OT: Cole & Honour's House of Fashion: Please take your loafers off at the door

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
No, it was a Navy position. Solar Turbines wasn't really hiring right now from what I could tell, I didn't see many positions that fit my level.

I really liked what I heard when I was discussing with them, but I just don't think they'll make it work for me financially unless they're really desperate. I'm going to ask for an $88k-$91k salary (they listed their maximum at $93k, the minimum I'd get is I believe $86k) with relocation costs (likely around $4k), a $10k signing bonus, tuition reimbursement for my last semester (which the company does offer) and a mid-January start date. I don't think any of those are unreasonable asks individually, but I'm skeptical they'll hit all of them.

For anyone familiar with how the general scale works with government work, I believe this position is a GS-12 and the minimum they'd offer is GS-12 step 1. I'd ask for GS-12 step 2 or step 3, and those pays are standardized and available online.

Are you already federal?

Federal jobs typically offer no wiggle. You start where you start - but they may concede a step or two like you said. If you are not federal, ask for the moon because you'll never get another chance. Once you get placed in your spot, you'll work through your steps from that point on until you bounce to another position or leave for the private sector.

I've been in the federal gov for 10 years. I watch guys come in off the street and immediate start where I am because they ask for it even though they aren't even 1/100th as qualified as me.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Oh dude! The biggest workout lie of all time. "I CAN'T BULK UP!" but everyone wants the athletic look. Which is actually tremendous lean muscle.

That would get me to argue 24/7. :laugh:
Don't even get me started on that. I've been weight training for years and I'm not "bulky". Another big one is "what exercise can I do to target stomach fat?"

Or even worse, the "you're just lucky to be in shape, you don't understand how hard it is to lose weight" comments by my own family members. Did you forget I was a fat kid from the ages of 7 to 17? That I'm only 5'7" and played offensive line in high school football? I guess my healthy eating habits/lifestyle plus weight training 6 days a week since then is just being blessed with good genetics. :facepalm:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I could rant about jogging for hours. What is better than an ineffective workout that also puts a lot of strain on your hips and knees?

If you love jogging and get "runner's high", do it. If you hate jogging - NEVER do it. Go for a walk and do something you love (swim, yoga, lifting, sports, jump rope, hiit, crossfit, gymnastics, mma, anything)

I am in my early-30's and have become really out of shape in the last few years. I bought a pair of roller blade and took them for a spin around. It is absolutely amazing how quickly skating muscles atrophy and feet soften up when you aren't in ice skates all the time. I have been scouring the internet for something to wrap my feet in because they are getting tore up.

Yeah I got one of those stupid Peloton bikes and she used it for a month and now it just sits there and I hate riding stationary bikes so I begrudgingly use it because now I own this bloody thing and she wanted it and says it's too intimidating. Then she yells at me in Vietnamese.

My girlfriend and I have a Peloton. I like the premise, but I'm not a huge fan of the instructors - I don't need the positivity fluff. I have never really ridden a road bike type seat, as the last real bikes I rode were the BMX type bikes when I was a kid. I obviously don't know how to sit on the thing because it actually bruises(?) my ass to the point I have to take days off. Still trying to figure out posture and how to sit on the seat for an extended period of time.

Reactions: ColePens

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I just got a solid 11 hours of sleep after a super long week out of town for work. Solid start to my week off.

Our poor dog Kyla has been progressively getting out on more meds. After 3 immunosuppressants weren't getting her red blood count back up (it was enough to stay even after a transfusion but not climb) we just got her spleen taken out. Poor thing is down about 15 lbs out of her 52 to start. Still Need to wait a few days to see if she's improved or not sadly.

Glad I got that sleep because my wife has been waking up with her at night for her meds and taking her out. Now it's my turn to tag in.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Don't even get me started on that. I've been weight training for years and I'm not "bulky". Another big one is "what exercise can I do to target stomach fat?"

Or even worse, the "you're just lucky to be in shape, you don't understand how hard it is to lose weight" comments by my own family members. Did you forget I was a fat kid from the ages of 7 to 17? That I'm only 5'7" and played offensive line in high school football? I guess my healthy eating habits/lifestyle plus weight training 6 days a week since then is just being blessed with good genetics. :facepalm:

Ahhh dude the amazing fitness arguments that hold zero truth. I'm sure you and I could do a 5 hour podcast with gripes.

I may have to post pictures of my home gym. I am a Rogue fan... their shit is so damn good. So i finally just went all in with full DB set, squat rack, KBs, full plate set, etc. It has legit changed my life. I never have to wait to get a rack. I never have to worry about time i'm spending. I also made the basement motivational with some artwork and also put a couple chairs/tv for a relaxing sitdown if needed. I'll have to post pictures.

You rock the home gym or have you been going to the gym during the pandemic?

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Ahhh dude the amazing fitness arguments that hold zero truth. I'm sure you and I could do a 5 hour podcast with gripes.

I may have to post pictures of my home gym. I am a Rogue fan... their shit is so damn good. So i finally just went all in with full DB set, squat rack, KBs, full plate set, etc. It has legit changed my life. I never have to wait to get a rack. I never have to worry about time i'm spending. I also made the basement motivational with some artwork and also put a couple chairs/tv for a relaxing sitdown if needed. I'll have to post pictures.

You rock the home gym or have you been going to the gym during the pandemic?
Home gym, I started acquiring the equipment a few years back long before the pandemic. I just wish my "gym" was bigger but it works. I've got a squat rack with lat pulldown attachment, bench, plates and dumbbells sets, kettlebells, etc.. and a rowing machine for cardio.

I'm getting a cold at the moment and we're tent camping next weekend so I'm struggling with should I continue to work out or do the smart thing and rest up to get over this quick.... I hate not working out though, even if 90% of the time I don't feel like working out going in. In fact, almost every thing I really enjoy doing and I'm passionate about I have a love/hate relationship with because they tend to be very uncomfortable and difficult at times.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
It feels weird not pre-ordering either of the new consoles despite the fact that I've only ever pre-ordered one console ever.

Weirder still is the notion that the computer I bought a couple months ago is going to be my primary means of gaming for the next year or so...making this the first time sitting in a computer chair is the default over a couch and my back already hurts more than usual :laugh:

Crusader Kings III has had an odd grasp on me the past few weeks considering historically there's few subjects that bore me as much as medieval Europe, but constantly having the Pope declare holy wars on Finland because my people refuse to put on clothes just feels right.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I feel f***ing great. I was getting 4-5 hours (in a hotel) all week and working 12-14. I got back to my own bed and was just out.

AssuredWelloffCirriped-size_restricted.gif

Sometimes the body and mind just needs to check out for half a day. Good luck with everything on your plate, that's a lot.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I am in my early-30's and have become really out of shape in the last few years. I bought a pair of roller blade and took them for a spin around. It is absolutely amazing how quickly skating muscles atrophy and feet soften up when you aren't in ice skates all the time. I have been scouring the internet for something to wrap my feet in because they are getting tore up.

My girlfriend and I have a Peloton. I like the premise, but I'm not a huge fan of the instructors - I don't need the positivity fluff. I have never really ridden a road bike type seat, as the last real bikes I rode were the BMX type bikes when I was a kid. I obviously don't know how to sit on the thing because it actually bruises(?) my ass to the point I have to take days off. Still trying to figure out posture and how to sit on the seat for an extended period of time.
Mate you can always get those gel insert for the seats at a bike shop. It pops on like a seat condom.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Imagine my f***ing shock and surprise when that weird internet bloke with weird memes is Joji and he's got some pretty damn decent talent.

Is also this f***ing bloke...

Pink_guy.jpg

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I just bought 3 months of beachbody on demand and uhhhh...so many programs, think I will start off with what I know (Insanity) but Core de Force looks interesting.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I just bought 3 months of beachbody on demand and uhhhh...so many programs, think I will start off with what I know (Insanity) but Core de Force looks interesting.

HUUUGE Shaun T fan. I think they are easy to do. I would recommend instead of following a program, just do a couple different ones 3x a week. That's an AWESOME start. If you do that.. you will have longevity in this fitness game. If you are already strong in the game, then i recommend following a program.

I just caution if anyone is new (i don't know your level) to NOT do 6 day a week programs. Man... people will walk away from it on one bad day. So just getting active 2-3 days a week is a massive win.

Step by step, inch by inch. That's what makes gains.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
HUUUGE Shaun T fan. I think they are easy to do. I would recommend instead of following a program, just do a couple different ones 3x a week. That's an AWESOME start. If you do that.. you will have longevity in this fitness game. If you are already strong in the game, then i recommend following a program.

I just caution if anyone is new (i don't know your level) to NOT do 6 day a week programs. Man... people will walk away from it on one bad day. So just getting active 2-3 days a week is a massive win.

Step by step, inch by inch. That's what makes gains.

Ok 3 days a week it is for a little while and I followed a 21 day 10 minute meditation program. I am at 199 (5'10) right now, used to be 165 a few years ago but...shit happens and with covid I don't wanna go to a gym, hell I don't wanna go to a gym period. I want that body weight/calisthenics life so I need to work towards it.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Ok 3 days a week it is for a little while and I followed a 21 day 10 minute meditation program. I am at 199 (5'10) right now, used to be 165 a few years ago but...shit happens and with covid I don't wanna go to a gym, hell I don't wanna go to a gym period. I want that body weight/calisthenics life so I need to work towards it.

The #1 thing I always see is people go all-in. They go all in and things are working. Then one holiday or bad weekend makes them quit. They never just get back on the horse and keep positive flowing.

So i always tell people starting off.. just do 1-2 times a week. Build your way to 3. Start building health habits. DO NOT GO ALL IN DIETING. Just make smarter choices here/there and build. Those small wins turn into huge game changing factors.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
The #1 thing I always see is people go all-in. They go all in and things are working. Then one holiday or bad weekend makes them quit. They never just get back on the horse and keep positive flowing.

So i always tell people starting off.. just do 1-2 times a week. Build your way to 3. Start building health habits. DO NOT GO ALL IN DIETING. Just make smarter choices here/there and build. Those small wins turn into huge game changing factors.
Oh I been doing keto for a few years now off and on. Went from 230-165 in like 5 months and fell off once my pops went to hospital and been on and off of it since. Went to 210, down to 199. Did Insanity like 4-5 years ago and dropped 50 pounds on it, done P90 and P90X, focus t25, etc now I just bike somewhat but getting older now (36) and really just need to stop being a POS and just get into shape. Thinking of getting back into hiking again in the short term until it's cold and gross out there and do things inside during those days.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

That’s they key with changing things “HABITS”. Goals are good but it’s the habits that will get you there. Once the brain creates those pathways it gets easier to stick to things. Agree not all at once. Start slow. If it’s diet related try healthier dinners and once you can manage that incorporate the other meals. Use MyFitnessPal to track the calories.

For exercise I do the step count thing which is real easy with the iPhone health app.

Leave notes or reminders for things that aren’t an everyday thing so you don’t forget to help build the habit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad