OT: Cole's OT Thread - Fly Me to Moon Township

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I've always been a beer guy, but when I switch from my standards these days, I wake up with a headache. I stick to my usuals and don't deviate very much these days.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah, man. The lack of tolerance didn't hit me til a bit later but I can't even do 6 good quality beers anymore without risking getting turbo drunk and waking up with the worst kind of hangover you could ever imagine. Hell... if I start drinking earlier in the day like at a party or BBQ... there's a very good chance that I'll get horrifically hungover the same damned night. Oddly enough, drinking expensive liquor yields better results. But beer... man... it's a shame too because I love a good beer.

So that's why I've switched to huffing the **** out of spray paint, ya'll. Gold gets you the most bang for your buck. Twist ya up real good. Glamorous, too!

Guys?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I tend to not drink as much beer anymore, with my allergies, the gluten free beer available is usually pretty bad and the good ones are scarcely available here and are marked way the hell up. Most scotches I can drink apparently, vodka (Tito's, etc) as well.

Which is fine by me. I love scotch.

Right now, I am enjoying a bottle of Macallan 12yr, my brother swears the Amber is better, but I just have not found it to be true, we did a taste test side by side and I could tell by the look on his face that I was right but he would never admit it.

My friend at a local Scotch place told me they finally had a bottle of Macallan Fine Oak 21-Year-Old Highland Single Malt, $950 was the price he quoted me. One of those, get, store away, and wait for a special occasion ones, I have another Macallan, the Sherry Oak 25 Years Old Highland Single, that one cost me $1,800 before tax, my gf thinks I'm weird but says it's fine because as she put it "It's your money and you make enough to buy useless stuff like this."

Apparently I am never allowed to comment on her shoe spending of which some of my funds are often used for.

She did surprise me, usually we get box seats (except for last year, the box seats weren't available) for the Penguins game once a year since we've been here, I hate box seats but she likes it because there's a ton of space and easy to relax while I like to sit with people and talk to them, a lot of Canucks fans ask me questions and I like answering them, last time we went, some guy was like that Guentzel guy is like high on your prospect list right? My gf kept nudging me to be quiet but they were like no no we're asking him!

So this time we got good seats, smack in the middle, high up to see both ends clearly...I can't wait to attend that and this time, I'll be rocking my #59 jersey.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
You just have to go to the right places to spend a bunch of money. South Side? You're down $40 at least. Oakland? You can get 2 pitchers of Miller Lite (4 beers a pitcher) for $10.

I think she's calling yinz a bunch of light weights ...

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I know she was :laugh:

Even being lightweights, you can still spend a bunch of money drinking in certain areas in Pittsburgh.

Even cheap bars usually have at least one bottle of something good. And Miller Lite ... that makes me think of that old joke about why American beer is like making love in a canoe :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I hate Miller Lite, but $5 for 4 beers at a bar is a steal, regardless of how bad the beer is. A lot of bars have pitcher deals like that with cheap beer, whether it be Miller, Bud, Yuengling or Coors.

I just miss the beer I drank a ton of in Berlin, Astra Rotlicht. It was the "cheap beer" my hostel had (2.90 euros a bottle IIRC) and I actually enjoyed the taste of it. Too bad you probably can't bring a case of that on a plane back to the States :laugh:

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Thankfully when I was in my drinking every night phase, my two friend and I frequented the same bar and made friends with two of the bartenders who only charged us for food and 1 out of every 3 or 4 drinks and to top it off whenever they had anything extra from a round of shots, they would give the extra to someone and tell them they were from us and we'd end up getting more free shots.

We also had three seats at the end of the bar near a TV roped off for us for hockey games. It was a good time.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Thankfully when I was in my drinking every night phase, my two friend and I frequented the same bar and made friends with two of the bartenders who only charged us for food and 1 out of every 3 or 4 drinks and to top it off whenever they had anything extra from a round of shots, they would give the extra to someone and tell them they were from us and we'd end up getting more free shots.

We also had three seats at the end of the bar near a TV roped off for us for hockey games. It was a good time.

This seems like such a weird concept to me, and I'm a college senior right now. Like I know some people drink every night in college, I just don't know how they can do that. I feel like a piece of **** when I drink 3 nights a week :laugh:

That probably means I'm not an alcoholic, so that's always a positive I guess.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
As long as I'm still living in Pittsburgh, I'd be up for grabbing drinks.

Did bar trivia last night. One of the questions was "Who was the author of Lolita?" I'm so disappointed that I couldn't remember. I knew the author was Russian, the name ended in "kov", and was a hockey player name. :laugh:

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal

Did bar trivia last night. One of the questions was "Who was the author of Lolita?" I'm so disappointed that I couldn't remember. I knew the author was Russian, the name ended in "kov", and was a hockey player name. :laugh:

If you are in town Nov 21-28 I will gladly buy you a beer :cheers:

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh

Those 2 clues were really not enough to come up with it? Haha that's a pretty short list

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Those 2 clues were really not enough to come up with it? Haha that's a pretty short list

My very first teaching assignment was teaching that damn novel to a class of giggling undergrads. Pale Fire is the best Nabokov novel.

True fact: Nabokov wrote Lolita entirely in English, so any Russian version of it is a translation of the English original.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

What trivia do you do? I used to go to OTB in Southside every monday for Radical Trivia. It's by far the most fun trivia I've ever done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad