Prospect Info: Cole Caufield (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Meh, I don't put any weight on that, we've seen it way too many times. Good WJC tournament doesn't necessarily translate to anything, or vice versa.
I want to see how he does versus men, that's the real test.

Real test is NHL yes but scouts go watch those international tournaments closely for a reason. It's best on best and the competition is top notch. I think Caufield will put up the points but not what I will be looking at. Play without the puck and play with the puck in small spaces along the walls. Does he stop moving his feet like Drouin does or does he motor along like Gallagher

Less time and space against better physical players... how you handle that is the biggest challenge for prospects.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Real test is NHL yes but scouts go watch those international tournaments closely for a reason. It's best on best and the competition is top notch. I think Caufield will put up the points but not what I will be looking at. Play without the puck and play with the puck in small spaces along the walls. Does he stop moving his feet like Drouin does or does he motor along like Gallagher

Less time and space against better physical players... how you handle that is the biggest challenge for prospects.

Scouts go watch prospects everywhere, nothing really different here, but yes, it's the biggest international tournament for kids so obviously everyone is watching. Nonetheless, it is not a precursor for anything. At worst, it's disappointing but irrelevant anyways, at best it's very promising/interesting but also irrelevant.
In the end, what matters is how the player does graduating to pro-leagues. Once he reaches the AHL or NHL, that's when I'll be paying more attention.
Even at the AHL level, sometimes a player can be great there but suck in the NHL, like Hudon.

Reactions: Vachon23

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
You mean that deadly shot that took a game against an awful goalie to breakout? Listen, I like Cole, he's one of my favorite prospects, but stop putting his shot on a level above Suzuki at this point, because it isn't. Suzuki tore up the CHL then used that shot to have an amazing rookie season.

Suzuki's wrister is deadly accurate, hard and on point. Do you need a reminder of just how good of a shot Suzuki has? Oh and when Cole is sniping those rocket passes from the slot like Tatar can, I'll be right behind you talking our boy up. Until then, it's college hockey.

Watching the video I am again struck by how good Suzuki's balance is on his skates and how high his panic thresh hold is. He looks so calm and effortless.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Scouts go watch prospects everywhere, nothing really different here, but yes, it's the biggest international tournament for kids so obviously everyone is watching. Nonetheless, it is not a precursor for anything. At worst, it's disappointing but irrelevant anyways, at best it's very promising/interesting but also irrelevant.
In the end, what matters is how the player does graduating to pro-leagues. Once he reaches the AHL or NHL, that's when I'll be paying more attention.
Even at the AHL level, sometimes a player can be great there but suck in the NHL, like Hudon.

Prospects bust yes. Probability is low they reach expectations. This chatter on HF boards is all about potential and tracking trends along the way. Production is one thing that is important but there are so many other things to evaluate when we are projecting things forward.

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
People will finally get the chance to see him play and realize that hes so much more then just a sniper for his team. He literally carry the badgers offense on his shoulder by his speed, his forechecking, his ability to create plays for his teamates, the way that he control the puck on the PP even tho I dont lile where hes being used. He really does it all for his team offensively even at the start of the year when he couldnt buy any points he was still dominant & had alot of chance. Great stick handling, seem quicker, more explosive and strong on his skate. Great playmaking abilities and a great shot. Love what Im seeing from him so far.

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
And for who got the best shot between caufield or suzuki, if we strictly talk power I might agree with u and say Caufield(not by far tho, u speaking like hes in a league of his own) but that alone doesnt guarantee you a succesful sniper career in the NhL.

Goalies are quicker, stronger, more able to read plays etc. In the NhL. Suzuki has almost the same power and accuracy as caufield, but his abilities to sell the pass, his ability to make goalies doubt, his ability to change his blade angle while shooting. Thats why his able to have succes against nhl goalies.

Lets see how Caufield shot translate in the N before that hes already a better sniper then a 25 goal scorer and one of the most exciting rookie last year.

Reactions: Habs and Vachon23

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
And for who got the best shot between caufield or suzuki, if we strictly talk power I might agree with u and say Caufield(not by far tho, u speaking like hes in a league of his own) but that alone doesnt guarantee you a succesful sniper career in the NhL.

Goalies are quicker, stronger, more able to read plays etc. In the NhL. Suzuki has almost the same power and accuracy as caufield, but his abilities to sell the pass, his ability to make goalies doubt, his ability to change his blade angle while shooting. Thats why his able to have succes against nhl goalies.

Lets see how Caufield shot translate in the N before that hes already a better sniper then a 25 goal scorer and one of the most exciting rookie last year.

I really doubt Suzuki’s shot is comparable to Caufield’s.

Suggesting we should wait and see about one of the premier goalscoring talents outside of the nhl is more cynical than anything else.

As Trump would say, we’ve never seen anything like the goal numbers he’s put up. Gargantuan, yuge, never been seen before.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

RDS will broadcast both Wisconsin games this weekend. We'll get a chance to watch Caufield and Gorniak.

Saturday at 8PM and Sinday at 5PM.

Awesome! I switched from Eastlink to Bell recently so I guess I got to get RDS back on my list. In northern NB, RDS is part of the default package but not in Halifax. It's annoying but only like $5 a month. I tend to watch games in both English and French depending on who is more annoying with the broadcast on any given night :laugh:

Reactions: MeanMugging91

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I really doubt Suzuki’s shot is comparable to Caufield’s.

Suggesting we should wait and see about one of the premier goalscoring talents outside of the nhl is more cynical than anything else.

As Trump would say, we’ve never seen anything like the goal number’s he’s put up.

Agreed. Suzuki has a solid shot but he is a center and it's only part of his overall package. Caufield main asset is his shot and he's been close to goal/game his entire career so far. He can snipe corners and is a goal scoring machine.

Bad debate IMO. We really are board and need something good to talk about eh :laugh:

Reactions: malcb33

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
People will finally get the chance to see him play and realize that hes so much more then just a sniper for his team. He literally carry the badgers offense on his shoulder by his speed, his forechecking, his ability to create plays for his teamates, the way that he control the puck on the PP even tho I dont lile where hes being used. He really does it all for his team offensively even at the start of the year when he couldnt buy any points he was still dominant & had alot of chance. Great stick handling, seem quicker, more explosive and strong on his skate. Great playmaking abilities and a great shot. Love what Im seeing from him so far.

When I think about Caufield, I realize he has more to his game than his shot but "forchecking" is not one that comes to mind at something he excels at. Honestly, I wish he had complete game like that but until he produces with less time and space and more physical players, I will consider him a PP asset. It's not something to be overly worried about but he's not at Martin St Louis level yet.

Anybody have his age 18 stats in the NCAA? How much on the PP, PK, and even strength?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He has a better shot than 95% of NHLers right now. It’s silly how hard, quick and accurate it is. It’s even better than it was last year and it was a killer then.

Im more interested to see how his new and improved game and stick handling will look in the NHL. He looks like a man possessed out there and it looks way too easy against men. How it translates in the NHL will be cool to see.

Your statement is just so out of reason, I have no idea how to debate you. 95% of the NHL is saying Caufield's shot is top 2 on every team in the league. Think about that statement, It isn't true. Just pump the brakes a bit and think about what you are saying.

Let him play in the NHL and see if he can get his 'legendary' shot off.

Reactions: Miller Time

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
To me, Caufield's shot is about his accuracy. It's also decently hard but not many can consistently hit the shots he does, even in the NHL. Suzuki might shoot as hard as Caufield and maybe has more deception, but it's quite obvious to me he doesn't have the same level of confidence in his ability to hit those same small holes. That is a rare talent, but they're so many other factors that come into play to allow him to you use that asset at the highest level.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Prospects bust yes. Probability is low they reach expectations. This chatter on HF boards is all about potential and tracking trends along the way. Production is one thing that is important but there are so many other things to evaluate when we are projecting things forward.

Most of the things to evaluate we don't have access to. All we can do is watch games or highlights and production. Behavior and environment are two major factors in development, neither of which we have much info on, hence the neverending debate on ''is it a bad draft pick or a developmental issue''.

Reactions: malcb33

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Most of the things to evaluate we don't have access to. All we can do is watch games or highlights and production. Behavior and environment are two major factors in development, neither of which we have much info on, hence the neverending debate on ''is it a bad draft pick or a developmental issue''.

Agreed. We are smart enough to evaluate with the info we have but it's limited.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Your statement is just so out of reason, I have no idea how to debate you. 95% of the NHL is saying Caufield's shot is top 2 on every team in the league. Think about that statement, It isn't true. Just pump the brakes a bit and think about what you are saying.

Let him play in the NHL and see if he can get his 'legendary' shot off.
Caufield having a better shot than Suzuki isn’t up for debate by anyone but you. It’s a world is round and not flat argument.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't know who has the better shot but all I know is that Caufield's release, velocity, accuracy is top notch.

He's so able to change the angle on his shot and mask his intentions of where he wants to put it.

The only thing I'll say in comparison to Suzuki is that Caufield seems to be much more of a volume shooter.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I don't know who has the better shot but all I know is that Caufield's release, velocity, accuracy is top notch.

He's so able to change the angle on his shot and mask his intentions of where he wants to put it.

The only thing I'll say in comparison to Suzuki is that Caufield seems to be much more of a volume shooter.
He's absolutely a shoot first guy because he has such a deadly shot that lands where it supposed to more often than not. Let's be honest, if Caufiled didn't have a killer shot, he'd be a 3rd rounder, if that. His number one skill by a long shot is his shot. Suzuki has a complete skill set, including a great shot. It's just not nearly as good as Caufield and doesn't have to be. That's not his role.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov and 417

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
You mean that deadly shot that took a game against an awful goalie to breakout? Listen, I like Cole, he's one of my favorite prospects, but stop putting his shot on a level above Suzuki at this point, because it isn't. Suzuki tore up the CHL then used that shot to have an amazing rookie season.

Suzuki's wrister is deadly accurate, hard and on point. Do you need a reminder of just how good of a shot Suzuki has? Oh and when Cole is sniping those rocket passes from the slot like Tatar can, I'll be right behind you talking our boy up. Until then, it's college hockey.

I’m sorry but the argument that Suzuki has a good shot is just completely removed from the point of this thread. No one is questioning that.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Caufield having a better shot than Suzuki isn’t up for debate by anyone but you. It’s a world is round and not flat argument.

You just jump to these enormous assumptions without any data. Start a poll on HF, lets find out what people think, not just these thoughts in your own head.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
I’m sorry but the argument that Suzuki has a good shot is just completely removed from the point of this thread. No one is questioning that.

So get back to me when Caufield puts a few goals in the NHL, like Suzuki has, otherwise this entire argument is pointless. I don't care what he does in NCAA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad