Player Discussion: Cole Perfetti 10th OA pick

Krauser

Oct 3, 2017
Scott Wheeler’s glowing review of Perfetti at the Team Canada Summer Showcase, from The Athletic: Team Canada summer showcase: U18 standouts and World Junior roster projection

LW Cole Perfetti: Perfetti was the best forward in camp. He’s a lock for the first-line left wing role and a letter if he’s allowed to play. His hands under pressure to be able to feed pucks into space and shape passes around defenders really differentiate him (including off his backhand, where he’s excellent). He also did a really good job getting his shots off around sticks with little adjustments. There’s just an uncanny poise that he has with the puck. He’s still got a very upright skating stance but the rest of the makings of a star NHL forward are there. He didn’t play in the finale but I’m told that it’s nothing serious and he was just kept out for precautionary reasons because he was a little banged up.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Love everything we're hearing about Perfetti in camp. The only thing I would love better is if they were playing him a bit at center. But that's not the end of the world. Especially if he gets some time at center on the Moose.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Scott Wheeler’s glowing review of Perfetti at the Team Canada Summer Showcase, from The Athletic: Team Canada summer showcase: U18 standouts and World Junior roster projection

LW Cole Perfetti: Perfetti was the best forward in camp. He’s a lock for the first-line left wing role and a letter if he’s allowed to play. His hands under pressure to be able to feed pucks into space and shape passes around defenders really differentiate him (including off his backhand, where he’s excellent). He also did a really good job getting his shots off around sticks with little adjustments. There’s just an uncanny poise that he has with the puck. He’s still got a very upright skating stance but the rest of the makings of a star NHL forward are there. He didn’t play in the finale but I’m told that it’s nothing serious and he was just kept out for precautionary reasons because he was a little banged up.

He could crack the team if he's quick and strong enough in camp. I think he has star center upside.

Reactions: GNP

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
If (and its a big if) he makes the Jets, and even excels in a regular roster spot, is there a chance we don't send him to the WJ?

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
He could crack the team if he's quick and strong enough in camp. I think he has star center upside.
Not if PMo has anything to say about it.

Can’t see him getting the shot unless we’re in an injury crisis and really need the addition to the top 6.

Think it will be just like Connor where he’s not seen as good enough until we need him and then suddenly as if by magic he’s ready.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Can’t see him getting the shot unless we’re in an injury crisis and really need the addition to the top 6.

Think it will be just like Connor where he’s not seen as good enough until we need him and then suddenly as if by magic he’s ready.

Yeah I suspect that will happen as well. He will have to wait until an injury to Stastny to get in imo. It's the Maurice way.

Reactions: Mathil8

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015

I think you’re forgetting how bad Connor looked during camp and at the start of the 17-18 season, but sure blame Pomo.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I am in no rush with this kid. He needs to develop right because he is a critical piece moving forward. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in the NHL in his draft +3 season

Good points! He is our most important piece as he's the one prospect we have that has star potential at a key position (center) imo and having him hit that level is incredibly important.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

We'll see what happens with Copp. If Copp goes, there may be a shuffling that could open up a spot on the second line for Perfetti if he's ready to take it.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I would much rather see Perfetti given a shot this season than Statsny on second line all year - give him a chance to rise to the occasion but if not, can always drop him to the fourth line

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I would much rather see Perfetti given a shot this season than Statsny on second line all year - give him a chance to rise to the occasion but if not, can always drop him to the fourth line
I don't think you waste a natural offensive skill player on the fourth line... ever. If he looks out of place on the second line, put him back on the Moose. Ideally, I'd like to see Staz on the third line with Lowry and Perfetti on the second line.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I don't think you waste a natural offensive skill player on the fourth line... ever. If he looks out of place on the second line, put him back on the Moose. Ideally, I'd like to see Staz on the third line with Lowry and Perfetti on the second line.
I meant more in terms of a break from the pressure... but I'd be aiming for him as 2LW

A big issue will be PLD's faceoffs - they're not great and never have been... I think Stats was re-signed to be our unofficial 2C. My best case sccenario would be a fourth line of Harkins-Stats-Ves getting 10+ mins a game

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I have no interest in ever seeing him on the 4th line. Not for a single shift.
It's almost guaranteed Perfetti will be on the Moose. TNSE has moved well past the "we need to rush prospects" phase because we can't ice a NHL caliber lineup without doing so. Stastny was signed to fill out the top 6 so Perfetti doesn't need to be rushed. The kid will be real good IMO, but he still has areas to develop and much better to to this in a starring role on the Moose, rather than a limited role on the Jets.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I think you’re forgetting how bad Connor looked during camp and at the start of the 17-18 season, but sure blame Pomo.
Would be a valid point if Maurice hadn’t been here for 7 years already and the Connor case being just one example.

Perfetti could have a knockout amazing camp and I can 100% guarantee you right now he will not be on the Jets and will be on the Moose to start the year.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Would be a valid point if Maurice hadn’t been here for 7 years already and the Connor case being just one example.

Perfetti could have a knockout amazing camp and I can 100% guarantee you right now he will not be on the Jets and will be on the Moose to start the year.
Since the 15-16 (including that season) the Jets have iced one of the youngest rosters in the NHL.

you say Connor is the one exception but I’d love for you to give me 3 examples of a young player that Pomo refuses to put in the line up that is actually half decent.

this myth was created by people that were adamant that Petan, Dano, Niku Etc. were sure fire young players that would light the league on fire if it wasn’t for Maurice.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
Since the 15-16 (including that season) the Jets have iced one of the youngest rosters in the NHL.

you say Connor is the one exception but I’d love for you to give me 3 examples of a young player that Pomo refuses to put in the line up that is actually half decent.

this myth was created by people that were adamant that Petan, Dano, Niku Etc. were sure fire young players that would light the league on fire if it wasn’t for Maurice.

I can give you one from this season that is actually decent.........Heinola. :naughty::naughty:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
It's almost guaranteed Perfetti will be on the Moose. TNSE has moved well past the "we need to rush prospects" phase because we can't ice a NHL caliber lineup without doing so. Stastny was signed to fill out the top 6 so Perfetti doesn't need to be rushed. The kid will be real good IMO, but he still has areas to develop and much better to to this in a starring role on the Moose, rather than a limited role on the Jets.
Were they ever even in that phase?

True North has never rushed prospects. They pick up waiver wire fodder instead (which is honestly preferable IMO, Atlanta rushed their prospects and it screwed them royally, I’d prefer some patience).

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Good. As it should be. We will one day need Perfetti to be a star player for us. Much more likely for this to happen if we let him develop in a Staring role on the Moose rather than as rushing him as a 19 y/o who can hold his head above water in the NHL.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I agree. But if we lose Copp there will be an opening at LW. Right now, I don't think we have anyone else to fill it. Add to that the progress he has made in the last year and I think there is an outside chance he makes the Jets. If he actually earns the spot, I have no problem with it. He won't be rushed.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

B69D0CF7-5387-4E19-8953-E8EC043B7D7E.jpeg

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

At least with Niku, the argument wasn't that he would light the world on fire. It was that they should give him a shot because he was being blocked by garbage veterans. Dahlström, Bitetto, Sbisa and the ilk were provably bad hockey players. Niku was an unknown who could be better than them, especially based on his performance in the A. Which is exactly what the discussion is about. It's not that young players should play over better veterans. It's that they should play over bad veterans.

If Perfetti, put in a top 6 position, makes our team better, I claim that he shouldn't be put in the AHL because the Red Wings were successful in doing that when they had a dynasty roster in the 90s and 00s.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It comes down to if he's ready to come in and contribute. If he is and wins a spot then he should play ala players like Point. If he's not then sure send him for some more seasoning.

Seasoning him just for the sake of seasoning if he's ready isn't something we should be practicing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->