Cole's OT BBQ! Burgers and house music coming up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Jesse was most definitely too broken to expect logical and calm decision-making. I was thoroughly impressed by the show making a character like Jesse Pinkman relatable, considering how many Pinkmans I've met and despised in reality. Aaron Paul has oddly been able to turn 2 characters I absolutely should hate into two of my favorite characters of the past dozen years or so (Todd Chavez went from obvious joke on dumb sitcom tropes with awkward line readings to arguably the 'best' character in BoJack Horseman).

I still can't believe I haven't made myself watch Better Call Saul. Breaking Bad is possibly the only drama I've seen every episode of (that lasted longer than 1 season), but by the end of it I get so emotionally exhausted that I can't just move right into BCS...and then when I remember how exhausting BB was I keep putting off watching BCS.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Jesse was most definitely too broken to expect logical and calm decision-making. I was thoroughly impressed by the show making a character like Jesse Pinkman relatable, considering how many Pinkmans I've met and despised in reality. Aaron Paul has oddly been able to turn 2 characters I absolutely should hate into two of my favorite characters of the past dozen years or so (Todd Chavez went from obvious joke on dumb sitcom tropes with awkward line readings to arguably the 'best' character in BoJack Horseman).

I still can't believe I haven't made myself watch Better Call Saul. Breaking Bad is possibly the only drama I've seen every episode of (that lasted longer than 1 season), but by the end of it I get so emotionally exhausted that I can't just move right into BCS...and then when I remember how exhausting BB was I keep putting off watching BCS.
Yeah I'm glad I've mostly kept up with it. I think both are better shows with a break between episodes vs bingeing them.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think I like the best parts of breaking bad more than BCS, but I think it had more stuff that I didn't really like about it too. Just less consistent overall. Things like the robo-machine gun really didn't do it for me.

I'd say BB is still in my top 5 (probably 3 without miniseries), but it's not my number 1.
What is your number one?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Yeah I'm glad I've mostly kept up with it. I think both are better shows with a break between episodes vs bingeing them.

Yeah...I've made my way through BB twice and in both cases I went start to finish within 6 weeks. My second time through it a couple years ago pretty much killed my ability to binge any show now, despite only watching it that second time so I had a refreshed for BCS after a few years off (BCS was in season 3 before I even thought of watching a second episode...I did watch the pilot when it aired and enjoyed it, I just couldn't keep it up).

I've never been more removed from pop culture as I am now. 90% of TV is being made to binge and my attention span just doesn't allow for that. I actually miss appointment viewing, and trying to force yourself to watch shows like that is a practice in self-control and my self-control is currently too preoccupied to be bothered.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
What is your number one?
The Wire for longer series. Band of Brothers if miniseries count. I'm not sure how to classify something like True Detective or Fargo where each season is basically its own miniseries. But I think the first season of True Detective and the first two Fargo seasons are better than BB as well. The Americans is very close as well, but probably right after BB on my list.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah...I've made my way through BB twice and in both cases I went start to finish within 6 weeks. My second time through it a couple years ago pretty much killed my ability to binge any show now, despite only watching it that second time so I had a refreshed for BCS after a few years off (BCS was in season 3 before I even thought of watching a second episode...I did watch the pilot when it aired and enjoyed it, I just couldn't keep it up).

I've never been more removed from pop culture as I am now. 90% of TV is being made to binge and my attention span just doesn't allow for that. I actually miss appointment viewing, and trying to force yourself to watch shows like that is a practice in self-control and my self-control is currently too preoccupied to be bothered.
Yeah I have a really hard time getting in to older shows that I know are long. I don't have a problem with binge watching, but I still prefer it to just be a season at a time.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Wife tried to get me to watch forever, but I never watched BB until season 5, after I'd moved to Australia. Wife was out of the country, and flipping channels I happened upon a first run showing of the episode where they steal the liquid from the train and Todd kills the kid. I was like 'holy ****, this is great'. Binge watched the first four seasons and episodes of season 5 that had shown to be up to date. Well worth having to deal with wife's 'I told you to watch this for years you ****hole' look when I joined her to watch the next first run episode. :D

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Wife tried to get me to watch forever, but I never watched BB until season 5, after I'd moved to Australia. Wife was out of the country, and flipping channels I happened upon a first run showing of the episode where they steal the liquid from the train and Todd kills the kid. I was like 'holy ****, this is great'. Binge watched the first four seasons and episodes of season 5 that had shown to be up to date. Well worth having to deal with wife's 'I told you to watch this for years you ****hole' look when I joined her to watch the next first run episode. :D

The first episode I watched at the same time that it aired was the final episode, so I hear ya :laugh:

I didn't start watching it until the run up to the finale. I wasn't expecting to actually catch up by the end, but I did.

The result of that is that I now skip a bunch of shows until they have enough episodes to 'binge' and then I get overwhelmed with how many episodes I'm behind and just never finish it. I've still never finished Parks & Rec or 30 Rock. :laugh:

Reactions: KIRK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Well, look at not watching BCS this way, you didn't have to wait YEARS to see little bits of the current life of Saul... man that drove me nuts years ago when BB was still freshly concluded and I waanted more of the BB world.

Now you can watch almost the entire series straight through.

What is there, one season left of BCS and it's finished?

---

Also, the post BB movie was pretty damn good. If not at least to get back into that BB world.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
So I found a nigh perfect sauce t'other day in Lingham's Ginger Garlic Chilli sauce. It's great but it makes me sad I won't be able to find it in the States (at least, not easily).

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The Shield is my favorite TV drama.

Eastbound and Down is my favorite comedy.
The Shield is one on my list I need to watch along with The Sopranos. Both seem to be at or near the top of most these sort of lists.

Favorite comedy is tough. For sitcoms, any of Seinfeld, Always Sunny, Arrested Development, Scrubs, The Office, Parks and Rec, or Malcolm in the Middle could take it. I really don't think any of those is definitively "better" than the others. Hell, throw Veep in there too.

For animated, The Simpsons, Frisky Dingo, or Futurama are all great and honestly right up there with those sitcoms.

And then Monty Python Flying Circus is just pure lunacy but maybe the funniest of all. And I'm sure I'm forgetting some things.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The Shield is one on my list I need to watch along with The Sopranos. Both seem to be at or near the top of most these sort of lists.

Favorite comedy is tough. For sitcoms, any of Seinfeld, Always Sunny, Arrested Development, Scrubs, or Malcolm in the Middle could take it. For animated, The Simpsons, Frisky Dingo, or Futurama are all great and honestly right up there with those sitcoms. And then Monty Python Flying Circus is just pure lunacy but maybe the funniest of all.

The Shield is like the outrageous tension of Breaking Bad with the political commentary of The Wire.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The Shield is like the outrageous tension of Breaking Bad with the political commentary of The Wire.
there's just too much media out there.

The Sheild is strange for me just because I don't think I've ever heard anybody in real life talk about it at all, I just hear great things from the internet.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
there's just too much media out there.

The Sheild is strange for me just because I don't think I've ever heard anybody in real life talk about it at all, I just hear great things from the internet.

It’s one of those shows that was popular before the internet really took hold I think. At the time it got a ton of press.

The first episode sets the show up better than any other show I have seen. Finale is the most punishing finale ever as well.

It also to my knowledge has never been on a streaming service.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It’s one of those shows that was popular before the internet really took hold I think. At the time it got a ton of press.

The first episode sets the show up better than any other show I have seen. Finale is the most punishing finale ever as well.

It also to my knowledge has never been on a streaming service.
It's actually on Hulu apparently, so I may go for it.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The Shield is my favorite TV drama.

Eastbound and Down is my favorite comedy.
After I asked I realized I can't really come up with a show that I would consider number one.

Like I loved The Wire, Luther, Mr Robot, Dark, First two seasons of original Magnum PI, Breaking Bad, etc.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The Wire for longer series. Band of Brothers if miniseries count. I'm not sure how to classify something like True Detective or Fargo where each season is basically its own miniseries. But I think the first season of True Detective and the first two Fargo seasons are better than BB as well. The Americans is very close as well, but probably right after BB on my list.
The Americans is another I'm a huge fan of as well as the first and third of True Detective...Fargo I loved the first two, third season wasn't my jam.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
After I asked I realized I can't really come up with a show that I would consider number one.

Like I loved The Wire, Luther, Mr Robot, Dark, First two seasons of original Magnum PI, Breaking Bad, etc.
Like if I ask really nicely and respectfully, will you explain Dark to me? I'm about five episodes out from wrapping it up. It is pretty mind-bending for sure.

My top for in no particular order, no big surprises...
The Wire
The Sopranos
Game of Thrones (even with the shit final season)
Breaking Bad

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Omar is one of the greatest television characters ever on one of the greatest shows ever.

The main reason I struggled to make it through Breaking Bad was because I couldn't stand Walter or Jesse. I realize I'm in the minority here.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Like if I ask really nicely and respectfully, will you explain Dark to me? I'm about five episodes out from wrapping it up. It is pretty mind-bending for sure.

My top for in no particular order, no big surprises...
The Wire
The Sopranos
Game of Thrones (even with the shit final season)
Breaking Bad
Haha mate just keep watching. It's so good at sucking you in and getting you so involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad