Prospect Info: Cole Caufield (Part 5) - No Sophmore Slump, please Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
The future will prove you re wrong. Like picking KK over Tkachuck was the wrong pick.

Ask yourself why he was still available at spot 15. Way way too small and unidimensional player.

The future will prove you wrong. Like picking Tkachuck over KK was the better pick.

Ask yourself why Newhoom was still available at spot 16. Nothing really stands out with this better college team player.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Caufield has serious goal scoring ability, like top percentile type of talent. That alone is worth his ranking. The real question is more how we should not ruin him. I think being patient and let him develop and dominate every level is the way to go. The kid has also top attitude and he seems like very motivated. I definitely expect a better year

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
The future will prove you re wrong. Like picking KK over Tkachuck was the wrong pick.

Ask yourself why he was still available at spot 15. Way way too small and unidimensional player.
Waaaayyyyy to early to say we picked the wrong guy (kotkaniemi over tkachuk), everyone knew tkachuk was the more finished product, we went for potential and i am fine with that, time will tell who was right, let's revisit in a few years, not saying we picked the right or wrong guy, just saying, patience... Caufield was classic dinosaur nhl gm crap imo, too small!? Ok maybe, I'll take an unidimensonal 30goalscoring machine over a bigger, safer guy just cause, the kid can shoot like not many players can even dream of... Again, let's see, too early

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Caufield has serious goal scoring ability, like top percentile type of talent. That alone is worth his ranking. The real question is more how we should not ruin him. I think being patient and let him develop and dominate every level is the way to go. The kid has also top attitude and he seems like very motivated. I definitely expect a better year

Really? You think that Caulfield can be a top-5 forward in the NHL for goalscoring?

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
He went at 15 for the same reason Alex DeBrincat went at 39. Where's DeBrincat go in a redraft today? 10 is probably the absolute lowest.

Reactions: Redux91

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
I don't know that's why I'm asking. For Caulfield to be a top-5 goalscorer would be incredible.
With his past performance he absolutely has the potential to be a perennial Rocket candidate. The question is will he ever reach his potential or will his size limit him?

Reactions: DAChampion

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Are there never any good players selected after #14?
If you look at the overall percentage of players taken after 10th spot over the history of the draft, no, the extreme majority are not good players. Most don't even exceed 3-4 years of service.

There will always be exceptions, just not the norm. Hopefully we have found one in Cole. He was a good pick at that spot

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
He went at 15 for the same reason Alex DeBrincat went at 39. Where's DeBrincat go in a redraft today? 10 is probably the absolute lowest.
Hes better then poolparty, juolevi, jost, nylander...better then top 10 imo

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I don't know that's why I'm asking. For Caulfield to be a top-5 goalscorer would be incredible.
Not totally impossible with how good his shot is but I think that'd be the absolute upper limit of his potential and everything would have to go right. We'd also need to have an elite playmaker with him, like if we somehow win the lotto for Lafreniere it's a lot more plausible. If Pastrnak is playing with Bergeron and Marchand he's not getting outscored by Caufield playing with Domi and Lehkonen or whoever. Part of the issue is he plays the same position as our best forward so he can't be plugged on to the top line as easily unless he figures out LW.

Not to keep going back DeBrincat comparisons over and over again but it's rare to have such a direct comparable. Since he entered the league (17-18 to present) DeBrincat is 23rd in goals. I think that's probably around what we could hope for, it'd be tough to get much higher without an elite linemate. That seems like a reasonable upper limit since the guys ahead of DeBrincat other than Laine/Ovechkin are all more well rounded star players and not just pure snipers.

Reactions: DAChampion

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Really? You think that Caulfield can be a top-5 forward in the NHL for goalscoring?
Simple answer yes. He has all the shooting ability and mentality. The question is how to make sure he can reach that level with Montreal. I think he needs to feel comfortable and get used progressively to play at higher level. Another good season and possibly get the monkey off his back from the last wjc with a better tournament next christmas holidays and then the AHL. Once he gets his grove in the AHL gets him some NHL icetime.

The problem in montreal is that we always want thing instantly.

Jerryvvv

Apr 4, 2020
You can’t seriously think Kotka and Caufield are in any way similar to Galchenyuk.

I ain't getting my hopes up until they prove they can contribute at the NHL level on a regular basis,

After all of our failed first round busts, I know better by now, and so should you!!

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
You can’t seriously think Kotka and Caufield are in any way similar to Galchenyuk.
I'd actually argue that Galchenyuk was a better prospect than both. Galchenyuk never learned to process the game but he was more talented than Kotka and Caufield. KK still needs to work on puck skills, strength and skating. Caufield is a tremendous goalscorer, but besides that, he hasn't really shown he can be great in other aspects of the game. Still early for both guys, but Galchenyuk was an awesome prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad