Player Discussion: Cole Perfetti 10th OA pick

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
This may have been talked about else where but I wonder what the 1 game remaining on suspension for Scheifele does to Perfetti getting into Game 1 of the season?

As for the strategy around the starting lineup... do the Jets try to keep the projected 2nd and 3rd lines together and fill in the top line another way?

I think if everyone was healthy (assuming Copp is a Jet) and Scheif wasn't suspended then I guess Cole would start on the Moose.

But maybe he gets to play Game 1 and possibly with Wheeler and Connor for that one game. Or they put Stastny on that line and Cole on the LW with PLD and Ehlers or whatever.

GCn07

Feb 27, 2018
Perfetti is looking legit, and KC and the Jets have yet another draft day steal!!!

how do we keep doing this? why aren't other teams seeing what we see? (#55,#27,#81, etc)

When you are a draft and develop team out of necessity because you will never be an attractive FA destination you have to out think, out hustle, out work, and out maneuver. Ownership knew this was our only path to success and hired the right people to do the job. We also were a bit ahead of the curve on drafting players lacking in size. Still a ton of teams that won't do it but it's changing now. We value skill over size up front when it comes to the draft, a lot of teams don't and it puts us in a position to grab fallers every year. How many ahead of us pass on Perfetti if he is 6+ feet 185+, not many beyond 3 is my guess. If it's not size, then it's speed that teams are passing on. Sheef was not a great skater but scouting got some great character references about his work ethic and desire to work on his skating and bulking up.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
To be fair, that draft was stacked. Perfetti maybe makes a case for 6th at best, but the bump in ranking likely comes from the fantastic AHL season that he had, plus his Worlds performance. It wasn't all immediately obvious at the time.

Nolan Giesbrecht

Jun 14, 2016
Fallout from #SheifeleGate, IIRC. Murat went after Scheifele nearly as hard as Scheifele went after Evans.

Ahhh, makes sense that I missed that.

That series coincided with a bunch of real life stresses and I kind of dropped hockey as it wasn’t only adding to it, lol.

SO I heard of all the drama, but didn’t actually get into it too much

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Agreed about Perfetti.

But the what’s this about Murat?! I’ve only ever heard positives about him.

Fallout from #SheifeleGate, IIRC. Murat went after Scheifele nearly as hard as Scheifele went after Evans.

I don't remember exactly why I said that (my memory is about as strong as a fart in a hurricane), but I think it was as JetsUK said.

I cancelled my Athletic subscription as result and won't be getting a new one.

But, I'm glad Perfetti is having his stock rising. I was super pumped he fell to us. Still am.

Reactions: Finster8

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I could not have been more disapointed in Perfetti's performance at last year's WJC. I dont think i saw him skate in the home plate area for more than 10 seconds the entire tournament.

Then I stat watched and read what people had to say at the beginning of the year with he Moose and meh. I get it he is really young for the league, I thought let's wait and see.

Then he figured it out. To be honest the figuring out has me really excited for this player. The reports of how smart he is came true in a real life test. Im on board and cant wait to see what kind of improvements he can make in the off season.

If the only option the Jest have is NHL or OHL I see the Jets keeping him around the team until the WJC and at minimum play 8 games and if things go surprisingly well he stays with the team. If not it WJC and back to the OHL.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I could not have been more disapointed in Perfetti's performance at last year's WJC. I dont think i saw him skate in the home plate area for more than 10 seconds the entire tournament.

Then I stat watched and read what people had to say at the beginning of the year with he Moose and meh. I get it he is really young for the league, I thought let's wait and see.

Then he figured it out. To be honest the figuring out has me really excited for this player. The reports of how smart he is came true in a real life test. Im on board and cant wait to see what kind of improvements he can make in the off season.

If the only option the Jest have is NHL or OHL I see the Jets keeping him around the team until the WJC and at minimum play 8 games and if things go surprisingly well he stays with the team. If not it WJC and back to the OHL.

I didn't like how he was used in the WJHC nor how they asked him to play.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont

I do believe there is a deal in place to allow players who played at least 20 games in the AHL to continue playing there. It’s either the Jets or Moose for Cole. Going back to Saginaw and playing against teenagers is not in his or the Jets best interest, he’s just too good for that I think.

Reactions: TS Quint

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad