Prospect Info: Cole Caufield (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
More and more I think he will be packaged. I think he was definitely a BPA pick with the thought in mind that we could trade him.

It's either that or we drastically re-adjust our team to make room for him. Reading recently that we might deal Danault and keep Domi tells me that we aren't addressing size and likely shouldn't be saving a spot caufield.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
But he could be used to obtain an massive need that is already proven as well. He's definitely not off the table for me.

I think that's the only way he gets moved - for a more proven version of himself, ie a RH goal scorer.

This team desperately needs finishers. He is a pure finisher.

Timmins has stated they team partially picked so many centres and D because of their value as assets. Never heard them say that about Caufield.

He could pretty easily end up playing pro hockey in Montreal or Laval this season, depending on what happens in the NCAA.

Reactions: Deebs

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Probably our number one weakness on this team is no shooting talent.
This kid is probably as pure prospect in that regard as you can get.
He's not moving unless it's for Laine.

He can be the next Laine as well, who knows.
I don't think he should be moved this year, guys like Poehling, Fleury and a couple others can be used as trading chip. Not KK, Suzuki,Caufield, Romanov. Those 4 should be untouchables IMHO

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
I don't see it, he's a massive need.

I fully agree, but I don't know for sure you can really have a forward corps consisting of byron, domi, drouin, Gallagher, caufield. Honestly it might be the smallest forward corps in history of nhl. I'm not a size focused guy, as in I don't dismiss a player on that attribute alone, but I have to recognize the fact that we need some size. I want to keep caufield but we've got to build for that by replacing at least two of our smaller forwards.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I fully agree, but I don't know for sure you can really have a forward corps consisting of byron, domi, drouin, Gallagher, caufield. Honestly it might be the smallest forward corps in history of nhl. I'm not a size focused guy, as in I don't dismiss a player on that attribute alone, but I have to recognize the fact that we need some size. I want to keep caufield but we've got to build for that by replacing at least two of our smaller forwards.

Well, Byron is old and a depth guy.
Drouin sucks
Domi likely forces his way out of here.

We'll be ok.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
He can be the next Laine as well, who knows.
I don't think he should be moved this year, guys like Poehling, Fleury and a couple others can be used as trading chip. Not KK, Suzuki,Caufield, Romanov. Those 4 should be untouchables IMHO
Laine is going to be traded only for prime prospects and good NHLers. But I'm with you, I keep that young core of players.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Laine is going to be traded only for prime prospects and good NHLers. But I'm with you, I keep that young core of players.

Maybe we can move them Drouin + and he can reunite with Ehlers in Winnipeg.
If not, personally I wouldn't trade the top prospects we have, they're going to be dominant for years to come.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

there's so much roster turnover and we are looking at perhaps a major change coming after next season depending on how the UFA plus expansion draft plays out. Say Caufield plays in the NCAA this season and next he spends most of his time in Laval, so in '22-'23 he becomes a full regular. Who knows what the roster will look like but even if we are small, who's to say how long all those players are here and for how long since we would be talking 3, 4, 5 years from now. On top of that the first thing this team need is more skill, worry about size after they improve on the skill level by a good bit.

Reactions: HBDay

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Trading Caufield would be a huge mistake imo. There is a real chance he becomes one of the best goal scorers in the NHL based on his previous production. He's not someone you move to solve the size problem, you address the size problem first so you can add Caufield and position him to succeed. Whether or not you think he reaches his potential, his ceiling is that of a perennial Rocket Richard candidate. We are starved for goals and Caufield provides them in abundance

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Only way we trade Caufield is for an elite sniper like Laine...We ain't gonna trade him for the sake of it to grab Dzingel or Johnsson etc...

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
KK is a big boy.
If Berge can find a big LW ala Tkachuk then Caufield can thrive

Big LW - KK - Caufield

Also it would seem LW's are easier to find the great RW's.

Tatar will be traded.

If Habs can get a good LW with size then Caufields lack of size is less of an issue because the LWinger and KK will open up the ice for Cole.

Then get a RW with size and play him on a line with Drouin and Suzuki and were in business. Laine would be ideal.

Drouin - Suzuki - Laine

That's a well balanced line although I would jettison Drouin for a can of beans if I could.

Tuch is a player I really like but he's borderline top 6 RW. More of an Armia and trading Tuch for Armia is a sideways move at best.

So Tatar, Domi, Danault, Kulak (if Eddy signs) Mete, pics and prospects are what's available to fill holes out.

With this year's picks and next year's pics I would be packaging a player with a 2nd or 3rd rounder and possibly a prospect to improve.

Tatar + pick for someone slightly better than Tatar and maybe bigger.

Domi or Danault + pick + Prospect for a great RW.

Kulak + pick + prospect for a good RD.

You end up with something like this as JUST an example.

Drouin - Suzuki - Laine
Huberdeau - Kotka - Gally

If Huberdeau Is available I give alot to get him. Same with Laine.

Can these 2 be had with the vets, prospects and picks we have on the table this year and next?

Gotta go crazy and all in. 8 year plan and counting. Hell I'd even trade Gally if it can get us Laine.

Confirm who the core will be: Suzuki, KK, Caufield, Romanov, Norlinder, Struble and make all others available.

All pics too!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
"The important thing for us is that he can play between September and November. Ideally, he would spend the year in Europe." - Marc Bergevin on #Habs Cole Caufield.
Pas nécessaire de se départir d’un défenseur, assure Marc Bergevin

Interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

Defense is set, unless some opportunity comes up. We have 7, not including Juulsen. Juulsen is an uncertain case, but needs to play. Traslation: he won't be the #7 or #8 D. Will be sent to Laval or traded if he doesn't crack the top 6.

He wants to get a big goal scorer but they don't grow on trees. Edit: trade talks end quickly when teams ask for KK, suzuki, or Romanov.

He wants Caufield in Europe, but Harris and Struble won't interest Europen clubs and won't go to Junior because they want to stay in school.

Ylonen will start in Finland, but has an out clause to come to Habs training camp.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chr1s97 and Deebs
Aug 25, 2009
éal
Which Europe leagues are with getting out clause? Finland and Switzerland mostly? Maybe you can negotiate one in KHL also.

I don’t think going to Russia would be an easy move for a teenager. A team in Bern or something like that would offer a smoother adaptation probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad