Prospect Info: Cole Caufield (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I think a good argument could be made for either stance in this case.

Newhook is a hell of a good prospect as well, and I think to the right team he would hold more value than Caufield. My argument in favour of Caufield for the Habs is that his skillset is a bit more unique and dire within our system than Newhooks given we have Suzuki and KK as very promising young C. Caufield’s goal scoring prowess is just on another level and would stand to mesh very well with either Suzuki or KK, IMO.
Remember what we did to Cammalleri?

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Patience with him. The guy has the offensive talent. Let's go step by step for once please. Habs fans should stop focusing on Newhook let's focus on our own prospect.

Agreed, both of them would probably go top 10 in a redraft. Let's just enjoy the fact that we got one of them. I'm sure Avs fans are excited as us and that's allright!

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Patience with him. The guy has the offensive talent. Let's go step by step for once please. Habs fans should stop focusing on Newhook let's focus on our own prospect.

We don’t even need to be patient, since if you want to base his skillset on what we’ve seen so far he’s very exciting

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Your statement is just so out of reason, I have no idea how to debate you. 95% of the NHL is saying Caufield's shot is top 2 on every team in the league. Think about that statement, It isn't true. Just pump the brakes a bit and think about what you are saying.

Let him play in the NHL and see if he can get his 'legendary' shot off.
He will . He has that special quality you cant teach. Suzuki was never known for his shot in junior, it was good but his other traits were his strength. Overall he'll be a better player than Cole but I fully expect Cole to be a premier goal scorer in the NHL. His shot is special

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
He will . He has that special quality you cant teach. Suzuki was never known for his shot in junior, it was good but his other traits were his strength. Overall he'll be a better player than Cole but I fully expect Cole to be a premier goal scorer in the NHL. His shot is special

Suzuki was very well known for his wrist shot in junior.....

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Sorry bud, Suzuki's shot has never been questioned and was considered top tier in jr hockey. I also never questioned Cole's shot, I just said to suggest it is better than 95% of the NHL is statistically a ridiculous statement to make at this time. I think Caufield could be a really good player, but his shot only works if he can find the open spots and create some space. He is small, he has to rely on his accuracy which he seems to be really good at. There isn't a lot of puck pressure on him in the NCAA, he's skating around pretty untouched.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Sorry bud, Suzuki's shot has never been questioned and was considered top tier in jr hockey. I also never questioned Cole's shot, I just said to suggest it is better than 95% of the NHL is statistically a ridiculous statement to make at this time. I think Caufield could be a really good player but his shot only works if he can find the open spots and create some space. He is small, he has to rely on his accuracy which he seems to be really good at. There isn't a lot of puck pressure on him in the NCAA, he's skating around pretty untouched.
Earlier in this thread you said only time will tell if his shot is NHL caliber, sorry but that is a ridiculous statement. Just the fact that you can't see his shot is already above NHL average shows you're clearly underestimating his shot because of the league he plays in. What remains to be seen is if he will have the quickness and strength to use his elite shot effectively at the NHL level.

Last edited:

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Earlier in this thread you said only time will tell if his shot is NHL caliber, sorry but that is a ridiculous statement. Just the fact that you can't see his shot is already an above average NHL shot, shows me you're clearly underestimating his shot because of the league he plays in. What remains to be seen is if he will have the quickness and strength to use his elite shot effectively at the NHL level.

Pure nonsense. I said he didn't have a shot better than 95% of the league, which is what was suggested. Read much? I have never trashed his shot either, he's one of my favorite prospects. So what's his deadly shot? The wrist shot? I think he has a great one timer, but its not on the elite level.

I mean if you are going to trash my prospect evaluation at least get the talking points right.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Pure nonsense. I said he didn't have a shot better than 95% of the league, which is what was suggested. Read much? I have never trashed his shot either, he's one of my favorite prospects. So what's his deadly shot? The wrist shot? I think he has a great one timer, but its not on the elite level.

I mean if you are going to trash my prospect evaluation at least get the talking points right.
I stand by that. If you’ve ever actually seen his shot, you’d know that’s true.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Yet it isn't a fact, it's just your opinion. It's ok to have this opinion, I just disagree with it because I've seen enough jr hockey in my life to recognize a 'generational' shot that you speak of. He has a very nice shot, time will tell if it's NHL calibre.

Actually, yes I do read much. Read the bolded in the first quote. If you're going to say BS expect people to call you out on it. You clearly said time will tell if his shot is NHL caliber which is ridiculous.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Agreed, both of them would probably go top 10 in a redraft. Let's just enjoy the fact that we got one of them. I'm sure Avs fans are excited as us and that's allright!

look back at that draft and the top 15, not sure Caufield gets in the top 10. I like Caufield a lot but looks like a pretty great draft year at the moment.

Reactions: Vachon23

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
look back at that draft and the top 15, not sure Caufield gets in the top 10. I like Caufield a lot but looks like a pretty great draft year at the moment.

I think Caufield and Newhook would go top 10. They would go above Cozens, Zegras, Podkolzin, Broberg, Soderstrom, York, Knight, Boldy and maybe Turcotte. Only behind Hughes, Kakko, Dach, Byram and Seider (maybe Turcotte). Seider was underrated at the time of the draft. That's just my opinion, but yes, looks like a great draft!

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I think Caufield and Newhook would go top 10. They would go above Cozens, Zegras, Podkolzin, Broberg, Soderstrom, York, Knight, Boldy and maybe Turcotte. Only behind Hughes, Kakko, Dach, Byram and Seider (maybe Turcotte). Seider was underrated at the time of the draft. That's just my opinion, but yes, looks like a great draft!

Obviously this topic is extremely subjective but it is very unlikely that Caufield would go before Zegras, Cozens or Turcotte in a redraft as he is not going to dislodge 3 players with real 1st line center upside. Caufield's ability to play a complete game is just too limited due to his size. He has the potential to be absolutely elite in some aspects of the game but his huge size disadvantage remains the same as it was on his draft day when he was outproducing every player in the draft not named Hughes. His development has hardly been a surprise to anyone, including every team that passed on him and I am sure most would pass again as Caufield will need to prove it at the highest level to erase the doubts that are there.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Actually, yes I do read much. Read the bolded in the first quote. If you're going to say BS expect people to call you out on it. You clearly said time will tell if his shot is NHL caliber which is ridiculous.

I stand by that statement, because having a shot in the NCAA doesn't mean it translates to the NHL and history has proven that time and time again. Does he have a nice shot? Yes. Will it translate into the NHL? Who knows. Yakupov had a wicked shot too.

I've followed prospects and message boards long enough to know nothing is certain till they play with in the NHL. The last 20 years we have seen hype beyond belief on message boards, it rarely pans out.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Obviously this topic is extremely subjective but it is very unlikely that Caufield would go before Zegras, Cozens or Turcotte in a redraft as he is not going to dislodge 3 players with real 1st line center upside. Caufield's ability to play a complete game is just too limited due to his size. He has the potential to be absolutely elite in some aspects of the game but his huge size disadvantage remains the same as it was on his draft day when he was outproducing every player in the draft not named Hughes. His development has hardly been a surprise to anyone, including every team that passed on him and I am sure most would pass again as Caufield will need to prove it at the highest level to erase the doubts that are there.
Ah That lazy size argument.
Shows you dont even consider other aspects of his game.

Reactions: Dutronc and 26Mats

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I stand by that statement, because having a shot in the NCAA doesn't mean it translates to the NHL and history has proven that time and time again. Does he have a nice shot? Yes. Will it translate into the NHL? Who knows. Yakupov had a wicked shot too.

I've followed prospects and message boards long enough to know nothing is certain till they play with in the NHL. The last 20 years we have seen hype beyond belief on message boards, it rarely pans out.
A wicked shot is a wicked shot no matter the league you play... What's going to change is the environment and we'll see if he'll be able to use that shot as effective in the NHL.

But that doesn't change the fact that he has an elite shot.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

Please don’t criticize other people’s ability to understand the talking points after the last few posts you’ve made.

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018

I get what you're saying, but his shot IS special (maybe not top 5% special yet, but it could get there). It has never been in question and if we're talking purely on shots, it's above NHL average right now. Other aspects of his game are in question (and developping well), THOSE aspects may hold him back, not his shot. He may never be able to adapt physically, which will hinder his shot usage, but, again, his shot (in terms of release quickness, mechanics, accuracy, etc.) is great.

As for Yakupov, he had no hockey IQ, pretty bad comparison IMO. He also skated like he had bees around him, such a weird player lmao

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Does anyone wonder why a 5’7” player who’s a good skater and playmaker bit far from great was ranked so high? Not really because everyone knows it’s because of his shot or more accurately, his collection of shots that led him to become the best scorer (by far) in USHL history. Without that shot and ability to score he’d have been drafted several rounds later.

So for a player to be drafted as high as he was due to his incredible shot must tell you how truly great a shooter he is. Watching him use it easily justifies this as he can thread a needle in the blink of an eye with the goalie barely even moving because it’s so quick and accurate. That type of shot is not common anywhere and if he was 3” taller he’d have been a top 5 pick, easily.

Reactions: Dutronc

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Ah That lazy size argument.
Shows you dont even consider other aspects of his game.

Lazy argument?????

That is exactly what you are doing. I said he is elite in some aspects of the game but he still would not significantly move up in the draft because he has developed exactly as everyone expected him to develop.......including every team that passed on him. The questions that they had were solely based on his height, please enlighten me on any new developments in this area that would change their minds.

Instead of attacking everyone with this tribal mentality try and allow the facts to determine the content and tone of your reply. The discussion was not about where I would personally rank Caufield. It was about whether or not he would go ahead of the players that the poster that I was replying to felt that he might be drafted ahead of in a redraft. In order for teams to reconsider drafting him he would have to be better than they expected so he likely would have needed to torch the NCAA instead of being close to a PPG thus far in his career.

I was very happy with his selection at the time of the draft and I still am. If you find anything short of uninhibited fawning and hyperbole laced superlatives to describe his greatness as an affront to your allegiance to Cole and the Montreal Canadiens then I suggest that you might want to avoid reading my posts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad