Bruins Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 25, 2016
I want the Bruins to beat Toronto in game 7, but this nagging issue of fragile hearts and disoriented focus has plagued the Bruins since before 2011. First up, is the 2010 Bruins' stunning flameout to Philly in 7 games.

Then, if Tim Thomas Vezina's Trophy- Conn Smythe 2011 season, and a game 7 miraculous OT save in the first round against Montreal, had it not been achieved, the Bruins would have been sent home.

The 2019 Stanley Cup loss in what was the easiest path to another cup the Bruins had ever seen in modern times.

Last year's cringe-worthy collapse against the Panthers.

Too much of the Bruins's philosophy relies on waiting for the other team to lose. Is it a lack of a collection of talent, of killer instinct, or a sense of urgency?

So, no matter what comes next in this season's playoffs, based on this series repeating the same trend of weaknesses, who comes and who goes next year based on playoff performances? Getting into the playoffs and having a great regular season isn't enough if key players don't perform when it matters the most.

1. Should Brad Marchand be traded in his final year for value?
  2. Does Debrusk get resigned to a long and generous salary package?
  3. Is it time to move on from Carlo and Lindholm?
  4. Do Coyle and Zacha still make sense as centers?
  5. What to do with Shattenkirk and Grzelcyk?
  6. Does Pastrnak need better linemates to be most effective? Who would that be based on trades and free agents?
So, in my opinion, the Bruins need better and more consistent talent but also more grit and a championship heart.

Thoughts?

Reactions: BMC

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
  1. If they can get a home run return for him, I'd move him. But I wouldn't trade him just to trade him. He's still very valuable.
  2. He gets re-signed but I don't think he gets what he and his agent think he'll get. I'd let him walk as he's replaceable and not someone you build around, but he's Sweeney's binky.
  3. They might be tough to move.
  4. Oh, absolutely. I'd still keep them. Zacha is terrific value for his contact and he's still fairly young.
  5. I'd let them both walk.
  6. I'd go hard after Reinhart and Guentzel this summer.

Reactions: Comedy of Errors

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Id trade Lindholm while he still has value. His play and decision making becomes very questionable in the playoffs and he seems to be losing a step. Lohrei + someone new as your new top 4 D. Maybe Zadorov-Carlo can work well together

Babajingo

In order to rebuild, you'll need to be horrible for a few years.
They don't have the prospects, draft picks and their cap space isn't great.

I would trade/dump/not-resign anyone other than Swayman, Lohrei, Poitros, McAvoy and Carlo.
This will keep the defense sound and start re-drafting well.

PIpe dream. No way Mr Burns does this.

He'll keep the Front Office and they will keep placating him with teams that will get him 1 round of playoff gate/concessions.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
In order to rebuild, you'll need to be horrible for a few years.
They don't have the prospects, draft picks and their cap space isn't great.

I would trade/dump/not-resign anyone other than Swayman, Lohrei, Poitros, McAvoy and Carlo.
This will keep the defense sound and start re-drafting well.

PIpe dream. No way Mr Burns does this.

He'll keep the Front Office and they will keep placating him with teams that will get him 1 round of playoff gate/concessions.
If you're going through a rebuild you dream of MAYBE getting a player of Pastas caliber and that's if you're lucky. You don't trade him even if you're unhappy with his playoff performances

Feb 25, 2016
Neely said Boston fan base wouldn't except a team that performs at the bottom of the league to gain better draft picks. Are Chicago fans less ardent about their team than Bruins fans?

Thus the nature of a rebuild.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Neely said Boston fan base wouldn't except a team that performs at the bottom of the league to gain better draft picks. Are Chicago fans less ardent about their team than Bruins fans?

Bruins are caught in between.If you want a collapse and build through draft you have to accept players you have in prime will lose best years and you may as well trade them.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I agree except for Swayman.
I prefer to keep him, sure. But I wouldn't hang up the phone at the mention of his name, and I'm not holding out for a king's random on anybody either. Mind you, I have no idea what the value on anybody would actually be, I'm just not attached to anyone on this team

Reactions: MoffatMan

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I want the Bruins to beat Toronto in game 7, but this nagging issue of fragile hearts and disoriented focus has plagued the Bruins since before 2011. First up, is the 2010 Bruins' stunning flameout to Philly in 7 games.

Then, if Tim Thomas Vezina's Trophy- Conn Smythe 2011 season, and a game 7 miraculous OT save in the first round against Montreal, had it not been achieved, the Bruins would have been sent home.

The 2019 Stanley Cup loss in what was the easiest path to another cup the Bruins had ever seen in modern times.

Last year's cringe-worthy collapse against the Panthers.

Too much of the Bruins's philosophy relies on waiting for the other team to lose. Is it a lack of a collection of talent, of killer instinct, or a sense of urgency?

So, no matter what comes next in this season's playoffs, based on this series repeating the same trend of weaknesses, who comes and who goes next year based on playoff performances? Getting into the playoffs and having a great regular season isn't enough if key players don't perform when it matters the most.

1. Should Brad Marchand be traded in his final year for value?
  2. Does Debrusk get resigned to a long and generous salary package?
  3. Is it time to move on from Carlo and Lindholm?
  4. Do Coyle and Zacha still make sense as centers?
  5. What to do with Shattenkirk and Grzelcyk?
  6. Does Pastrnak need better linemates to be most effective? Who would that be based on trades and free agents?
So, in my opinion, the Bruins need better and more consistent talent but also more grit and a championship heart.

Thoughts?
1. Keep Marchand. He'll probably not fetch a young, promising player anyway.
2. DeBrusk gets re-signed for around $5.5m per.
3. I definitely keep Carlo. Unsure about Lindholm.
4. Keep both Zacha and Coyle. Pretty clearly not top line centers but will have to do until we find someone better. I like Poitras, really, but hoping he becomes a legit #1 is asking a lot.
5. Grzelcyk I think is gone. Shattenkirk may stay is my guess.
6. I do think Pasta would do better with better linemates, but who wouldn't? I don't know who that would be.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
• Should Brad Marchand be traded in his final year for value?
As with any player it all depends on the return. That return would have to be something I simply cannot walk away from.
Brad has earned the opportunity to retire a Bruin, it just means if his play diminishes he won't be expected to carry top six minutes nightly.

• Does Debrusk get resigned to a long and generous salary package?
All depends on the money... same contract again, sure. But If he wants top six minutes he will have to earn it.

• Is it time to move on from Carlo and Lindholm?
Carlo, someone would have to over pay for. His contract is very fair for what he brings. The only thing missing from his game is a physical nastiness and temper. Otherwise, he is a very good shutdown defenseman.
Lindholm ... I would listen to offers, this off season and going forward. If something is going to improve the team by moving Lindholm I would consider it. But I'm not going to move him just for the sake of moving him.

• Do Coyle and Zacha still make sense as centers?
Coyle is a fine 3rd line center, Zacha a serviceable 2nd line center; neither are 1st line centers. The regular season is a different world from playoffs ... you can 'get by' with them as top centers, but playoffs are all about match ups and adjustments. They are being asked to play above their level of effectiveness.

• What to do with Shattenkirk and Grzelcyk?
All depends on who is ready from prospects and who may be available through trade or FA. Contact and dollars matter too. They are subject to replacements.

• Does Pastrnak need better linemates to be most effective? Who would that be based on trades and free agents?
Hell, haven't we said that about DeBrusk? Without a true play making center Pastrnak is playing with a handicap. He is a snipper and needs someone who can draw the opponents away from him who has vision awareness and foresight to anticipate where he will slip into an open space and pass the puck onto the tape of his stick as he does.

I think there's a possibility a reason for a tendency for the Bruins to play a passive not overly aggressive game in the playoffs goes back to when they beat the Canadians in the '80s in the playoffs. It was said that they were talking about being disciplined and not taking retaliatory penalties at that time. That may have morphed into this non-aggressive behavior in the playoffs as time has transpired. This team does not have a young Lucci or Sean Thornton to intimidate opponents and keep order . This team is built for transition and entry zone break-ins not for a grinding physical knock-them-down playoff style game.

Babajingo

If you're going through a rebuild you dream of MAYBE getting a player of Pastas caliber and that's if you're lucky. You don't trade him even if you're unhappy with his playoff performances
To me, Pasta is the dividing line. If you keep him, you don't go full rebuild. Try to re-tool or something. I love Pasta, not only his skill but his personality. If you rebuild with he being the only offensive talent for a year or two, is it worth it? I'm probably wrong.

Midship

Jan 7, 2016

Total cop out by Neely. The miser Jacobs is who would be unable to accept a rebuild and Neely's job would be donezo as a result. Just covering his own ass as usual.

Reactions: Babajingo

Babajingo

Chicago fans will be happy as a pig in crap, in a few years. Bruins fans will still be btching about a first round exit.

Sad part is that PITT and TB and probably WASH will rebuild. They know how it works.
Unfortunately, we have an owner that won't accept it. And the FO is just his pawns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad