OT: Cole's OT Thread - Fly Me to Moon Township

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'd rather see ambitious trash than a mediocre success, honestly. I teach at a film school so I get enough of the later and not enough of the former, sadly.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
Wait, your film school students don't make garbage films with ambition? My mental image of the stereotypical film school project can be easily summed up by the phrase "ambitious trash."

Anyway, Hollywood movies are garbage because the writing is garbage. All the good writing is on the TV side now. I don't know if that's because of ambition or not, but I can imagine a scenario where it is. There's probably less risk in making something different when there are 1000 channels. It's probably easier to find a buyer who is marketing to the same niche audience that you're writing for.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Wait, your film school students don't make garbage films with ambition? My mental image of the stereotypical film school project can be easily summed up by the phrase "ambitious trash."

Anyway, Hollywood movies are garbage because the writing is garbage. All the good writing is on the TV side now. I don't know if that's because of ambition or not, but I can imagine a scenario where it is. There's probably less risk in making something different when there are 1000 channels. It's probably easier to find a buyer who is marketing to the same niche audience that you're writing for.

There's a lot of plagiarism and pretension, but real ambition... that's not something that comes up a lot. :laugh:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
How does one tell the difference between pretension and ambition in a film?

Self-awareness helps, but mostly it's about originality and skill, I guess. :laugh: Ambition is more original, more concerned with making a new experience for a wider audience. Pretension is more self-indulgent and more often concerned with just an established audience (film school students, film festivals, etc.).

I guess I'd rather see a film fail in an ambitious way than see a film try to play it safe in whatever genre or niche and **** that up. :laugh:

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Since this is the OT thread, is there a way to stay logged on to HF? The site logs me off every 10 minutes and it's starting to drive me nutty. :help:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Since this is the OT thread, is there a way to stay logged on to HF? The site logs me off every 10 minutes and it's starting to drive me nutty. :help:

Close the HF tabs once you're done with them. I've had the same issue. If there aren't any HF tabs open then I stay logged in.

Do you click the keep my logged on box? Because otherwise it logs off every few minutes pretty much whenever you need to refresh.

I have the same issue and I have that box checked.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Close the HF tabs once you're done with them. I've had the same issue. If there aren't any HF tabs open then I stay logged in.

Oh interesting... never mind then. I get logged off immediately with the box unchecked but stay logged on for months on my phone/iPad/computer if I leave it checked even if I never close it.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

If you have the 'Keep Me Logged In' box checked, check your cookie settings. If you have it set to 'Allow local data to be set (recommended)' you shouldn't have any problems. If you've chosen another setting you'll need to create an exception.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005

If you have the 'Keep Me Logged In' box checked, check your cookie settings. If you have it set to 'Allow local data to be set (recommended)' you shouldn't have any problems. If you've chosen another setting you'll need to create an exception.

Thanks, I'll give this stuff a try and screw with my add on's.

I've actually never been able to find a 'Keep Me Logged In' box, and the only thing that shows at log in is the 'Remember Me' box.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Thanks, I'll give this stuff a try and screw with my add on's.

I've actually never been able to find a 'Keep Me Logged In' box, and the only thing that shows at log in is the 'Remember Me' box.

'Remember Me' is the one ... my bad with the naming convention :laugh:

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
iPhone users, help please

Is there a way (besides the mute switch on the side/Do not Disturb) to stop a notification (text/mail etc) from causing the music/radio to drop in sound? I find it so ****ing annoying and highly ridiculous that in this day and age that Apple have not given us this option.

Are there any Apps out there that can help?

Thanks

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
iPhone users, help please

Is there a way (besides the mute switch on the side/Do not Disturb) to stop a notification (text/mail etc) from causing the music/radio to drop in sound? I find it so ****ing annoying and highly ridiculous that in this day and age that Apple have not given us this option.

Are there any Apps out there that can help?

Thanks

Go to your notifications in settings and turn off the notifications. Or if you are listening to the radio, pull up your menu from the bottom and hit "Do Not Disturb Mode" and you'll be fine.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
Go to your notifications in settings and turn off the notifications. Or if you are listening to the radio, pull up your menu from the bottom and hit "Do Not Disturb Mode" and you'll be fine.

She specifically said she's looking for an alternative solution to the one you provided. One like "Mute notifications while listening to music"

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
So no more Log Jammer. I hope the rumors are true and Kennywood gets the custom RMC like Outlaw Run or Lightning Rod. A top three coaster set of the Phantom, an RMC, and the Thunderbolt is pretty world class.

An RMC would be a dream come true, but we'll see.

The reaction about the Log Jammer being removed is the most Yinzer thing to me, though they should have announced it much sooner to give people a last chance to ride it. It's a 42 year-old log flume...on it's own it's not a special ride in any sense. It's better than many log flumes I've ridden, but it's also molten ass compared to others, takes up a ton of space, and is at the stage of it's life where you either need to re-build it entirely or move on. Moving on is obvious, especially if it's for a much-needed new coaster. Kennywood's legacy is built on preserving unique, old rides...the Log Jammer wasn't a first of it's kind and it's sure as **** not a unique ride...people getting mad at change for the sake of having something to be mad about.

Gravity Falls was one of the most enjoyable binges I've ever watched.

original.gif

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It is just so **** to have to either mute or put on DnotD, I sometimes forget to reverse and miss stuff on my phone.

My android phones would do the same if I had head phones on, it'd ding or fade out a bit to let me know I got a message and I didn't want that crap. But at least with the DND mode, I can just listen to music at the gym and never be bothered, but even then I don't even put that on sometimes and my phone ignores messages if I am on mute (which I am like 99.9% of the time anyway).

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I went from Dan Harmon-level functional alcoholic to getting absurd hangovers after half a beer within the span of about a month after turning 29.

Not cool, concept of aging.

28 years old, my alcohol tolerance went to ****. I now get super tired, and if I do put in a session, I have to take that 2nd day to recuperate.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I honestly hadn't noticed a difference in my tolerance or hangers even up to 31 and while drooping about 50 lbs. About 2 months ago I even went to a full-day bachelor party and everything seemed about standard. And then I started doing a keto diet. It's maybe a month after that bachelor party and wedding where I drank like crazy. So I drank my normal amount for a standard "drinking while I play video games" night, which means I'm kind of tipsy but not really drunk. Well this time I blacked out on my couch (I have no idea when I stopped playing Rocket League with some buddies online) and have never had a worse hangover in my entire life. Holy ****.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I drank 5 beers last night when doing homework and I woke up with a ridiculous hangover. I don't know what changed, my tolerance and hangovers are completely inconsistent when drinking.

It also depends on what I'm drinking. I use water as a chaser for liquor, which really helps with hangovers. I don't either get that drunk or hungover with shots, I can rip 8 shots in a night and still feel okay. With beer, I can start feeling tipsy after 2 depending on the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad