OT: Cole's OT Bar: Now serving aviations and rain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
It's funny with the whole admissions thing because in the US it's nuts. It's so corrupt and maybe now they will take a very hard look at it.

Here UBC is pretty shady. They make it much easier for international students to get in since they pay $37k a year in tuition compared to $5k for locals per year. They make the grade cutoffs really hard (in the 90%+ range) for locals but for international students it can be as low as 67%.

Reactions: EightyOne

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Here UBC is pretty shady. They make it much easier for international students to get in since they pay $37k a year in tuition compared to $5k for locals per year. They make the grade cutoffs really hard (in the 90%+ range) for locals but for international students it can be as low as 67%.
Damn, Canada is corrupt as hell too. Well obviously but yeah that's some shady crap and sucky for the local folks.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
This is bad, but there were even crazier things that were openly done at U of Chicago when I was there, under the guise of donations or funding chairs. The slight saving grace to it is a few of the nepotism kids that came in when I was an undergrad were run out of the university on a rail because they couldn't hack the classes. It's a borderline abusive school, and professors (at least in my undergrad and grad career) didn't have any hesitation about making it clear if a student was not fit to be at Chicago, academically or intellectually.

One of the good things about the way the Czechs do university education is that, since it's all free, the only thing that really matters is your entrance exams, which have to be conducted in person, face-to-face with most of the faculty present. There's no way to fake a test or to have someone else write the application.

I will say too, that having to deal with American parents and alumni is making me and my American cohort-mates think seriously about having to work in the American university system. Parents are the absolute worst, worse even than entitled and spoiled students.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I will say too, that having to deal with American parents and alumni is making me and my American cohort-mates think seriously about having to work in the American university system. Parents are the absolute worst, worse even than entitled and spoiled students.

Insofar as I can tell, there is zero reason for any educator to work in the US unless they either really like it there, or are only in it for the research and need that funding.

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
If administrators are in it for the money, students are in it for the “experience”, and professors are in it for research/money/indoctrination, is there anywhere in the university system where anyone actually cares about education?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
If administrators are in it for the money, students are in it for the “experience”, and professors are in it for research/money/indoctrination, is there anywhere in the university system where anyone actually cares about education?

Most professors. We take our jobs very seriously, especially if we're talking about my side of it, which is younger. And indoctrination really doesn't apply for anyone, regardless of which side of the isle you're on. If you want that sort of thing, you join a think tank. I took classes with some of the biggest names in conservative thought even though I'm a flaming liberal and my professors never once tried to convert me to the cause. It's a courtesy I also extend to my students too.

It's a frustrating career, but honestly, if you don't love teaching and education, you tend to wash out quick because of that. The pay isn't great, you teach a lot, you do lots of work, and you don't really get free time, even when classes aren't in session. There's much better careers you can do if you just want to get paid.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Most professors. We take our jobs very seriously, especially if we're talking about my side of it, which is younger. And indoctrination really doesn't apply for anyone, regardless of which side of the isle you're on. If you want that sort of thing, you join a think tank. I took classes with some of the biggest names in conservative thought even though I'm a flaming liberal and my professors never once tried to convert me to the cause. It's a courtesy I also extend to my students too.

It's a frustrating career, but honestly, if you don't love teaching and education, you tend to wash out quick because of that. The pay isn't great, you teach a lot, you do lots of work, and you don't really get free time, even when classes aren't in session. There's much better careers you can do if you just want to get paid.
I was a high school teacher and I agree that it's a terrible career choice if you don't actually want to do it.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
My TV has decided to stop working. Keeps freezing then restarting. Can't change channels or anything....

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
giphy.gif

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
My TV has decided to stop working. Keeps freezing then restarting. Can't change channels or anything....
Have tried turning it off and turning it on again :laugh:
You might try unplugging it for a few minutes and then plugging it back in again. Because electronics.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Collective bargaining:

So, average US inflation rates over the next 3 years is projected about 2% a year.

Our union is offering 3% raise each year next 3 years.

This seems pretty weak. Right?

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Collective bargaining:

So, average US inflation rates over the next 3 years is projected about 2% a year.

Our union is offering 3% raise each year next 3 years.

This seems pretty weak. Right?

I mean, beating inflation in a unionized position seems ok to me. Are the raises indexed to inflation with a minimum of 3% or just 3% flat no matter what?

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
I mean, beating inflation in a unionized position seems ok to me. Are the raises indexed to inflation with a minimum of 3% or just 3% flat no matter what?

Flat 3% a year. So it could end up better or worse depending on the overall economy. I don't really want it to be better--because that would mean economic collapse, lol.

I mean, I know inflation is not something that you really tie wages into, but we live in one of the most expensive parts of the country and I feel our wages aren't really taking that into account.

Unfortunately, unless you are biomedical/technology, it is hard to keep up with costs in the CA Bay Area.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Flat 3% a year. So it could end up better or worse depending on the overall economy. I don't really want it to be better--because that would mean economic collapse, lol.

I mean, I know inflation is not something that you really tie wages into, but we live in one of the most expensive parts of the country and I feel our wages aren't really taking that into account.

Unfortunately, unless you are biomedical/technology, it is hard to keep up with costs in the CA Bay Area.

Oh geez, you're in the Bay Area? Yeah housing costs are/have been exploding. My mortgage payment is worth a small closet with about 3 roommates in San Francisco. Cost of Living increases in the Bay have to be far higher than the national average. What industry are you in?

Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Oh geez, you're in the Bay Area? Yeah housing costs are/have been exploding. My mortgage payment is worth a small closet with about 3 roommates in San Francisco. Cost of Living increases in the Bay have to be far higher than the national average. What industry are you in?

Local government sector, administrative support... :sarcasm:

Last edited:

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Are disappointed/angry/surprised air hockey tables a thing?

00Y0Y_aQVna4umaE_600x450.jpg

00v0v_awXk2yZ9Psz_600x450.jpg

Why am I just now noticed these faces? ahahahahahha

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I was a high school teacher and I agree that it's a terrible career choice if you don't actually want to do it.

Teaching at the university level is tough, but grade school teaching is nuts. Talk about overworked and underpaid! I'm a very good university lecturer (at least according to my evals every year, YMMV), but I wouldn't stand a chance in a high school or middle school class room. It's a much more intense field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad