Player Discussion: Cole Perfetti 10th OA pick

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Not sure if this has been posted, but an interesting feature on Perfetti and what to expect from his dev time in the AHL:

AHL Stint Could Accelerate Perfetti’s Development

Since the 2009-2010 season, there’s been just 15 players 19-years-old or younger to play (more than 30 games) at the AHL level (Elite Prospects - AHL Stats 2009-2010). What Perfetti is doing at this age is a rarity, however, nearly 90% of all NHL players pay their dues in the AHL at some point in time.

“Guys that are elite talents and elite players at the next level came through the AHL and learned professional hockey here and then moved on and took their talents to the big leagues. I think it’s a crucial stepping stone for a lot of players,” said Perfetti, whose OHL rights are owned by the Saginaw Spirit.

Perfetti, who was ranked as high as fourth heading into last fall's draft, is an elite talent himself. He’s the type of talent who had Jets management ecstatic when he slipped to them in the draft. The type of talent that prompts the casual Jets fan to keep their eyes peeled on the Moose’s box scores. The type of talent that inclined Pascal Vincent, who usually refrains from seeing lofty expectations for young prospects, to make a bold proclamation after the first practice of Moose training camp on January 25th.

[...]

Perfetti, renowned for his elite hockey IQ, puck skills and scoring instincts, oozes a great deal of potential. The 5’10 dynamic forward tore up the OHL last season, finishing second in league scoring (111 points) and leading all skaters with 62 primary points at even-strength (EV P1).

“You can tell he’s very smart, he’s got good skills with not only his hands, but his feet. He’s quite agile around the puck and his ability to separate himself from the defender is pretty impressive,” Vincent elaborated.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Not sure if this has been posted, but an interesting feature on Perfetti and what to expect from his dev time in the AHL:

AHL Stint Could Accelerate Perfetti’s Development

Since the 2009-2010 season, there’s been just 15 players 19-years-old or younger to play (more than 30 games) at the AHL level (Elite Prospects - AHL Stats 2009-2010). What Perfetti is doing at this age is a rarity, however, nearly 90% of all NHL players pay their dues in the AHL at some point in time.

“Guys that are elite talents and elite players at the next level came through the AHL and learned professional hockey here and then moved on and took their talents to the big leagues. I think it’s a crucial stepping stone for a lot of players,” said Perfetti, whose OHL rights are owned by the Saginaw Spirit.

Perfetti, who was ranked as high as fourth heading into last fall's draft, is an elite talent himself. He’s the type of talent who had Jets management ecstatic when he slipped to them in the draft. The type of talent that prompts the casual Jets fan to keep their eyes peeled on the Moose’s box scores. The type of talent that inclined Pascal Vincent, who usually refrains from seeing lofty expectations for young prospects, to make a bold proclamation after the first practice of Moose training camp on January 25th.

[...]

Perfetti, renowned for his elite hockey IQ, puck skills and scoring instincts, oozes a great deal of potential. The 5’10 dynamic forward tore up the OHL last season, finishing second in league scoring (111 points) and leading all skaters with 62 primary points at even-strength (EV P1).

“You can tell he’s very smart, he’s got good skills with not only his hands, but his feet. He’s quite agile around the puck and his ability to separate himself from the defender is pretty impressive,” Vincent elaborated.

This is exactly what I've seen in the 3 Moose games. He's slick and his ability to forecheck has really surprised me. He's not super fast, but he still gets it done. He's a deceptive passer. We might have a winner..

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Didn't realise he was playing with the Moose now, good to hear
IIRC his ELC still slides?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He looked a bit tired last night, granted 4th game in 5 nights after a long layoff.

He still managed to get 3 real good looks at net and he is really improving on the draw.

I think it’s part of the process where 4 games in 5 nights is overwhelming and taxing but if it doesn’t kill you. There will be adjustments no doubt.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Ken Wiebe said the same thing on Illegal Curve this morning, that he looked like a guy that had played 4 in 5.

HighFlyingJets

Sep 30, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
On a side note, whats up with the Moose schedule. 8 games scheduled only? I see other teams have more games scheduled into march and april while the Moose are done after February?

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
On a side note, whats up with the Moose schedule. 8 games scheduled only? I see other teams have more games scheduled into march and april while the Moose are done after February?

The North division only had games scheduled for the first couple of weeks as at the time, they weren't authorized to play in Ontario. Hence Toronto and Belleville had road games scheduled. Since then, they've been approved, so I'm sure a more complete schedule will come out soon.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Perfetti (and lot's of the other recently drafted players this year who played in the AHL) are really showing how much better their development might be if they had the option to play in the AHL after being drafted and not being NHL or Junior only.

There are obviously issues that would need to be worked out, and concerns from the CHL, but I think something should really be worked out to allow some of these guys to play in the AHL early.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Perfetti (and lot's of the other recently drafted players this year who played in the AHL) are really showing how much better their development might be if they had the option to play in the AHL after being drafted and not being NHL or Junior only.

There are obviously issues that would need to be worked out, and concerns from the CHL, but I think something should really be worked out to allow some of these guys to play in the AHL early.

Id like a rule that anyone drafted in the 1st round is allowed to play in the AHL. There would obviously need to be some financial incentive to the CHL and parent team to do this, but I’m sure that some sort of deal could be made. Guys like Perfetti, Marner, Byfield etc would develop so much better against men in the pros as compared to undersized teens in junior.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
Id like a rule that anyone drafted in the 1st round is allowed to play in the AHL. There would obviously need to be some financial incentive to the CHL and parent team to do this, but I’m sure that some sort of deal could be made. Guys like Perfetti, Marner, Byfield etc would develop so much better against men in the pros as compared to undersized teens in junior.
Perhaps it could be limited to those teams that didn’t make the playoffs, and exclude picks acquired by trade.

Reactions: irunthepeg

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Really liked Perfetti's answers. Especially encouraging about how the WC and time with the Moose let him know he feels ready to compete with the men in the NHL. Really sucks it's OHL or NHL for him next year cause it would be great to be able to send him to the Moose again.

They should 100% have some sort of exception for drafted underragers who played in the AHL/pro this year to be able to until they're 20.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB

That's a good idea. I would be also be in favor of granting each NHL team the ability to send one player from their draft class to the AHL. This way if a player taken in round 2 or above performs way beyond expectations, he can also be sent to the A.

Reactions: Reddawg

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
That's a good idea. I would be also be in favor of granting each NHL team the ability to send one player from their draft class to the AHL. This way if a player taken in round 2 or above performs way beyond expectations, he can also be sent to the A.

Yes, that would be interesting to see, sort of a broader version of the CHL "exceptional status" rules.

This article is from 2018, which IIRC was the last time these agreements and system were debated in detail -- maybe this year's experiences will add some urgency:

Understanding the NHL – CHL Transfer Agreement and Impact on AHL assignment

Reactions: Jetsfan79

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

Good news for Perfetti if this comes to fruition. He'd be much better served in the AHL if he can't quite crack the Jets next season.

That's great. My prediction if it happens... Perfetti has a very highly productive first half in the AHL, and ends up finishing the season on the Jets.

Reactions: TS Quint

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Good news for Perfetti if this comes to fruition. He'd be much better served in the AHL if he can't quite crack the Jets next season.

That's great. My prediction if it happens... Perfetti has a very highly productive first half in the AHL, and ends up finishing the season on the Jets.

I love this news!!

My guess is he needs more development time but I love that he can get a bigger challenge in the AHL with a fuller more normal schedule.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad