Player Discussion: Cole Perfetti 10th OA pick

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
If he makes the team next year we will add a significant contract the same year as helly, sheif and wheeler. It will be a huge problem for Chevy.

For this reason even if he is ready next year he will be held back for one more.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
If he makes the team next year we will add a significant contract the same year as helly, sheif and wheeler. It will be a huge problem for Chevy.

For this reason even if he is ready next year he will be held back for one more.

If he's ready, he'll play. If there are still some concerns, he won't.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

The organization won't make decisions that way, and even if they did, having Wheelers contract come off the books would be a good thing to free up signing other players.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
The organization won't make decisions that way, and even if they did, having Wheelers contract come off the books would be a good thing to free up signing other players.

I think they do. Wheeler will be coming back on a short term deal as well. No way he retires or is traded IMO

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think they do. Wheeler will be coming back on a short term deal as well. No way he retires or is traded IMO
Even if Wheeler comes back for a year or 2 it would be for far less then his current $8.25 M. And they aren't going to make there decisions that way as they need good cheap players on ELCs to actually make it that far down the line in the first place.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Even if Wheeler comes back for a year or 2 it would be for far less then his current $8.25 M. And they aren't going to make there decisions that way as they need good cheap players on ELCs to actually make it that far down the line in the first place.

Good point. He would be on elc right up until the year after their contracts to try and make it. That’s hoping we are going for it the next 4 years

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Definitely. He's looking like a D+3 guy, for sure. He was pulled off PP1 and rightfully so. He was just killing momentum out there.

Lots of time to develop though, not the least bit worried.
Agreed No need to rush him. It would be nice if there was a normally functioning OHL to return him to.

Reactions: ps241

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Definitely. He's looking like a D+3 guy, for sure. He was pulled off PP1 and rightfully so. He was just killing momentum out there.

He was on pp 1. The coach juat started the second unit... he then proceed to have a grade A chance and then set one up.

Reactions: Mathil8

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011

I have only seen highlight reels, so I was kind of disappointed with his play so far. Some guys take longer so not to worried.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
He's looked just fine to me. Not sure how this performance in a Q4 game on a stacked Canada team playing to protect their lead confirms anything about his projection. I mean, Lundell has gone from a projected 3C to 1C back to 2-3C in a single game over on the main boards.

First stride needs work for sure. Other than that and a clear miss he looks like he's playing like the coach wants him to play to me.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He's looked just fine to me. Not sure how this performance in a Q4 game on a stacked Canada team playing to protect their lead confirms anything about his projection. I mean, Lundell has gone from a projected 3C to 1C back to 2-3C in a single game over on the main boards.

First stride needs work for sure. Other than that and a clear miss he looks like he's playing like the coach wants him to play to me.

Yeah he hasn't really been allowed to wind up on the transition. Very little east west and deception which is his game. It also seems like the coach wants him sitting in front of the net in the offensive end so he's not getting that many offensive touches. Still has been very good at zone exits ans entries.

Reactions: John Agar and ps241

mike the carpenter

Aug 2, 2020
While I love the Jets drafting overall, I think the team made a big goof on Mr Perfetti. He is slow, not only slow but very slow. He makes some good passes from time to time but, overall, he is a step behind. By rights, he has been Canada’s 13th forward and I would expect the coaching staff would choose another player if they had a do over. He does not make other players better. He is too slow to be effective on either the backcheck or forecheck. Love Heinola though.

Reactions: Skidooboy

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
While I love the Jets drafting overall, I think the team made a big goof on Mr Perfetti. He is slow, not only slow but very slow. He makes some good passes from time to time but, overall, he is a step behind. By rights, he has been Canada’s 13th forward and I would expect the coaching staff would choose another player if they had a do over. He does not make other players better. He is too slow to be effective on either the backcheck or forecheck. Love Heinola though.
that's just not even close to being true at all...

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015

This is completely wrong. Perfetti has been playing in the top 6 and on PP1 for the whole tournament. His ice time has consistently been in the top 5 of all of the forwards. All he does is make other players better. If he would ever get a pass it would help. So many times tonight he was wide open and the pass never came.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think we can be fairly gentle with Cole at this point. It is clear he is still a year or 2 away. But the skill is there and he still looks to need to do some physical development yet.

It would help some if he could play his game but hes clearly trying to play the straight line game his coach wants him to. The few times he's been able to go east west and mix things up he's looked much more dangerous.

Anyhow this tournament was always going to be a learning experience for him and I think he will be able to take a lot away from it. I expect he will look significantly better if he plays in it again next year. Look no further then the amount of growth in Heinola's play this tournament vs last.

Reactions: DRC and JetsUK

mike the carpenter

Aug 2, 2020
Like any other Jets fan, I hope his game comes along but that is a seriously laboured skating stride he has. He’s had a mind for the game at the OHL level but the World Juniors are elite. If you can’t get from point A to point B fast enough, it doesn’t matter how fast the brain is working.

NHL hockey is north-south these days and it’s fast. I hope he comes along but I’d have some concerns if I were Chevy.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It would help some if he could play his game but hes clearly trying to play the straight line game his coach wants him to. The few times he's been able to go east west and mix things up he's looked much more dangerous.

Anyhow this tournament was always going to be a learning experience for him and I think he will be able to take a lot away from it. I expect he will look significantly better if he plays in it again next year. Look no further then the amount of growth in Heinola's play this tournament vs last.
Perfetti will have to adapt to a north south game and still be effective as that is the NHL landscape. NHL Defenceman will give you no room to go East West under most 5-5 circumstances. He seems like a hockey student and will adapt but it will likely take a year or 2.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Perfetti will have to adapt to a north south game and still be effective as that is the NHL landscape. NHL Defenceman will give you no room to go East West under most 5-5 circumstances. He seems like a hockey student and will adapt but it will likely take a year or 2.

There is room for some east west, its about finding the time and place to use it. Some teams utilize it more then others i.e there is a decent amount of east west and misdirection in the Lightning game plan.

But yes he will have to learn to be more direct as well especially if Maurice is still his coach.

Reactions: Bigfish

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Like any other Jets fan, I hope his game comes along but that is a seriously laboured skating stride he has. He’s had a mind for the game at the OHL level but the World Juniors are elite. If you can’t get from point A to point B fast enough, it doesn’t matter how fast the brain is working.

NHL hockey is north-south these days and it’s fast. I hope he comes along but I’d have some concerns if I were Chevy.
His skating has not looked not very good. Slow and laboured.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad