OT: Cole & Honour's House of Fashion: Please take your loafers off at the door

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Nice.

Is this, by chance, Solar?

No, it was a Navy position. Solar Turbines wasn't really hiring right now from what I could tell, I didn't see many positions that fit my level.

I really liked what I heard when I was discussing with them, but I just don't think they'll make it work for me financially unless they're really desperate. I'm going to ask for an $88k-$91k salary (they listed their maximum at $93k, the minimum I'd get is I believe $86k) with relocation costs (likely around $4k), a $10k signing bonus, tuition reimbursement for my last semester (which the company does offer) and a mid-January start date. I don't think any of those are unreasonable asks individually, but I'm skeptical they'll hit all of them.

For anyone familiar with how the general scale works with government work, I believe this position is a GS-12 and the minimum they'd offer is GS-12 step 1. I'd ask for GS-12 step 2 or step 3, and those pays are standardized and available online.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Has anyone been to the Pittsburgh zoo in the last few weeks? My brother and his family are coming into town at the start of October and I'm trying to get a list of "safe" activities we can do.

I know when @Jaded-Fan went when it opened it was a bit of a fiasco. And I don't think my brother would take too kindly to that.

I'm also thinking of doing a Carrie Furnace tour. That's limited to 15 people per group.

Reactions: BHD

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Ugh, finished having my car serviced.
Mine was done Friday, first full service for the new car. 40k km on the clock and the front brakes are down to 3mm.

Before I bought it was a hire car with Enterprise so obviously people didn't give a shit how they drove it. Not going to pay $600+ that the dealer wants. I said I would go the dealer way for repairs as this is a 2019 car but seriously, $130 an hour for labour, f*** off. I'll go to the local guys down the road and pay $85.

It is under warranty for 5 years so anything like that will go to the dealer.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
How so? What did you need done?

I agreed for them to install two(!) new callipers for my vehicle. Just one costs a gross amount (~$700). I sensed some issue with my brakes, but my vehicle passed inspection a few weeks ago. I could sense something wasn't right, but I didn't feel comfortable driving around with possibly faulty brakes. So, I agree to the service. Fine. However, I would have to pay an arm and leg to see the parts afterward.

They had me when they brought the issue to my attention over the phone. I got suckered. f***.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I agreed for them to install two(!) new callipers for my vehicle. Just one costs a gross amount (~$700). I sensed some issue with my brakes, but my vehicle passed inspection a few weeks ago. I could sense something wasn't right, but I didn't feel comfortable driving around with possibly faulty brakes. So, I agree to the service. Fine. However, I would have to pay an arm and leg to see the parts afterward.

They had me when they brought the issue to my attention over the phone. I got suckered. f***.

I'm not sure 100% your situation but id never be like "hey, look at the breaks I feel something is wrong" you leave the window open for them to make some shit up. Just get them to inspect the whole vehicle and see what they say and then get a receipt or in writing. Then if your breaks go bad in a week or so might be able to hold them liable.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

This is why I'm glad my Dad and Uncle taught me how to fix stuff on cars myself. I once had a bloke tell me my timing belt needed to be repaired and I needed new cv joints. It's too bad he didn't know it had a timing chain and the cv joint in question was just the left front wheel which I knew going in. He quoted me 3,500. I got it all fixed (just the cv joint) for 200 after a mate let me use his garage to do it myself and it was just parts and whatever I used at the garage.

I'd also invest on a OBD-II checker that let's you see engine warning issues in full detail and what the mechanics might try to rip you off on.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I'm not sure 100% your situation but id never be like "hey, look at the breaks I feel something is wrong" you leave the window open for them to make some shit up. Just get them to inspect the whole vehicle and see what they say and then get a receipt or in writing. Then if your breaks go bad in a week or so might be able to hold them liable.

I dropped the car for annual maintenance in the afternoon, they called me back later that day and said they needed to be replaced. I was not on site while everything was being done - another lapse in judgment. I took the invoice to the place that did the inspection (trusted all over town), and the guy shook his head while reading it. The issue (among other things) was exaggerated in order to get me to pay significantly extra.

f***ing life lessons.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
And they will take you for quite the ride, they'll either say....

All of your brakes are done.
Your rotors are warped and need new ones or else it can be catastrophic.
Your calipers are in need of replacement

Or they'll play up even more bs - The bearings are f***ed up and need to be replaced, it's messed up your shocks, etc.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's crazy how you don't realize how much useless stuff you have until you start posting stuff for sale on Craigslist.

I put like a dozen things up for sale on Craigslist tonight asking for like $500 in total (thinks like old laptop, beer brewing set, furniture and whatnot) and I don't even think that took a dent out of my total stuff. And I don't even think I have a lot of stuff either :laugh:

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I dropped the car for annual maintenance in the afternoon, they called me back later that day and said they needed to be replaced. I was not on site while everything was being done - another lapse in judgment. I took the invoice to the place that did the inspection (trusted all over town), and the guy shook his head while reading it. The issue (among other things) was exaggerated in order to get me to pay significantly extra.

f***ing life lessons.

Sorry to hear man. I think a lot of reliable places are moving towards shady tactics to stay afloat during these times as well. I had a place try to do something to me.

It might be worth it to go make a scene when they are busy. All they can say is no.

And they will take you for quite the ride, they'll either say....

All of your brakes are done.
Your rotors are warped and need new ones or else it can be catastrophic.
Your calipers are in need of replacement

Or they'll play up even more bs - The bearings are f***ed up and need to be replaced, it's messed up your shocks, etc.

Exactly, I'm always wary of car stuff. Multiple opinions if I can.

Reactions: BHD

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sorry to hear man. I think a lot of reliable places are moving towards shady tactics to stay afloat during these times as well. I had a place try to do something to me.

It might be worth it to go make a scene when they are busy. All they can say is no.

Exactly, I'm always wary of car stuff. Multiple opinions if I can.
It's never too late to learn about your vehicle as well, mate. In terms of repairs and what not. I still prefer to do some myself, but the more electronic based things get, the more I am glad I did know about the inner workings of cars and mechanical work, because even if you need more tools now to remove things to get to the issue, you can still diagnose it fairly competently with things available to understand the technical and electric part of the vehicle.

I hate those quick oil change wankers as well, where they try to gauge your knowledge and then trick people into thinking their air filter needs to be changed and other fluids in the vehicle that they could never check as quickly as they pretended to check your oil and filter.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

f***ing life lessons.

Reminds me of that episode of Seinfeld where George and Jerry are talking about how mechanics can just make up names for things because the average person has no clue. That's how I feel whenever I bring my car in.

"Oh, I guess I better get the middle decompression box fixed before the gyro rod busts completely, then. Good thing I brought my car in for an oil change and you noticed that! And it will only cost me $3,000 with this store coupon? Fantastic!"

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.

I just had to get a caliber replaced on my truck. I had it for almost 10 years, but now the repairs aren't worth it. I commute half an hour each way to work every day so I need something reliable. I sold my old boat and just sold my truck. My original plan was to buy a new truck and boat but considering I don't fish nearly as often as I used to, there's no way I'm dropping over $100,000 combined on those vehicles. So I bought myself a new little car (Crosstrek) with some good ground clearance and AWD which is a necessity since I live out in the sticks. It feels weird not having a truck and there will be a few times I'll miss having that truck bed but I like not driving a gas guzzling vehicle for a change.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

this is a friend of mine and his son...lots of raccoons in SF escaping a coyote it looks like

Reactions: That1Kid

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I just couldn't get into B:cotM at all. And I'm a dude who loves his classic Castlevanias.

On the other hand, I'm absolutely loving Blasphemous-- the art style is great, the soundtrack's good, and the gameplay is an above-average Metroidvania.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
Leaving this without comment.

Attachments

• 44h3qm.jpg
    44h3qm.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 5
Status
Not open for further replies.