Player Discussion: Cole Perfetti 10th OA pick

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I know that we are all excited, and that those hoping for Perfetti to get into a game or two are mostly dreaming, but this will never happen.

If he gets into a game this year, something catastrophic has happened to the team. We are very deep at forward (especially C), if he jumped the queue over other players that would cause some bad feelings amongst other players, and, I don't think it's good for Cole, either.

Right now, he has an immense challenge, and that is making the jump from juniors to pro hockey. He should focus on that, and I'd believe that expectations have been set and he is firmly planted in reality.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Fair enough. I just think that our top two centres are likely set for the next three years at least. I don't want Perfetti to flounder in non-scoring lines just to wait his turn. I'm not saying he'll be another Nick Petan, but the guy was projected as high as fourth or fifth overall in a very deep draft. If he doesn't end up in the top two lines, I would be disappointed.
I think to take advantage of our sudden center depth, the Jets could look at changing their strategy of top 6 / bottom 6 to a top 9. We could certainly do it now.

Reactions: Mbraunm and hn777

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I know that we are all excited, and that those hoping for Perfetti to get into a game or two are mostly dreaming, but this will never happen.

If he gets into a game this year, something catastrophic has happened to the team. We are very deep at forward (especially C), if he jumped the queue over other players that would cause some bad feelings amongst other players, and, I don't think it's good for Cole, either.

Right now, he has an immense challenge, and that is making the jump from juniors to pro hockey. He should focus on that, and I'd believe that expectations have been set and he is firmly planted in reality.

He may get a game in at the end of the season if the Jets have a playoff spot locked up and want to rest some players. We saw that with Copp in 14-15.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny

Agree that there are definitely a few prospects more ready and deserving of looks, experience in NHL., ahead of n 18 year old Perfetti.
Vesalainen, Harkins, Gustafsson, ...no slight on Perfetti.

Reactions: Jet

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Agree that there are definitely a few prospects more ready and deserving of looks, experience in NHL., ahead of n 18 year old Perfetti.
Vesalainen, Harkins, Gustafsson, ...no slight on Perfetti.

Love Cole but he needs to develop in the AHL/CHL this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jet and Mbraunm

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Better than Cole's first goal is Murat's Twitter GIF usage :laugh: didn't realize he was using a different version of Rafiki holding up Simba (where he yeets him off Pride Rock). He was thinking it was simply Rafiki holding up Simba (Cole, to Jets fandom). Very funny mishap.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I think he's definitely ready for the AHL - don't think he can get much more out of the CHL, but it would be beyond stupid to have him with the Jets, especially considering how many really good forwards we have.
The issue comes next year. I would hate to see him go back to the CHL, but based on how small he still is, I doubt he'll be NHL ready next year either.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The issue comes next year. I would hate to see him go back to the CHL, but based on how small he still is, I doubt he'll be NHL ready next year either.

His size isn't at all an issue in the AHL so far. Given the way he plays just natural progression in terms of development might juat be all he needs heading into next season.

Reactions: Finster8

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
Just a question, was Wayne Gretzky or more similar in this case Doug Gilmour ever big enough or strong enough or fast enough to play in the nhl ? This kids strength and quickness is between his ears...

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Just a question, was Wayne Gretzky or more similar in this case Doug Gilmour ever big enough or strong enough or fast enough to play in the nhl ? This kids strength and quickness is between his ears...

Gilmour is an interesting comparable, have thought this for a while. If CP can develop his game to include the rubber-ball escape skills of a Gilmour while avoiding the low-down knife skills he's going to be fun too watch for a good long time. I honestly don't see him learning anything in the CHL going forward and I wonder whether they try to bring him in along the Ehlers track, knowing he's going to have some bumps along the way. Sure, he lacks the insane speed the Eel brought early but he's stronger on the puck with higher-end vision and puck skills, so it may be a wash. Hard to say, but he sure doesn't seem fazed in the AHL, although he's quite a ways to go before he dominates there.

Reactions: boydkc and surixon

DRC

WestJet
Feb 23, 2015
Vancouver Island
Whatever happens after this season, he'll definitely be battle hardened after this AHL season. Kid's going to come out a man no doubt. Couldn't ask for a better d1 developing season

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
Watched 5 of the 6 Moose periods on AHL TV

Some thoughts:

- Heinola is pretty much the same player we saw at the WJC, elusive skater, heads up, always makes a good pass, dump out is LAST option

- Samberg more quiet, not as noticeable (but not in a bad way) - just a steady DMAN that doesn't look out of place

Perfetti

This will be a rant! For the Marlies (Toronto AHL team) Nic Robertson (53rd overall 2019 draft) is a Sept 15 2001 birthday. He's barely three months older than Perfetti. He must be playing 25 mins per game because he's ALWAYS on the ice. To be honest, he's an amazing player. Unreal puck skills, creates offence every time he touches the puck, all over the ice.

Cole Perfetti - 4th line centre. The AHL isn't tracking time on ice, but I'd be surprised if he's playing more than 12 mins per game. If you want a heavy does of Graovac, Luoto, Suess, Reichel, Lynch, McKenzie, then you're in luck! It appears the Moose are playing to win games rather than develop their prospects.

I know, I know, a winning culture, earning your ice time, blah blah blah ... but hear me out!

The AHL season is a lost cause. 30% of the damn league opted not to play. They don't even have a schedule beyond the first 8 games! At most, they'll play 36 games. It's very unlikely they'll award the Calder Cup this year as the league won't have the resources for cross border playoff series and they won't create a bubble.

THIS IS AN EXHIBITION SEASON - STANDINGS DO NOT MATTER

With that as preamble, you have a 10th overall pick who just needs ice time. Don't worry about 'earning your spot'. Between NHL taxi squads / good europeans staying in Europe, the AHL has never been more watered down.

Look at the top 20 AHL scoring leaders: Seth Jarvis, Trevor Zegras, Jamie Drysdale, Tomasino, Thomas Harley, Peyton Krebs, etc ... Seems like other teams got the memo: play your youth!

Excuse my language, but why the F is 19 year old Perfetti limited to 4th line mins with two no name grinders at wing? Why is all our premium AHL ice going to *bubble NHL* C grade prospects (Suess / Graovac / Luoto / Reichel).

Just cram in as much gameplay as you possibly can for the blue chip prospects: Perfetti, Heinola and Samberg. I don't care what you do with the remaining ice time.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Watched 5 of the 6 Moose periods on AHL TV

Some thoughts:

- Heinola is pretty much the same player we saw at the WJC, elusive skater, heads up, always makes a good pass, dump out is LAST option

- Samberg more quiet, not as noticeable (but not in a bad way) - just a steady DMAN that doesn't look out of place

Perfetti

This will be a rant! For the Marlies (Toronto AHL team) Nic Robertson (53rd overall 2019 draft) is a Sept 15 2001 birthday. He's barely three months older than Perfetti. He must be playing 25 mins per game because he's ALWAYS on the ice. To be honest, he's an amazing player. Unreal puck skills, creates offence every time he touches the puck, all over the ice.

Cole Perfetti - 4th line centre. The AHL isn't tracking time on ice, but I'd be surprised if he's playing more than 12 mins per game. If you want a heavy does of Graovac, Luoto, Suess, Reichel, Lynch, McKenzie, then you're in luck! It appears the Moose are playing to win games rather than develop their prospects.

I know, I know, a winning culture, earning your ice time, blah blah blah ... but hear me out!

The AHL season is a lost cause. 30% of the damn league opted not to play. They don't even have a schedule beyond the first 8 games! At most, they'll play 36 games. It's very unlikely they'll award the Calder Cup this year as the league won't have the resources for cross border playoff series and they won't create a bubble.

THIS IS AN EXHIBITION SEASON - STANDINGS DO NOT MATTER

With that as preamble, you have a 10th overall pick who just needs ice time. Don't worry about 'earning your spot'. Between NHL taxi squads / good europeans staying in Europe, the AHL has never been more watered down.

Look at the top 20 AHL scoring leaders: Seth Jarvis, Trevor Zegras, Jamie Drysdale, Tomasino, Thomas Harley, Peyton Krebs, etc ... Seems like other teams got the memo: play your youth!

Excuse my language, but why the fu&*! does 19 year old Perfetti to play 4th line mins with two grinders at wingers? Why is all our premium AHL ice going to *bubble NHL* 3rd line grinders (Suess / Graovac / Luoto / Reichel).

Just cram in as much gameplay as you possibly can for the blue chip prospects: Perfetti, Heinola and Samberg. I don't care what you do with the remaining ice time.

I suspect Perfetti will start to get a lot more ice time soon. I imagine Vincent wants to integrate him slowly due to him playing center.

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
I suspect Perfetti will start to get a lot more ice time soon. I imagine Vincent wants to integrate him slowly due to him playing center.

Unfortunately, time isn't on their side. One team has a COVID outbreak and the entire Canadian division could be in jeopardy. This isn't the time to overthink integration - just play the blue chips. They have unlimited ice time for practices. True game play is at a premium this year, so give them big minutes. Honestly, everyone that's ever played will tell you that's the only way to learn - in the game ... not spectating from the bench ..

In my opinion, the entire 'raison d'etre' of the AHL is to develop grade A prospects. While it's nice to get bottom six serviceable players, those guys are a dime a dozen on the waiver wire, will sign for league minimum in the off season, and don't require massive development resources. They simply don't move the dial for an NHL franchise. Kyle Connor moves the dial. If he's 19/20 years old, you give him BIG MINUTES on the farm team. Dedicating top line mins to Luoto, Suess, etc does very little to impact a franchise. Doesn't mean they won't play in the NHL. They very well might. However, the same *type* of player is freely available via other avenues thus negating the need for in-house development.

All to say, the AHL solely exists so future stars have a 'bridge year' to play. If you're over 23 and still in the AHL, you're likely never going to be an impactful NHL player.

The only guys on the Moose now with that pedigree are Perfetti / Heinola / Samberg ...

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Gilmour is an interesting comparable, have thought this for a while. If CP can develop his game to include the rubber-ball escape skills of a Gilmour while avoiding the low-down knife skills he's going to be fun too watch for a good long time. I honestly don't see him learning anything in the CHL going forward and I wonder whether they try to bring him in along the Ehlers track, knowing he's going to have some bumps along the way. Sure, he lacks the insane speed the Eel brought early but he's stronger on the puck with higher-end vision and puck skills, so it may be a wash. Hard to say, but he sure doesn't seem fazed in the AHL, although he's quite a ways to go before he dominates there.

The way they used to evaluate players :shakehead Gilmour was taken 134th OA, that would be 5th rd today.

He scored 119 pts in 67 OHL games in his draft year. Compares well to CP at 111 pts in 61 games.
He seems to have learned something playing Jr in D+1. He scored 177 pts in 68 games. :laugh:
Gilmour had great PO performances in each of those years too. He then hit the ground running in D+2. 53 pts in 80 games for StL. Playing that 19 YO season in Jr didn't seem to hurt him. Not sure but I think they were drafting players 1 year older then than they are now. Either that or he wasn't drafted at all in his first year of eligibility. Gilmour turned 19 within a few days of the draft.

I don't think the Ehlers track is available now. They were not planning to contend,or even make the PO the year they brought him up.

Reactions: JetsUK

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
The way they used to evaluate players :shakehead Gilmour was taken 134th OA, that would be 5th rd today.

He scored 119 pts in 67 OHL games in his draft year. Compares well to CP at 111 pts in 61 games.
He seems to have learned something playing Jr in D+1. He scored 177 pts in 68 games. :laugh:
Gilmour had great PO performances in each of those years too. He then hit the ground running in D+2. 53 pts in 80 games for StL. Playing that 19 YO season in Jr didn't seem to hurt him. Not sure but I think they were drafting players 1 year older then than they are now. Either that or he wasn't drafted at all in his first year of eligibility. Gilmour turned 19 within a few days of the draft.

I don't think the Ehlers track is available now. They were not planning to contend,or even make the PO the year they brought him up.

Good post! I think we agree that CP should or will be Dougie Gilmour 2.0. Had forgotten how crazy his scoring was post-draft. Hated him on the Blues but man did I love him for the Leaves -- and he was a playoff warrior for sure.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Good post! I think we agree that CP should or will be Dougie Gilmour 2.0. Had forgotten how crazy his scoring was post-draft. Hated him on the Blues but man did I love him for the Leaves -- and he was a playoff warrior for sure.

I had a little fun looking at the way they traded players back then too. 5 players for 4. Then 1 of each of those packages included in another bundle within a few days or a couple of weeks. Trades left and right, all over the place - and lopsided values all over the place too.

But the drafting was the most obviously bad. We wonder at a Brayden Point being left until the 3rd rd or a Kucherov going 58 OA, but they used to have a lot more high picks bust and late picks thrive than what we see today. They really didn't know what they were doing. A lot of it was size bias, but not all by any means.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Drafting back in the day isn’t nearly as “easy” as it is now.

back then there was less scouts, pretty much all games are recorded now and that wasn’t the case back then, usually if you didn’t have a scout at the game you didn’t get to see how a player was, on top of that the games that were recorded were just a blurry mess that you really couldn’t see much of anyways.

Obviously since then the game has changed and what scouts are looking for in a player has evolved into more than just points and size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad