Confirmed with Link: ColePens Said ANYTHING for the B2B Cup (Hornqvist traded to Florida for Matheson + Sceviour)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
You mean when Sullivan literally took a giant steaming shit on the top 6's chemistry by swapping Zucker with Guentzel and ruining both lines?

All Sullivan had to do was keep Zucker, Crosby, Sheary together and reunite Guentzel, Malkin, Rust to give this team some momentum. He refused, he lost his entire staff as a result and is on notice because of it.

His idiocy in the top 6 wasn't even the only stupid things he did vs Montreal.

Thank you. We are usually on the same page.

I would have gone even further and put Zucker on 3rd line with McCann. Not messed with the Jake - Geno - Rust line after we saw Malkin not looking like his usual self. And had PH with Sid and Sheary or even Tanev. Point is Sully hasnt been trying to get the most out of these lines. Does nothing to throw off opposing teams anymore. Same as the stubborness to stick with Simon - Bjugstad - PH as our 3rd line against the Isles cuz it was a "great shutdown line". Sully also stuck with the "4th line" for these playoffs.

He used to get creative during the cup runs. But now just creates a line he likes and sticks with it even if it isnt working anymore. Same as the PP. They do the same thing over and over.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I dont think so. Their mindset was off I agree but it wasnt about not being hungry enough. I think after that game 3 collapse(up 3 -1 in the game and on our way to a 2-1 series lead) they got in their own heads again. And couldnt score in game 4.

There has been so much talk about them being done, I think losing someone like PH is what is needed. Kind of like us losing Hossa in 09. Nobody expected us to be as good without him. Not comparing the two but Im referring to the mindset. We also lost Ryan Malone that off season. Many thought we would be worse.

Fast forward to the b2b cups. Was it the mindset that changed or the fact that HBK was so good of a line that teams didnt know how to stop all 3 of our lines. So basically, was it due to the Pens mindset or just talent? And talent that teams were not used to facing. As good as Sid/Geno were...teams did start to figure out how to limit them come playoff time and force our depth to step up.

And here we are again. Is it complacency...lack of hunger? Or the fact that once again teams know how to defend against our style of play? I say more of the latter so Im happy to just keep adding more pure talent to the lineup. Unless the new assistants will help change our look . We can still play with speed, and Sullys system but we can also tweak it to where it catches teams off guard. Add in things they havent seen. Especially for the powerplay. That is most important imo. We won alot of series over the years due to having such a good PP.

Then there is the gap in talent between the top 2 lines and the bottom 6. I keep bringing up names like Hoffman, Saad, etc to add to our 3rd line but we dont necessarily need that if Sully could make the right changes when he sees a team getting the best of us. For example, we went years of Sid and Geno only having one legit winger, now they each have 2. Is that really needed over the lack of prodection from the bottom 6?

For example, Jake - Sid - X would still produce at a high level. X - Malkin - Rust would as well. Poulin could be one of those X's but that is beside the point.

So we could move Zucker to the 3rd line with McCann and Kapanen for example. Now how much better would that line be than the Marleau /PH combo with McCann? Suddenly we have 3 dangerous lines again. Not just two top lines and a 3rd line that is capable of pitching in here and there but basically another HBK type impact.

And then there is the Tanev/Blueger combo.

That is much better than what we had the last two seasons. So I dont see it as just mindset. I see it as we had lack of talent , or the talent not properly placed throughout the lineup.
Well if you think they were hungry enough, then re-watch periods 1 and 2 of Game 4. That's an elimination, do or die game, after a long ass pause from CoVid when most guys were fresh. I saw no hint of desperation until the 3rd period. By then it was too late. It was honestly pathetic. It's not like we were up against Tampa Bay.

Maybe losing PH is needed. Hard to say. But I'm not sure I agree losing Hossa made the team better. All that happened in 2009 was a full carry from Malkin and Crosby. They had 36 and 32 points, respectively. It was enough to off-set Fleury's poor performance throughout those playoffs, and the suspect defense.

HBK was good because those 3 got along extremely well, had skillsets that balanced the line and were all searching for their 1st Cup. They got good matchups, since Malkin and Crosby got the attention. It was lightning in a bottle. When the 2016-2017 season started, all that chemistry and desperation was gone and the line got disbanded. They had ample opportunity to get it back. To Sullivan's credit, he tried and tried them.

Totally agree that improving the PP is a massive priority. That's why I'm quite pleased to bring Reirden back, who proved before he knows what he's doing with that job. I was looking forward to Hornqvist's increased production on that unit.

I think we do need a player of that caliber on the 3rd line, yes. We're getting into the sketchier territory of Malkin and Crosby's careers. It would be no huge surprise to see a significant drop off at this point. You have to provide insurance in the event that that happens. So you load the 3rd line. Malkin surprised us last year with his fitness and new mindset, but are we really expecting an encore? Is that fair to expect from a 34 year old?

As for your scenario of moving Zucker to the 3rd line, I'm 1000% against that. He has good chemistry with Sid, which is actually pretty rare for wingers throughout his career. Sid is only getting slower. That means they'll play more of a perimeter game. So you need that beast of a shot up there. Guentzel works with Malkin and almost anybody historically, so I have no problem moving him to L2 again.
Kapanen should be tried thoroughly on the RW, but if that fails (and I suspect it will) then I want to see McCann or Tanev over there pronto. Rust can stay with Malkin.

I agree some shifting of lines would help, but I think we're missing a scoring piece still in the bottom 6. That's how Tampa Bay made the Finals this year. They had backups. But it's too late now. We squandered our assets and cap space.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah and then Sheary was shit in the playoffs again, like I said would happen. He has always been shit in the playoffs.
He had one quality play. That assist to Zucker.
Then he picked up a secondary assist on Sid's goal.

Games 1, 3 and 4 he was worthless. 3 shots total. 1st line winger Conor f***ing Sheary LOL. Spare me...

Flopping around and getting bodied like always.
Sheary wasn't the issue, your gripes about him are less an indictment of his game and more your disdain for him in general.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
I am not super upset that Horny was traded, he was wearing down before our eyes.

Sceviour, have no idea about. Curious how he fits in.

Matheson is the wildcard. Dont like the caphit, dont like that its another left handed shot. Buuuuut, he has some intriguing talent. Defensemen are notorious for being late bloomers. I want to see what Gonchar can do with him. Also, someone has to go on the left side, hopefully its JJ.
Gonchar is gone

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's both. And look at his career playoff stats and tell me I'm wrong.
Jesus christ, are you just not wanting to listen and argue about literally everything right now?

Sheary isn't the f***ing issue.
Hornqvist likely should have been on that 1st line with Crosby, but we all know Sully/Sid apparently don't want that, success be damned.
Crosby & Jake had 1g and 2a in the 4 games, shots or no shots, that entire line should have been better, actually was when Zucker was there as Sid was building chemistry with Zucker when he joined the Pens and then playoffs start and Sullivan decided to just abandon all momentum for idiocy.

The issues in the playoffs were a lot to do with Sullivan & Co's lack of understanding their own line-up, they over played JJ and Schultz, didn't scratch them when he should have, abandoned lines that were working for what he "thought" would work, again.

Reactions: Khelandros

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Of all the f***ing issues the team had in the playoffs, the odd zeroing in on Sheary is just...

Leading scorer on the Pens had at most, 3pts. But yes, Sheary...

Reactions: Gurglesons

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Jesus christ, are you just not wanting to listen and argue about literally everything right now?

Sheary isn't the f***ing issue.
Hornqvist likely should have been on that 1st line with Crosby, but we all know Sully/Sid apparently don't want that, success be damned.
Crosby & Jake had 1g and 2a in the 4 games, shots or no shots, that entire line should have been better, actually was when Zucker was there as Sid was building chemistry with Zucker when he joined the Pens and then playoffs start and Sullivan decided to just abandon all momentum for idiocy.

The issues in the playoffs were a lot to do with Sullivan & Co's lack of understanding their own line-up, they over played JJ and Schultz, didn't scratch them when he should have, abandoned lines that were working for what he "thought" would work, again.
Hornqvist, Tanev or McCann in that spot. Correct. All 3 better choices. Sid is not the coach of the team. It's not his call to make. Wasn't Sullivan supposed to be an alpha male? He's been given the authority. Rutherford certainly didn't stop him from acting that way during the Cup runs. Where did his balls go? Did his wife steal them?

Never said Sheary was the MAIN problem. Most of the team were disappointing. But he has as much blame attached as anybody else.

The Power play failed us hard in game 1. What in the f*** was that, anyway? I was embarrassed. How many opportunities? 7? And then the 2nd unit and big dick Rust got it done and scored 1. Wasn't enough though. We had a 5 on 3 too, at the start of the 3rd. Montreal's penalties were 28 seconds apart. Montreal blanked us in that period.

Yes, moving Zucker was idiotic. I was always against that. Sid needed his shot, especially with his injury hampering his movement. And that's a very bad thing, because Sid already is pretty slow for today's NHL.

And yes, I have never understood all the contrarians who wanted JJ over Riikola over these past few years. Words fail me when I see those comments. Just makes me angry.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Sheary wasn't the issue, your gripes about him are less an indictment of his game and more your disdain for him in general.
Sheary was a massive issue. He couldn’t stop giving the puck away all series long. I counted 8 times in a single period, and it wasn’t an anomaly. That shit is frustrating when you work so hard to get possession.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sheary had two giveaways in 4 games at 5v5.
Everything Sheary does wrong, this place magnifies 10 fold, it seems. He falls once, "THAT'S THE 10TH TIME HE'S FALLEN, I COUNTED!"
He gives it away a couple of times, "SHEARY GAVE THE PUCK AWAY 40 TIMES, DIRECTLY LED TO ALL THE GOALS, ALL OF THEM."

Sheary doesn't pick where he plays, the coach does, the coach choose incredibly poorly with his entire line-up. That was the issue. As well as literally zero game planning that made any sense vs the Habs.

Had Sullivan & Co actually planned a strategy around beating the Habs and their line-up, maybe we would have had a shot. If Sullivan & Co dressed the right line-up, maybe we would have a chance.

Doesn't mean a damned thing now.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So who sits in front of the net on the PP unit one?
Jack Johnson, might as well use that thick skull of his for something, let him taking a beating in front of the net.

Pens have had success on the powerplay without a Hornqvist type before, they can again. They never lacked the player personnel, they lacked the creativity and execution.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
The value or deals might not be pretty but JR has said he doesnt care about that. Atleast hes not acquiring JJ or Gud or Reaves.

The team was pathetic against MTL so trading a guy like Horny should be a kick in the nuts.

If this seriously is his MO his should be fired even ten times more than now. Trading away the heart and soul of this team just for "kicking in the nuts" and absolute shit value just goes to show that he is an ancient cenile dinosaur and needs to go. Right now. Seriously, Panthers fans were ready to trade away their 1st to get rid of him. And we give them Hornqvist.

Reactions: Riikolas Revenge

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Sheary had two giveaways in 4 games at 5v5.
I don't know how exactly they are crediting giveaways, but I think we need to go over the footage and bust out a clip compilation for you guys with short term memory problems.

Maybe he didn't directly get intercepted on an attempted pass, but he did get rubbed out on the boards, fall over or goof his stickhandling. The result is the same. Stripped of the puck.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Not true. Pittsburgh also has a specific separate tax for athletes too. Marian Hossa and other athletes here have bitched about it.

Also, the state tax depends on whether he declares residency there or not. If he does, it’s a significant savings. If he doesn’t, it’s not a big deal.
Residency is completely irrelevant in this context. Athletes/performers pay non-resident state income taxes for the pro-rated services delivered in such non-resident states, TO those states, irrespective of residence. Pittsburgh's municipal/occupational tax is an entirely different animal and outside the scope of this discussion. f***ing Hossa also bitched about the Wings being his best chance for a Stanley cup, so f*** him... ;-)

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I dont like the trade. But tbh, does the length on Mathesons contract really matter?

I think we all know by now it's pretty much the dark years again in 2 years anyway.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
I dont like the trade. But tbh, does the length on Mathesons contract really matter?

I think we all know by now it's pretty much the dark years again in 2 years anyway.
Soon enough sid will retire and Geno will go to Russia. We’ll trade Guentzel for Tanner Pearson and a 3rd round pick. Marino will walk.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Residency is completely irrelevant in this context. Athletes/performers pay non-resident state income taxes for the pro-rated services delivered in such non-resident states, TO those states, irrespective of residence. Pittsburgh's municipal/occupational tax is an entirely different animal and outside the scope of this discussion. f***ing Hossa also bitched about the Wings being his best chance for a Stanley cup, so f*** him... ;-)

As a person who has been a resident of PA multiple times and also Florida as well I can assure you from personal experience there was a massive difference in my take home pay without Florida state income tax.

Google all you want but anyone who has lived in PA and also one is the other states such as Florida, Texas, Nevada, etc can back me up on this.

Residency matters.

The athlete tax is completely different. I know what you are talking about and I wasn’t referring to that.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So we made the trade even worse by taking Sceviour and Matheson with no retention? Cool.
Rutherford-e1510584209819.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad