat line right now is so god damn good (PPG player that's winning about 60% of his faceoffs while leading the team analytically) that I think it's just my eye test being wrong.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Oh really? :laugh:

The roster construction and Sullivan's rancid brain are the two main reasons why this team looks as bewildered as it does.

Hornqvist for Matheson. Erod on the 1st line. No chemistry on Malkin's line. Cody Ceci. The extended joke that is the PP.

In case ya missed it, Crosby's our leading scorer in spite of Sully. Letang is Letang, no arguments there.

If you think Crosby is playing well right now I’m not sure what to tell you.

Our forward depth is coming up huge to get us through Malkin and Crosby’s otherworldly piss poor defensive play to start the year.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I noticed some really strong defensive plays. Was more engaged in the o zone. Bruins ran a tight ship back there so it was hard for everyone.

Better than his last game and he’ll be better once away from Ceci.
better in some defense clean ups but his offensive instincts are shut, I just mentioned it may be just perfect for him to play with Tanger

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Czuczman-Ceci

VHCB.gif

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If you think Crosby is playing well right now I’m not sure what to tell you.

Our forward depth is coming up huge to get us through Malkin and Crosby’s otherworldly piss poor defensive play to start the year.

Crosby is weird right now. IMO he has failed the eye test for me, at least based on my expectations for him, but then you look at his stat line and you're just blown away. He's a PPG player with a 60% xGF% and nearly a 60% faceoff winning%, I don't know how much more I can reasonably expect out of him.

Coincidentally, Dumoulin has also had a really strong start analytically this year, and he has also failed the eye test for me.

Reactions: Daeni10

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
better in some defense clean ups but his offensive instincts are shut, I just mentioned it may be just perfect for him to play with Tanger

Yeah he’ll probably have too anyway. Boston play really tight so hard for a guy that is super offensive. Wasn’t always the best movement from the Pen forwards either.

Im sure that’ll all improve as the team does

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Crosby is weird right now. IMO he has failed the eye test for me, at least based on my expectations for him, but then you look at his stat line and you're just blown away. He's a PPG player with a 60% xGF% and nearly a 60% faceoff winning%, I don't know how much more I can reasonably expect out of him.

Coincidentally, Dumoulin has also had a really strong start analytically this year, and he has also failed the eye test for me.

Crosby and Malkin overall have been fine, but they are being paid to be pressure point players and that’s largely what I mean. They both aren’t contributing when we need them too. Malkin should’ve ended tonight. Crosby can’t cough the puck up in 3v3 like he did to set up the Marino turnover.

I’m not worried about either, but the biggest reason we are leaving points on the board is our stars not our roster.

That being said I’m talking to someone who complained about the powerplay all last season in Soggy who is now acting like Hornqvist being back is an immediate solution.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Crosby and Malkin overall have been fine, but they are being paid to be pressure point players and that’s largely what I mean. They both aren’t contributing when we need them too. Malkin should’ve ended tonight. Crosby can’t cough the puck up in 3v3 like he did to set up the Marino turnover.

I’m not worried about either, but the biggest reason we are leaving points on the board is our stars not our roster.

Okay yeah, I can agree with this entirely then.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Watching games around the league, everything is messed up. It seems like everything will be entirely random for at least a month.

Yeah short pre season, short season is going to produce some anomalies all year.

Signing players to longer contracts based on this year could be costly

Reactions: Gurglesons

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Signs of life but they need to play the full 60 before there’s any reason to be excited, cautiously optimistic they can put it together

Jarry looked solid, don’t put any of the goals on him exclusively

POJ needs more minutes

Lucky for POJ we have zero LD left...HE'S IT!

Dumo
Petts
Riikola
Matheson

Ruh roh...

Reactions: Gurglesons

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I imagine we are going to trade for Vince Dunn. Which uh.. I’m okay with, but he is another Matheson.

Need a body...so let's get it going..

BTW People are crapping on Marino which he's been real bad...but he's asked to play his offside and clearly uncomfortable. He's not confident right now but the skill is there.

Most on here were idiotic thinking he wouldn't run into any adversity. All young D run into issues. He needs to work through it.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'd be pretty mad if the traded McCann tbh. He has 5 points in 7 games, which is the same as Rust and Guentzel, while offering both position flexibility and 2-way play. If he'd be playing even better right now, he's be an inarguable top-6 forward.
This board has always been so hard on Canner. People cried for secondary scoring and we're getting it in spades so far. Could use another goal or two from the D though.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
He was ok. I wish he had some more speed. He definitely is ZARish. I think he was better as a net front though. The fourth line looks much slower though.

Of course he’s ZAR like. I was just sitting here hoping to hear this comparison.

So stoked.

He kinda did. Had some decent PP shifts too, better than 1st unit. What about that chess game btw, I am a national champion in this game and play it profesionally haha.

I finally had enough after 2 hrs and made some subtle moves to let her put me in a checkmate.

She’s kind of a psycho about losing at anything and would have made me keep playing until she won... so did what I had to do.

I’m immune to her taunts anyway so whatever... little turd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad