Player Discussion Cole Caufield - Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clippy

Sep 22, 2011
Scoring goals in the regular season is not the same as scoring goals in the playoffs. Which is why I got not issue playing proven regular season stud Tomas Tatar with Gallagher even though he is not an NHL forward in the playoffs. Ducharme is a whole new level of bad.
If anything this mentality is detrimental to Caufield by making him doubt his talent and erode his self-confidence going into the playoffs. That's the last thing you want to do.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Absolutely not and it's not close. Tatar had a down year but his underlying numbers are still excellent. If that line is healthy it will be puck dominant. Caufield was outscored against weak lines.

don't disagree completely... but what Tatar brings outside of scoring is replaceable... the dimension CC adds, in particular, if he were put on the 1st PP wave and then used at ES on a line deployed largely in opportune situations (o-zone starts, vs opposing 4th lines), he's a more valuable asset to work with than Tatar imo.

it's a given that Danault-Gallagher need to go up against the opposing top line as much as possible (with Byron? Armia? even Lekhonen at the other wing) and that Danault's line isn't going to be providing much offense anyways for what they give up in being completely shut-down focused... Suzuki line picks up the Tavares assignment... and if we weren't handcuffed by MB, JKO's line picking up slack on both. That would leave a Evans - CC - Perry line to get "softer" minutes where CC's liabilities are less of a concern.

Toffoli - Suzuki - Anderson
Byron - Danault - Gallagher
Lekhonen - JKO - Armia
CC - Evans - Perry

maybe you bump Lek or Byron to play Tatar, but i didn't see him being all that effective, at either end, when he returned late in the season and didn't have Danault driving his lines defensive efficiency... and if he isn't scoring/contributing on offense, is he really a more useful defensive focused forward than Byron or Lek?

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
Scoring goals in the regular season is not the same as scoring goals in the playoffs. Which is why I got not issue playing proven regular season stud Tomas Tatar with Gallagher even though he is not an NHL forward in the playoffs. Ducharme is a whole new level of bad.

Apparently rookies don’t ever score goals in the playoffs I guess. He’d be the first. Think about the history he’d make though.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
don't disagree completely... but what Tatar brings outside of scoring is replaceable... the dimension CC adds, in particular, if he were put on the 1st PP wave and then used at ES on a line deployed largely in opportune situations (o-zone starts, vs opposing 4th lines), he's a more valuable asset to work with than Tatar imo.

it's a given that Danault-Gallagher need to go up against the opposing top line as much as possible (with Byron? Armia? even Lekhonen at the other wing) and that Danault's line isn't going to be providing much offense anyways for what they give up in being completely shut-down focused... Suzuki line picks up the Tavares assignment... and if we weren't handcuffed by MB, JKO's line picking up slack on both. That would leave a Evans - CC - Perry line to get "softer" minutes where CC's liabilities are less of a concern.

Toffoli - Suzuki - Anderson
Byron - Danault - Gallagher
Lekhonen - JKO - Armia
CC - Evans - Perry

maybe you bump Lek or Byron to play Tatar, but i didn't see him being all that effective, at either end, when he returned late in the season and didn't have Danault driving his lines defensive efficiency... and if he isn't scoring/contributing on offense, is he really a more useful defensive focused forward than Byron or Lek?

Tatar's all-around game on our top line can't be replaced. That is one of the best lines in the league for four years now and they have been dominant against Toronto's top 6 again this year in limited minutes (in xG, no goals were scored). He's also a board monster and can make plays off the wall when healthy. All his underlying numbers are solid even in an off year. If he's not going we're not going to win anyway.

Caufield as a spare forward would be good to have. Right now that has to be KK I would assume, in case Staal can't raise his game. It's worth taking a look if Staal can get fired up and if his body lets him. He's playing for a contract now (if he even wants to play again).

Reactions: FloJack

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Is it confirmed that CC isn't playing? If he doesn't play I honestly hope this team loses. It's just ridiculous to think that it's the right decision to sit a player with so much talent when you struggle to score.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Is it confirmed that CC isn't playing? If he doesn't play I honestly hope this team loses. It's just ridiculous to think that it's the right decision to sit a player with so much talent when you struggle to score.
100% CC doesnt play the first game,staff will go with the vets and see from there

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Tatar's all-around game on our top line can't be replaced. That is one of the best lines in the league for four years now and they have been dominant against Toronto's top 6 again this year in limited minutes (in xG, no goals were scored). He's also a board monster and can make plays off the wall when healthy. All his underlying numbers are solid even in an off year. If he's not going we're not going to win anyway.

Caufield as a spare forward would be good to have. Right now that has to be KK I would assume, in case Staal can't raise his game. It's worth taking a look if Staal can get fired up and if his body lets him. He's playing for a contract now (if he even wants to play again).

A healthy Tatar should play no question about it, but not playing Caufield is a sign that we are playing to not lose instead of playing to win. I'd easily sit Armia or Perry before Caufield. And the only reason Lehkonen and Byron aren't also there is because they've bee pretty hot alongside Evans so you don't want to disrupt their mojo right away.

And it's absolutely not worth sitting KK to take a look to see if Staal can get fired up. Best case scenario is that Staal is able to play as good as KK did last playoffs so it's nonsensical to sit KK just to see if Staal can turn it around and be as good as KK. It's once again playing not to lose by going with a vet you hope will make less mistakes because they are a vet.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
A healthy Tatar should play no question about it, but not playing Caufield is a sign that we are playing to not lose instead of playing to win. I'd easily sit Armia or Perry before Caufield. And the only reason Lehkonen and Byron aren't also there is because they've bee pretty hot alongside Evans so you don't want to disrupt their mojo right away.

And it's absolutely not worth sitting KK to take a look to see if Staal can get fired up. Best case scenario is that Staal is able to play as good as KK did last playoffs so it's nonsensical to sit KK just to see if Staal can turn it around and be as good as KK. It's once again playing not to lose by going with a vet you hope will make less mistakes because they are a vet.
The Kotkaniemi one is even more baffling than Caufield to me.

KK, who has struggled as of late no question --- was incredible in the playoffs last year. He played hard every shift and made things happen, even if he wasn't scoring a ton. Staal can't even skate fast enough to make things happen.

Reactions: Sorinth

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Seems like the coach in Moneyball. "I'll lose, but I won't piss off the veterans, and I'll be able to justify my decisions to the dinosaurs who run other teams." Actually, seems like most NHL coaches.

I'd really like to see what Boudreau would do with this team for a year or so.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
You seriously need to check your priorities. You would actually prefer to see a player play a game than to see your team win the stanley cup? WTF? Go watch Laval is you want to watch kids develop. And don't ever buy a jersey with a players name on it unless the are retired. Trust me. Players come and go :)

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
You seriously need to check your priorities. You would actually prefer to see a player play a game than to see your team win the stanley cup? WTF? Go watch Laval is you want to watch kids develop. And don't ever buy a jersey with a players name on it unless the are retired. Trust me. Players come and go :)

Oh this is gold... this guy thinks the Habs have a chance to win a cup! Oh that's golden! I'd be impressed if they win ONE game.

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
Caufield is an exceptional, put that in your head.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
If anything this mentality is detrimental to Caufield by making him doubt his talent and erode his self-confidence going into the playoffs. That's the last thing you want to do.

Honestly I doubt this has an impact on a kid that played 10 NHL games. The kid is smart enough to know that returning veterans are expected to play. He may be disappointed of course, but not that surprised.

KK however, that is another matter entirely.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
I do but not because I'm prioritizing the players over the team. I want them to lose because I don't believe an organization who thinks their best team is without CC on it can win. Just terrible talent evaluation and its time to move on.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
CC has one goal short of Byron and Danault’s totals in 36 and 43 games less respectively.

Staal has 3 points in 21 games for the Habs and is a -10.

Kotkaniemi, while being given every winger on the team, then being forced to play wing himself, has 20 points in 56 games.

Not only do we have to beat the Leafs, we have to get past the moronic decisions made by the GM and the coach. It’s like watching some kind of Huxley/Orwellian hockey saga unfold.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada

Staal and Lehkonen are the guys we don't need out there, unless Staal was banged up and the week off will bring something different.

Sitting Armia is out of the question. He is a very important player from an xG standpoint, possession, defense, size/strength, skill, transition. When he's fired up, he's a load and we badly need to re-sign him. Caufield doesn't come close to bringing what Armia does. And if Armia doesn't play well, we aren't going to win.

Perry brings better defense, boardwork, and much more experience than CC and generates a similar amount of chances one-on-one that CC would by getting open. Would be nice to have both Perry and Caufield in the lineup because other than Toffoli and Gally we don't have any other consistent shooters, though Anderson usually heats up this time of year.

Merrill is in there because Chariot has no first pass and they don't trust Romanov. Kulak can rush the puck, but has no first pass either. Merrill supposedly does, but turned it over a lot in sheltered minutes so it remains to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad