Cole Caufield potential.

What is Cole Caufield potential?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
ok so is Hyman a top line forward? Because he has paced for 28 goals and 55 pts per 82 games the last 3 seasons. He's 91st in Pts/Game among forwards who played at least 82 games since 2018-19

Gallagher has paced for 32 goals and 55 pts per 82 games the last 4 seasons (so very similar to Hyman). He's also 91st in Pts/Game among forwards who played at least 82 games since 2017-18

Are Anders Lee, Bryan Rust, Viktor Arvidsson, Chris Kreider, James van Riemsdyk, Rickard Rakell, Tomas Tatar, Ondrej Palat, Jason Zucker, Dustin Brown, Timo Meier, Patric Hornqvist all top-line forwards to you? If you asnwer yes, then ok.

Like I said, Gallagher is a great player for various reasons, a good top-6 forward who is good at scoring dirty goals and create havoc around the other team's net, but if you want to call him a top-line forward, it's up to you. I certainly don't have to.

A few examples of top-line forwards (to me) : Filip Forsberg, David Perron, Brock Boeser, Vladimir Tarasenko, Jake Guentzel, Alex DeBrincat, Max Pacioretty, Nikolaj Ehlers...

Again, Gallagher is great but I don't see him at that level.

You can make your own definition for top line forward if you'd like I guess but logic would dictate the top 31 players at each position would be top line players. Among RWs over the past 4 seasons Gallagher is 5th in goals and 24th in points.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Cherry-picking Connor Brown's best season to compare with Gallagher's career stats isn't making a great argument either.

Cherry picking? I took 2 seasons. In Hyman's case, I took 3 seasons... Is it still cherry picking? And selecting Gallagher's 4 years peak is not? 4 seasons vs 2 or 3 seasons is such a big difference that one is cherry picking and the other is not? Sigh.

You can make your own definition for top line forward if you'd like I guess but logic would dictate the top 31 players at each position would be top line players. Among RWs over the past 4 seasons Gallagher is 5th in goals and 24th in points.

See below

Scoring 30+ goals consistently (or when avoiding broken fingers, and pacing for it)

Makes you a top line forward generally speaking as only about 30-40 players do it every year. So whenever healthy scoring that or scoring at that pace certainly makes you a top line forward.

Secondly, hockey is about more than just points. Gallagher plays on one of the most effective shutdown lines in hockey while being a 30 goal guy. So he scores and opposition does not.

Already addressed all this, not going to repeat and waste more time on this. I don't need to be told "hockey is about more than just points", so when I read that sort, the discussion starts becoming stupid to me.. Just by saying "Gallagher is a great player for various reasons" made it obvious that I consider more than points and avoid getting that type of stupid stereotype.

But I still haven't seen an answer though... Are these guys all "top line forwards" too?

Zach Hyman, Anders Lee, Bryan Rust, Viktor Arvidsson, Chris Kreider, James van Riemsdyk, Rickard Rakell, Tomas Tatar, Ondrej Palat, Jason Zucker, Dustin Brown, Timo Meier, Patric Hornqvist

Is Gallagher clearly in a tier above them?

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
Cherry picking? I took 2 seasons. In Hyman's case, I took 3 seasons... Is it still cherry picking? And selecting Gallagher's 4 years peak is not? 4 seasons vs 2 or 3 seasons is such a big difference that one is cherry picking and the other is not? Sigh.

Look at his whole career then if you need to. Since Gally entered the league he's 11th in goals and 20th in points among RW. Without ever playing beside a true star forward. I just don't see any way he doesn't make the cut for top 30 at his position.

But I still haven't seen an answer though... Are these guys all "top line forwards" too?

Zach Hyman, Anders Lee, Bryan Rust, Viktor Arvidsson, Chris Kreider, James van Riemsdyk, Rickard Rakell, Tomas Tatar, Ondrej Palat, Jason Zucker, Dustin Brown, Timo Meier, Patric Hornqvist

Is Gallagher clearly in a tier above them?

Some of these guys are/were certainly first line players.

Reactions: Walrus26

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Look at his whole career then if you need to. Since Gally entered the league he's 11th in goals and 20th in points among RW. Without ever playing beside a true star forward. I just don't see any way he doesn't make the cut for top 30 at his position.

I don't disagree, Gallagher is an excellent winger and he impacts the game more than his points, as a "complementary" top winger. Pretty much like Zach Hyman and another guy I haven't named yet, Brady Tkachuk.

What I'm trying to say is that these guys are not 1st liners by themselves like a Filip Forsberg for example. They're simply not in the same tier in terms of talent and play driving.

But like Brady or Hyman, Brendan impacts the game in several ways. Brady is pretty young and has a career pace of 25 goals/52 pts per 82 games so far. It's a bit less goals but very close to Gallagher's peak output. Despite everything that Brady brings (as you could see in games vs Montreal this season, he's as strong as an ox), I wouldn't call him anywhere close to a top liner just yet and not many would on the Sens board...

Some of these guys are/were certainly first line players.

Ok but what does that make of the other tier forwards I named? Elite forwards?

Filip Forsberg, David Perron, Brock Boeser, Vladimir Tarasenko, Jake Guentzel, Alex DeBrincat, Max Pacioretty, Nikolaj Ehlers...

Then, what are the guys above these guys? And then in the other tier above?

I mean, it's maybe all semantics, but if guys like Hyman, Gallagher and Tkachuk (of now) are top line forwards, then there's a lot of top line forwards. That's why I call them top-6 forwards and I reserve the term "top line forwards" to play drivers

But ok if you disagree

Reactions: the paisanos guy

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Since the poll options asked "per season" and not just "at his absolute peak", I went with the 60-70 point range. Very, very few players produce more than 70 points every single season. So while I think he's got the potential to score higher than 70 points in a given season or two, I don't think he'll do that every season of his prime to qualify as "per season".

If this was about his peak, then I could see a 40-ish goal, 80-ish point season or two. Otherwise, on average in his prime I think he'll flirt with 30-ish goals and 60+ points.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I don't disagree, Gallagher is an excellent winger and he impacts the game more than his points, as a "complementary" top winger. Pretty much like Zach Hyman and another guy I haven't named yet, Brady Tkachuk.

What I'm trying to say is that these guys are not 1st liners by themselves like a Filip Forsberg for example. They're simply not in the same tier in terms of talent and play driving.

But like Brady or Hyman, Brendan impacts the game in several ways. Brady is pretty young and has a career pace of 25 goals/52 pts per 82 games so far. It's a bit less goals but very close to Gallagher's peak output. Despite everything that Brady brings (as you could see in games vs Montreal this season, he's as strong as an ox), I wouldn't call him anywhere close to a top liner just yet and not many would on the Sens board...

Ok but what does that make of the other tier forwards I named? Elite forwards?

Filip Forsberg, David Perron, Brock Boeser, Vladimir Tarasenko, Jake Guentzel, Alex DeBrincat, Max Pacioretty, Nikolaj Ehlers...

Then, what are the guys above these guys? And then in the other tier above?

I mean, it's maybe all semantics, but if guys like Hyman, Gallagher and Tkachuk (of now) are top line forwards, then there's a lot of top line forwards. That's why I call them top-6 forwards and I reserve the term "top line forwards" to play drivers

But ok if you disagree

You think Hyman scores at that same pace without Marner and Mathews? Brady is a solid second line player that is still improving Hyman is a second/3rd line tweener that will not get better

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He will be an awesome player. Voted 80-90. I don’t think he will be an 80-90 point player, but he could be.

I see him as a 40 goal 30 assist guy at his peak.
Pretty much this so I voted as such and see him scoring 120 goals and 210 points in his 3 year peak...maybe a little higher if everything goes perfectly.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
His talent and game remind me of Gary Leeman. If he brings with that a better attitude, he will have a better career.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
I’d say about 5’7” goals and 5’7” assists for 11’2” points. Don’t ask me how many metric points that is.

Reactions: jjr922

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I voted 60-70.... Id never expect a Habs player to be a PPG player in Montreal so I'm not going to predict he becomes that but he certainly has the talent for it. Sky's the limit for this dude haven't had a prospect like him in decades

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I’d say about 5’7” goals and 5’7” assists for 11’2” points. Don’t ask me how many metric points that is.
Does 7 + 7 = 12 in the imperial system? :sarcasm:

Obviously kidding, but it does get confusing as a Canadian. We're metric for most things, but use inches/feet for measuring height of people.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Does 7 + 7 = 12 in the imperial system? :sarcasm:

Obviously kidding, but it does get confusing as a Canadian. We're metric for most things, but use inches/feet for measuring height of people.

how tall are u, oh I’m 176cm tall, sounds ridiculously lol

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Actually, it's 1.76 and it's only ridiculous because you're not use to it.

Obviously, the metric system is good for precious guns, but not for height...

I’m Canadian and a journeyman carpenter who rarely uses metric other than the odd commercial site. Metric system is superior. Some things it’s just weird to use for tho for some reason. But ya 5280 feet in a mile, that’s the dumbest thing lol.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I’ve seen few more polarizing players who aren’t very polarizing. Caufield will be a good top six forward. He won’t be great. He’s not boom/bust. He has a track record of scoring goals at every level, but he’s not going to be an elite skater or elite playmaker or elite defensive player. He’ll score goals to be a top six forward and won’t be a liability elsewhere, but you really shouldn’t expect any more than league average ability in other parts of the game.

Think this kid can outscore Kakko and be a top 6 in this league. 30/30 and perhaps a few point per game seasons. Certainly getting some great experience playing in the Post season.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Suzuki is showing flashes of #1C potential, but hes not there at the moment.

Sure, but if we're looking at Cole Caufield's potential then that'll be when Suzuki is also in his prime and he looks on track to be a 1C possibly as soon as next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad