Prospect Info: Cole Caufield (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Anyone know if there will be a way to steam these upcoming RDS games?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
You just jump to these enormous assumptions without any data. Start a poll on HF, lets find out what people think, not just these thoughts in your own head.
All my thoughts are in my own head. Where are yours?? And my eyes are enough to tell me and apparently all the posters who liked my response that Caufield has a superior shot. It’s not a debate and it’s not worth talking about any further. Such a pointless conversation.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Caufield = better shot than most NHL players, I can agree with this. Plus, he is still so young and will only get better.
Having said that. I just do not see point of debating a young what 18-19 college hockey kid to pro players. Sounds silly to debate IMO.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
To me, Caufield's shot is about his accuracy. It's also decently hard but not many can consistently hit the shots he does, even in the NHL. Suzuki might shoot as hard as Caufield and maybe has more deception, but it's quite obvious to me he doesn't have the same level of confidence in his ability to hit those same small holes. That is a rare talent, but they're so many other factors that come into play to allow him to you use that asset at the highest level.
This is a good take, lots of self belief. Hopefully the Habs nurture that and don't try and make him a better more humble person.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Would anyone here actually take Newhook over Caufield right now? someone on mainboards trying to argue this with me

On draft day I had Newhook at 4 and Caufield at 5. I'd still have to think about it, Newhook brings elite offense, has size and speed. Shot is good but not as good as Caufield.

Reactions: DAChampion

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Would anyone here actually take Newhook over Caufield right now? someone on mainboards trying to argue this with me

I think a good argument could be made for either stance in this case.

Newhook is a hell of a good prospect as well, and I think to the right team he would hold more value than Caufield. My argument in favour of Caufield for the Habs is that his skillset is a bit more unique and dire within our system than Newhooks given we have Suzuki and KK as very promising young C. Caufield’s goal scoring prowess is just on another level and would stand to mesh very well with either Suzuki or KK, IMO.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I would take Caufield over Newhook with no hesitation. Caufield has a trait you can’t really teach and that’s very hard to come by. An elite shot.
Agree with you here. Goals are at a premium in this league so all things being equal, I think advantage goes to the better goal scorer.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would take Caufield over Newhook with no hesitation. Caufield has a trait you can’t really teach and that’s very hard to come by. An elite shot.

Latest rankings say they are close. Caufield ranked 2nd and Newhook ranked 4th on the top 100 NCAA players. The Top 100 NCAA Players to Watch in 2020-21

I'm happy with Caufield but we will have to wait and see how both of them do moving forward. I'm a huge fan of both of them!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I know it's a little dated but Cole is top 5 in the Top 100 NHL prospects list on two separate sites. Given he hasn't done anything to drop and not many have done anything to pass him, I'd say it's pretty close to where it should be now. A lot to get excited about with Cole.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-top-100-prospects-ranking/

Ranking the Top 25 Prospects Around the NHL

I think there will be movement after the next WJC. But yeah, we should be happy that we have Caulfield in our pool for sure! He's going to have a leadership role with the US at the next WJC and I can't wait to see how he performs.

His NCAA season to me is about leadership and how he makes others around him better. Goals and points will come but we know he has that skill already. It's the other parts that he needs to improve at. Play without the puck and play with the puck in tight spaces. How does he escape pressure and how does he feed off his line mates. That's the areas of the game that will make or break him. Look up Galchenyuk

Last edited:
Reactions: Sterling Archer

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
If we took Newhook all you would see on the main board is how Newhook will never put it all together and how Caufield's USNDTP goal records make him a safe bet to be a Rocket Richard winner in his career and that not taking him was a huge mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad