Cole Caufield potential.

What is Cole Caufield potential?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
He's actually surprised me. He has looked better than i thought he would. All you heard was about his goal scoring ability. Jesus his passing is excellent. When was the last time that we saw a kid come out of college and basically straight into the playoffs and perform as good as he has?
At #15 the steal of the 1st rd and probably the whole draft.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
He's actually surprised me. He has looked better than i thought he would. All you heard was about his goal scoring ability. Jesus his passing is excellent. When was the last time that we saw a kid come out of college and basically straight into the playoffs and perform as good as he has?
Makar.

I had some concerns over how Caufield's game would transfer, but he has put those to rest. What a year for him, between WJC gold, Hobey Baker, and making the impact he has.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

He's unreal. Even at the college level his size must have been a big disadvantage. I'm sure he developed his insane hockey IQ to overcome it. And the only things other teams know on him apparently is that he has a laser of a shot, so they pay special attention to it - and he answered masterfully by adapting his game!

He doesn't have a Backstrom to take the attention away and make beautiful plays. He doesn't have Ovechkin's bull strength to power through the opposition. But he has hands and a brain, and when all the attention is on him, I think he realizes that there's an open Toffoli or Suzuki somewhere.

Reactions: draft day

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I'm not sure what his potential production is, wouldn't surprise me if he had some 80-90 point years, but not guaranteed. I think he's a regular 30-40 goal scorer though. The type of skill injection the Habs needed badly. Habs took advantage of a lot of teams making poor picks prior in the 2019 draft.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'm not sure what his potential production is, wouldn't surprise me if he had some 80-90 point years, but not guaranteed. I think he's a regular 30-40 goal scorer though. The type of skill injection the Habs needed badly. Habs took advantage of a lot of teams making poor picks prior in the 2019 draft.

Can you specify which picks were bad?

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Can you specify which picks were bad?
Maybe 'bad' is harsh. I think Caufield should have went 5-10 in that draft. Literally unprecedented goal scoring in his draft year. I think Caufield is clearly a better prospect than Broberg, Podkolzin, and Soderstrom. The only players after the top 5 who I think are better or comparable to Caufield right now are Seider, Cozens, Zegras, Boldy, and Knight. Too many teams passed on him. I'm a Leafs fan by the way, and did not like Montreal getting him one bit at 15.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Maybe 'bad' is harsh. I think Caufield should have went 5-10 in that draft. Literally unprecedented goal scoring in his draft year. I think Caufield is clearly a better prospect than Broberg, Podkolzin, and Soderstrom. The only players after the top 5 who I think are better or comparable to Caufield right now are Seider, Cozens, Zegras, Boldy, and Knight. Too many teams passed on him. I'm a Leafs fan by the way, and did not like Montreal getting him one bit at 15.

Makes up for Pastrnak going 1 pick ahead of us (at 25!!!) to BOSTON.. we ended up with Scherbak. That's how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
It's honestly looking like 50g, 100 point potential is a possibility. Elite potential in goal-scoring, playmaking, and hockey sense. Good speed, capable defensively, and makes up for his lack of size and physicality with tenacity and shiftiness. Doesn't shy away from the dirty areas - can get in to dig pucks out, and get out quickly unscathed. Great pick, finally.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's honestly looking like 50g, 100 point potential is a possibility. Elite potential in goal-scoring, playmaking, and hockey sense. Good speed, capable defensively, and makes up for his lack of size and physicality with tenacity and shiftiness. Doesn't shy away from the dirty areas - can get in to dig pucks out, and get out quickly unscathed. Great pick, finally.

So you are asserting he has HOF potential because he had 13 points in his first 24 games? You realize that’s merely good, not historically elite.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
We should do this again next year but include the option to vote for 90-100 points.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
How many players who score 50G, 100 points aren’t in the HOF?
[mod] Saying a player looks like he may have the potential to reach that production isn't the same as saying they are that right now, which is what you're claiming I said. What's your deal? You realize there are going to be more of these players right?

Last edited by a moderator:

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Holy over reaction Batman

List of players who have scored 50 goals and 100 points in a season, in the past 9 years:
It’s been done once, by Draisaitl. That’s it.

But yeah for sure buddy, Caufield will totally do that.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
DeBrincat 2.0 seemed obvious from his draft year.

I took this as 'peak potential' so I voted 70-80, though I'd say 50-60 & 60-70 is more realistic.

I don't think he'll drive a team's offense, but could definitely be relied upon for 30 goals (give or take) & be a multi-time 40 goal scorer.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
How would u know?

Why did he do to show that he has 100 pt potential?

Players who hit 100 pts in the last 15 years:
Crosby, Draisaitl, Kane, kucherov, Marchand, Mcdavid, Giroux, Malkin, Sedin twins, Ovechkin, and Backstrom.

If Caufield goes near ppg next season, then you can start making that argument, but right now its ludicrous to think that Caufield will end up as good as the players mentionned above.

The only prospects who gets to have 100 pt potential before playing in the nhl are those that are considered ultra special like Mcdavid and Bedard.

Reactions: The Moose is Loose

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Why did he do to show that he has 100 pt potential?

Players who hit 100 pts in the last 15 years:
Crosby, Draisaitl, Kane, kucherov, Marchand, Mcdavid, Giroux, Malkin, Sedin twins, Ovechkin, and Backstrom.

If Caufield goes near ppg next season, then you can start making that argument, but right now its ludicrous to think that Caufield will end up as good as the players mentionned above.

The only prospects who gets to have 100 pt potential before playing in the nhl are those that are considered ultra special like Mcdavid and Bedard.
I don't know what to expect but what i do know is that he's à special talent and spécial talent like him tend to do very well. Also nobody expected players like kuch, point, gaudreau and so on to hit 100 points or near that.

I would say it would be dumb to think caufield scoring 100 is a 0% chance

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I don't know what to expect but what i do know is that he's à special talent and spécial talent like him tend to do very well. Also nobody expected players like kuch, point, gaudreau and so on to hit 100 points or near that.

I would say it would be dumb to think caufield scoring 100 is a 0% chance

If thats your argument, then I guess you think that any high end prospects/young player has 100 pts potential?

The Lafreniere, Byfield, Caufield, Zegras, Kakko, Svechnikov, Suzuki, Newhook, Farabee, etc. all have 100 pts potential?

At that point the word potential becomes meaningless. The word potential should only be used if that player has a decent chance to reach it, not if he has a 5% chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad